Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Re: Project Needlemouse

Prince Bowser Jr. said:
People complain over the dumbest crap sometimes.

Sega is giving the fans what they want, and people still find something to whine about.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnpleasableFanbase

Sometimes, fanbases are, or appear to be, perennially complaining not just about minute details of the Canon, but about everything. This sometimes relates to fake fannishness: some people just don't like a piece of fiction, yet insist on consuming it. It's not just Snark Bait, it's just some people who call themselves fans but think, "Well, those new additions aren't very good. But, then again, it wasn't very good in the beginning either."

A possible sign of an Unpleasable Fanbase is a Catch-22: if they complain about one thing, and the people behind the franchise listen and fix it, only to have other parts of the fanbase complain about the change. This is because, in extremely large fandoms, different portions of the fandom complain about distinctly different things, so that any change will inevitably anger someone.

Basically, this is about a fanbase which is so varied and divided in opinion that it's impossible to give everyone in it what they want. No individual fan is truly unpleasable (well, ALMOST none,) but when it's impossible to please everyone, you have an Unpleasable Fanbase.

If there was a petition to change Dr. Eggman's name back to Robotnik, at least for the America/European versions, I'd sign that.

But still, it's utterly useless at this point. If Sega's gone this far already, they're not going to change anything, regardless of what bitching fans say.

Also, someone needs to change the name of this topic.

Smashgoom202 said:
If there was a petition to change Dr. Eggman's name back to Robotnik, at least for the America/European versions, I'd sign that.

Why won’t anyone reference the fact that his name was ALWAYS Dr.Eggman in Japan???

Re: Sonic the Hedeghog 4

^It may have been, but I still sound silly and unthreatening . Not all changes for localization are bad.

wsbm said:
Smashgoom202 said:

Why won’t anyone reference the fact that his name was ALWAYS Dr.Eggman in Japan???
I KNOW he was always called Dr. Eggman in Japan, that's why I said "at least in America/Europe", because there, he was originally called Robotnik, and since this game is trying to be a throw-back to the older Sonic games, and since they're using the term "Badniks", I think it would only make sense to call him Robotnik in the American/European versions of the game, you know?

I agree, but they've started using the "Badnik" term again, ever since Sonic Rivals 2 came out in 2007, and yet they STILL referred to Robotnik as "Dr. Eggman". I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hates that name with a passion. I don't understand why they couldn't just leave that stupid name in Japan, where it came from, especially after going through all that trouble of trying to think of a new, better name. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I don't hate the name "Eggman", its just my preference for the two names changes depending on the game, and whoever calls him such.

Given that Dr. Robotnik is his real, family name, you'd think he would call himself that, instead of Eggman, since in the American/European versions of the games, it started out as Sonic and his friends calling him that in order to make fun of him (in Sonic Adventure), but then in Sonic Adventure 2, he starts calling himself that.

It's kind of like Capcom suddenly deciding to call their Mega Man characters by their original Japanese names, and call Mega Man "Rock Man", Proto Man "Blues", and Bass "Forte" in each new installment from now on, regardless of region.

But, whatever, I'm cool with both names, but for a case like this, I'd prefer Robotnik.

Come to think of it, the "Dr. Robotnik" name was recently used again in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Although both names were used in that game, there have been quite a few instances where he referred to himself as Robotnik, and that's the first time that name was used in-game (rather than in the manuals) since Sonic Adventure (not counting the part in Sonic Adventure 2, where the words "Robotnik Empire were in the background of one scene).

Uniju said:
It doesn't need a new character, because they're trying to go back to the old games. Obviously, it's target audience is nostalgic fanboys who would be furious if there was anything NEW in it. All three of the original series did introduce new characters, though...
Now that you mention it, there have been several people who have been nitpicking and complaining over the fact that Sonic's eyes are green in the game. In my opinion, the REAL issue is the fact that they didn't even bother using the classic designs, when this is supposed to be a game that's geared toward the older fanbase, as WELL as taking place right after Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

SolarBlaze said:
Come to think of it, the "Dr. Robotnik" name was recently used again in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Although both names were used in that game, there have been quite a few instances where he referred to himself as Robotnik, and that's the first time that name was used in-game (rather than in the manuals) since Sonic Adventure 2 (not counting the part where the words "Robotnik Empire were in the background of one scene).
Hey, yeah, you're right! Then again, the game was made by Canadian developer BioWare, who took a lot of stuff from the American continuity and added it into this game.

