Do you beleive in Jesus?

Do You???

• Yes

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
How about you talk about THE TOPIC and not about other people in the thread? That's what I call offensive.

BLT said:
"actually I think all the english bibles have a bad translation"
Wouldn't God make his "holy word" more accessible to those who speak English?
Yes and it isn't his fault, it's man's fault for translating it incorrectly and not bother to change it (if that happen that will cause debate that will make even Bill O'Reily shoot himself), and that is why there are multiple bible classes available.

Dr. Javelin said:
How about you talk about THE TOPIC and not about other people in the thread? That's what I call offensive.
I never talked about anybody in the thread.
Dr. Javelin said:
This thread borders on the brink of a flame war...Zero needs to be less sensitive and BLT or Clay Mario, you could be less aggressive and offensive. I enjoy intelligent debates, and if this simply turns into a hate on the other side thread...
That's talking about people.

ON TOPIC:

Mutsuki Minase said:
BLT said:
Yes and it isn't his fault, it's man's fault for translating it incorrectly and not bother to change it (if that happen that will cause debate that will make even Bill O'Reily shoot himself), and that is why there are multiple bible classes available.
If the translation isn't correct, why do you treat it as the word of god?

(sort of on topic)
Why do you (and others) believe in god in the first place? What proof is there?

Dr. Javelin said:
stay-on-target.gif

STAY ON TOPIC.
You are are allowed to go off topic for less than 4 posts, AFAIK.

BLT said:
Mutsuki Minase said:
BLT said:
Because it's
close_enough.png

turntechGodhead said:
Dr. Javelin said:
And I'm pretty sure that language is against the rules outside of Mindless Junk.

No, it's allowed.

</off-topic>

turntechGodhead said:
Figment said:
Well, either way, language is censored here, except for the minor cusswords.

You can turn autocensor off in your profile.

(Don't worry, I won't go off-topic again, I just wanted to point that out.)

Both of these are true.

And guys, the good people of Sodom (if there were any) would have been smart enough to flee.

Brick Tamland said:
And guys, the good people of Sodom (if there were any) would have been smart enough to flee.
And most likely they did.

BLT said:
ON TOPIC:

Mutsuki Minase said:
BLT said:

(sort of on topic)
Why do you (and others) believe in god in the first place? What proof is there?
It is the word of God but with some small mistranslations that make people think other things and I already said that there are bible classes that can clear those things up; when a person reads a novel and comes across a part they don't understand they don't assume the first thing that comes across their mind and continue, no, they read it again slowly and study it to understand what it means, and probably even get help.

It's getting a bit late for me, so I'll answer that last part for you tomorrow, be patient please.

Pascal's Wager explains my beliefs pretty well.

Basically:
1. God doesn't exist, so...
a. You don't believe in him. You die.
b. You believe in him. You die.
2. God does exist, so...
b. You believe in him. You die, but continue on to heaven.

It essentially says you gain nothing by refusing to believe in God. The only way to survive after death is to believe in Him. If He doesn't exist, then you lose nothing. If He does, then you will have gained so much more.

There aren't any real benefits to being an atheist anyways.

You can still joke about your self not going to hell as a Christian. But if you're a real Christian, then you just don't want to joke about people going to hell forever.

I suppose that's one thing that you enjoy now but really isn't that funny when you think about it. I joke about death all the time because I'm not afraid of it. But people who don't know or don't think that they will survive after death... It's really a horrid thing. What could possibly be funny about being tortured forever?

Dr. Javelin said:
Pascal's Wager explains my beliefs pretty well.

Basically:
1. God doesn't exist, so...
b. You believe in him. You die.
2. God does exist, so...
b. You believe in him. You die, but continue on to heaven.

It essentially says you gain nothing by refusing to believe in God. The only way to survive after death is to believe in Him. If He doesn't exist, then you lose nothing. If He does, then you will have gained so much more.

There aren't any real benefits to being an atheist anyways.
This is silly. Wouldn't the almighty god know you are just doing this as hell insurance?

Dr. Javelin said:
What could possibly be funny about being tortured forever?
Nothing, unless you don't actually believe it'll happen.

Get it?

