Donkey Kong Country Returns

My god, the gimmicks in this game...

Wow, the trailer looks great! I liked that intro especially when DK started to beat up the little tikki. It seems really interesting and the enemies seem really similar to the original DKC games in my opinion!

Seriously, there is absolutely NO enemy that comes straight from the DKC games. Not even one.

Most of the enemies resemble Jungle Beat, even though seriously there is no use of an enemy in a previous game in that exact form. Everything is renovated and brand new.

FunkyKong84 said:
Seriously, there is absolutely NO enemy that comes straight from the DKC games. Not even one.
Are you sure about that?

Giantspider.jpg

PurpleSpiders.PNG

As for the giant bat, I think it looks similar to the ones from Donkey Kong 64, King of Swing, and Jungle Climber, only bigger.

Anyway, some more footage is up. This game just keeps getting better.

Bats and spiders can be found in the Mario games too. It really doesn't mean that it's the exact same enemies transfered to the modern game. Retro intentionally did not use an exact enemy from a past game. They used some concepts that were definitely altered. You can even see a chicken that resembles the chicken from Jungle Beat and the bird boss that's exactly like the Roc boss from the same game. It's not the same enemies though.

Fawfulfury65 said:
That giant bat doesn't seem like a DKC enemy.
They look like Crobats from a certain angle.

FunkyKong84 said:
Bats and spiders can be found in the Mario games too.
OMG! Bats and spiders can be found in Pokemon too! And in EarthBound! And in Kirby! :O

@Yin Yarn: guess what? Moles and piranha plants are used in the Mario games too! :D

You can't really speak of reference to a past game's enemies when it comes to generic animals like that. If it was something specific like Zingers, Porcupines, Armies and Klaptraps then yes, that's a use of an old enemy in a new game. None of that is found in DKCR, everything's new there.

I think she was saying that it doesn't seem like the kind of enemy that would appear in a Donkey Kong Country game, and that's it more Jungle Beat-esque.

Zoycite said:
I think she was saying that it doesn't seem like the kind of enemy that would appear in a Donkey Kong Country game, and that's it more Jungle Beat-esque.

Well, pretty much every enemy is new for this game. Of course, some of the enemies are based on Mario series enemies, such as those plants that resemble Piranha Plants.

I kind of think it is good and bad there are new enemies.

It's bad because it might not feel the same, but on the other hand, it seems fresh and new and gives us more articles to write about.

It's only Rambi and Squawks who will be limited in a small role (he helps u find puzzle pieces). Plus, the Pig in the checkpoint can be seen as an animal buddy, maybe the whale in the trailer too. Other than that, the rocket barrel replaced Squawk's function in DKC2 & 3.

I'm surprised Dixie got the shaft (or so it seems so far), they've just released series 3 of the figures and it has her and Donkey Kong in it. Dixie before Bowser, the nerve!

Dixie before Bowser where? Are u talking about Mario Sports Mix?

I'm not talking about any game, Goldie (the Mario mini figurine people) have released series 3 of the collection, and it has Fire Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Dixie, Yoshi and Toad. Bowser still has yet to be in the collection!

kat-rin koopa said:
I'm not talking about any game, Goldie (the Mario mini figurine people) have released series 3 of the collection, and it has Fire Mario, Peach, Donkey Kong, Dixie, Yoshi and Toad. Bowser still has yet to be in the collection!
Are you talking about something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Super-Brothers-Master-Replicas-Figure/dp/B001U5AMLQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1289340134&sr=1-4

If you are, can I have a link to them. I love these things :D

Back on topic: I know this might not matter to some of you, but have any of you realized that DKCR has yet to feature any specific female characters?

That trailer tune is BEAST.

Also, I wasn't aware it was out so soon. Just over a month until the Japanese have it.

Back