Classic Sonic is seen in the loading sections. There, now stop complaining, people wanted classic Sonic to be in the game.

Seriously, though, it looks... alright. There aren't that many zones, but then again, this IS "Episode 1".

(I apologize if bumping topics are against the rules in this forum too)

Anyways I hope it really turns out to be a good game. I wonder what the Special Stages in this game are gonna be like, as well. Sonic has gone downhill quite a bit... Poor blue hedgehog. :(

I actually have some hope for this game now, i'd rather 3D more than 2D (Am i the only one that didn't like the classics that much?), And i think people nitpick way too much! Who gives a crap if he's called Robotnik or Eggman? Or if Sonic looks Classic or New? Seriously, you guys are almost as bad as the fans without knowing it!

Ugozima's Rival said:
One word: Nostalgia
Exactly, and it doesn't feel nostalgic if they don't use the right things, which is bad because this game is completely riding on nostalgia as it's key selling point.

Crackin355 said:
(Am i the only one that didn't like the classics that much?)
I can't say I don't like the classics in general, but I'm not a big fan of the most popular of the classics(Sonic 3 & Knuckles, although I'm sure to someone who hates Sonic 2 that would seem more popular than it), and I always liked the newer games(Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2) more than the classics in general. Sonic 1 was fun and all, but I just had more fun with Sonic Adventure. Maybe it was the story(I'm not going to say it was a good or original story, it really wasn't, but it was a lot better at keeping the game going than say, Shadow the Hedgehog's story), but whatever it was I just like it more than the old games.

Weather it draws the most inspiration from Sonic 3 or whatever, I'm looking forward to at least trying this game out. It's probably going to amazingly replicate the classic games and be a whole lot of fun, and people are probably still going to complain that it's "zamf NU SONIK!!!!11!1111?2//12 uld sonik rox! sonik 3 wuz last reel sonik!"

I understand the nostalgia subject but still, I agree with the guy that says Sonic fans nitpick way too much. I mean, both New Super Mario Bros games focus on nostalgia, and nobody ever complained about Mario and the gang having their new "gamecube and onwards" looks instead of their old nes sprites. Know why? Because the games were damn good.

People complain way too much about Sonic to the point of excessive nitpicking. Who cares about those little details if the whole game is good? Just wait and see if the game is good or not.

Also, to people who complain about the "Eggman vs Robotnik" subject, they should do their research, because his official full name is "Ivo Robotnik" whereas his nickname is Eggman. Back in the day, the american localization team completely ignored the "Eggman" name on purpose (as well as turning him into some black eyed pingas face) but finally, from Sonic Adventure 1 and onwards, continuities were sort of unified, so they officially stated that Eggman is his nickname, and his full name is Dr.Ivo Robotnik. And it has stayed like that since that game.

Just so everyone is clear on where I stand on the whole "Eggman vs. Robotnik" thing, I want to let you know I DID do the research, I know that Ivo Robotnik is the official name, and that Eggman is just a nickname. I'm jsut saying that, depending on how both names are used, I usually prefer one or the other. Like when Dr. Robotnik/Eggman is referring to himself, or if one of his robot/minions/allies are talking to him, he SHOULD be called Robotnik. When it's Sonic or his friends, they can call him Eggman. Everyone else, doesn't really matter to me.

Also, nothing against Dr. Eggman's currect design, but the classic Robotnik:

dr-robotnik.jpg

Best design ever, nothing can ever top it!

Just be glad Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 sucked. If it had been good, we would still be seeing THAT version of Eggman.

Uniju said:
Just be glad Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 sucked. If it had been good, we would still be seeing THAT version of Eggman.
You clearly have no good taste in villainy wardrobe! (Fun fact: he was originally designed like the so that it would be easier for kids to draw)

Did you even read my post?

Uniju said:
Yeah, seriously.

Eggman looked way too much like an actual human in that game.

Firstly, he was missing his goggles, and plus, his mustache wasn't going "foom" which is necessary.

Oh, how funny, you have your own thread for it.

And even funnier that you're being kinder on the game than most Sonic fans are!

Back