I had a giant post ready, and then the forum crashed. Fortunately, I saved it. Here it is:

@BLT:I'm trying to approach this from your perspective. What do you gain by saying God doesn't exist? It's also not hell insurance. If you were driving towards the edge of a cliff, unable to turn around, knowing you were going to die, and then you saw a way that you might survive, wouldn't you take it? Then, after you live, wouldn't you want to save others from death? That's what Christianity is. Not simply avoiding death, but helping others as well. What could be better than saving people's lives forever? Life without God is meaningless, if we are all going to die.
rotk1402.jpg

"Why do the fools fly? Better to die sooner than later."

This might as well be everyone's approach to life if you can't save others or yourself from dying. Knowing God is the only way you can do this. No one wants hell, and can you really call yourself a good person if you can condemn people to hell without a chance of redemption and have no bad feelings about it? If you are truly a good person, then you would want everyone to live forever.

I'm not a preacher by any means. I'm just trying to explain my beliefs and hope that you can at least understand them and maybe try to save yourself and those you love from hell. Is "hell insurance" about yourself if you try to give it to others?

Dr. Javelin said:
I had a giant post ready, and then the forum crashed. Fortunately, I saved it. Here it is:

@BLT:I'm trying to approach this from your perspective. What do you gain by saying God doesn't exist? It's also not hell insurance. If you were driving towards the edge of a cliff, unable to turn around, knowing you were going to die, and then you saw a way that you might survive, wouldn't you take it? Then, after you live, wouldn't you want to save others from death? That's what Christianity is. Not simply avoiding death, but helping others as well. What could be better than saving people's lives forever? Life without God is meaningless, if we are all going to die.
rotk1402.jpg

"Why do the fools fly? Better to die sooner than later."

This might as well be everyone's approach to life if you can't save others or yourself from dying. Knowing God is the only way you can do this. No one wants hell, and can you really call yourself a good person if you can condemn people to hell without a chance of redemption and have no bad feelings about it? If you are truly a good person, then you would want everyone to live forever.

I'm not a preacher by any means. I'm just trying to explain my beliefs and hope that you can at least understand them and maybe try to save yourself and those you love from hell. Is "hell insurance" about yourself if you try to give it to others?
You are completely right.

Dr. Javelin said:
@BLT:I'm trying to approach this from your perspective. What do you gain by saying God doesn't exist? It's also not hell insurance. If you were driving towards the edge of a cliff, unable to turn around, knowing you were going to die, and then you saw a way that you might survive, wouldn't you take it?
But that's simply not how atheists see the world. We're not heading toward a cliff desperately trying to save ourselves, we're driving down a nice country road, to follow your analogy.

Dr. Javelin said:
Life without God is meaningless, if we are all going to die.
If you truly can't think of any reason to live except for the fact that God exists just because you'll die someday I feel bad for you.

Herr Shyguy said:
If you truly can't think of any reason to live except for the fact that God exists just because you'll die someday I feel bad for you.
Why should I continue living if I'm going to die anyway? What am I going to accomplish that will have a lasting impact? If the universe is billions of years old, then what is the point of my few years of existence?

Dr. Javelin said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Why should I continue living if I'm going to die anyway? What am I going to accomplish that will have a lasting impact? If the universe is billions of years old, then what is the point of my few years of existence?
Jeez that's pretty emo. Who says you need to have a lasting impact to enjoy life?

Here's my two step process to make life worthwhile:
1) Find something you find fun.
2) Do that thing, preferably a lot.

Dr. Javelin said:
What am I going to accomplish that will have a lasting impact? If the universe is billions of years old, then what is the point of my few years of existence?
Just to make you feel smaller, the universe is infinite years old and it will happen for infinite years. Your existence is about-

00.000...[infinite]...001%

-of the span of it. I don't know the exact notation for that. (For those who don't believe it's infinite years old, I'm counting the infinite span of time before it began. Same reversed for its end.)

Mason said:
Dr. Javelin said:
What am I going to accomplish that will have a lasting impact? If the universe is billions of years old, then what is the point of my few years of existence?
Just to make you feel smaller, the universe is infinite years old and it will happen for infinite years. Your existence is about-

00.000...[infinite]...001%

-of the span of it. I don't know the exact notation for that. (For those who don't believe it's infinite years old, I'm counting the infinite span of time before it began. Same reversed for its end.)
My point exactly.

Back