• Yes

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
Herr Shyguy said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Herr Shyguy said:
If you truly can't think of any reason to live except for the fact that God exists just because you'll die someday I feel bad for you.
Why should I continue living if I'm going to die anyway? What am I going to accomplish that will have a lasting impact? If the universe is billions of years old, then what is the point of my few years of existence?
Jeez that's pretty emo. Who says you need to have a lasting impact to enjoy life?

Here's my two step process to make life worthwhile:
1) Find something you find fun.
2) Do that thing, preferably a lot.
If you ask me, life is pointless without it having a lasting impact. I think it would be terrible if we really were gone forever once we died.

But I believe that some of us will go to Heaven some day and live there forever. I shiver when I think about Hell... Being in a place worse than you could ever imagine, forever. Once you're in there, you can't get out.

I guess that explains that.

Mason said:
Dr. Javelin said:
What am I going to accomplish that will have a lasting impact? If the universe is billions of years old, then what is the point of my few years of existence?
Just to make you feel smaller, the universe is infinite years old and it will happen for infinite years. Your existence is about-

00.000...[infinite]...001%

-of the span of it. I don't know the exact notation for that. (For those who don't believe it's infinite years old, I'm counting the infinite span of time before it began. Same reversed for its end.)
00.000...[infinite]...001% doesn't exist.

The universe isn't infinite, it is around 13 billion years old.

BLT said:
I'm not nitpicking. 13 billion is nowhere near infinity.
You are ignoring people's points and picking out small details to whine about. That is called nitpicking. Guess what? 13 billion relative to the Earth might as well be infinity. It doesn't matter.

It's 10 billion off.

There is no purpose to life.

Herr Shyguy said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Herr Shyguy said:
If you truly can't think of any reason to live except for the fact that God exists just because you'll die someday I feel bad for you.
Why should I continue living if I'm going to die anyway? What am I going to accomplish that will have a lasting impact? If the universe is billions of years old, then what is the point of my few years of existence?
Jeez that's pretty emo. Who says you need to have a lasting impact to enjoy life?

Here's my two step process to make life worthwhile:
1) Find something you find fun.
2) Do that thing, preferably a lot.

If there is no purpose to life, then why not go ahead and die? Save yourself a lot of emotional problems.

I am not actually suggesting that you die, merely pressing a point. I am suggesting that you look at life differently.

What is enjoyable about life if you won't have a lasting impact? Or if it won't last forever? This isn't morbid thinking, these are simple honest questions. Don't you want to exist? To be a part of something bigger?

BLT said:
I don't know, I guess you have to answer those questions for yourself.
e7.jpg

Now this is straight out frustrating because your being arrogant and naive to the most simplest of questions.

BLT said:
Not necessarily, there's theories out there that the big bang wasn't the start of the universe at all and that there have been big bangs and big crunches since forever.

Dr. Javelin said:
If there is no purpose to life, then why not go ahead and die? Save yourself a lot of emotional problems.
No one ever said there's no point to life. As far as I care, the point of life is to enjoy yourself as much as you can before you die. Biologically, the point of life is to have tons and tons of sex.

Dr. Javelin said:
What is enjoyable about life if you won't have a lasting impact?
Ever had fun? I find fun to be pretty enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people getting spiritual fulfillment out of religion, but it's depressing to see someone who thinks there is literally nothing else to live for.

Herr Shyguy said:
BLT said:
Not necessarily, there's theories out there that the big bang wasn't the start of the universe at all and that there have been big bangs and big crunches since forever.
Possibly.
Herr Shyguy said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Herr Shyguy said:
No one ever said there's no point to life. As far as I care, the point of life is to enjoy yourself as much as you can before you die. Biologically, the point of life is to have tons and tons of sex.
Or die before this happens. Hooray for natural selection.
Herr Shyguy said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Fun sucks. :(

from blt that I messed up said:
Fun sucks. :(
[/quote]
Then why are you on a Mariowiki forum that has a love for mario games which are fun?

Mutsuki Minase said:
BLT said:
I don't know, I guess you have to answer those questions for yourself.
[reaction image]

Now this is straight out frustrating because your being arrogant and naive to the most simplest of questions.
It's sort of easy to tell who knows what they're talking about when your side needs to post reaction images in almost every post in a vain attempt to prove the other side is "naive." Can't you debate in a civil manner without reaction images or character insults?

I don't need to hear anyone cry "MINIMOD" because I'm pointing this out member-to-member. I see your methods as publicly annoying to many regular members who merely want to participate in a normal debate.

Here are my opinions on the benefits of being a christian
*You get to be in a relationship with the lord god
*A lot of people are usually happy when they are Christians
*You'll have a promise of everlasting life
And much more! God also says that he has a purpose for everyone. Even if your young or old, god can use you in a way to serve him.
Sorry if I got all preacher like

Herr Shyguy said:
Dr. Javelin said:
No one ever said there's no point to life.
I was responding to BLT, who did say that.
Herr Shyguy said:
Dr. Javelin said:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people getting spiritual fulfillment out of religion, but it's depressing to see someone who thinks there is literally nothing else to live for.
I have no problem with fun, but I would rather have my life actually mean something than simply want to have fun.

Koopa Kid said:
And much more! God also says that he has a purpose for everyone. Even if your young or old, god can use you in a way to serve him.
If you are in a relationship with god, tell me what his opinion is on organized religion, the silliest thing on Earth!

BLT said:
Koopa Kid said:
If you are in a relationship with god, tell me what his opinion is on organized religion, the silliest thing on Earth!
Now now, that's uncalled for. Organized religion brings a lot of people peace of mind.

Let's see what organized religion also does:

- Start wars
- Commit sex crimes against children
- Incite violence
- Other terrible things

I think not having these things in exchange for somebody's peace of mind is worth the trade.

If you need organized religion to have a peace of mind, you probably need to see a psychotherapist. (Not that that's a bad thing)

BLT said:
Let's see what organized religion also does:

- Start wars
- Commit sex crimes against children
- Incite violence
- Other terrible things

I think not having these things in exchange for somebody's peace of mind is worth the trade.

If you need organized religion to have a peace of mind, you probably need to see a psychotherapist. (Not that that's a bad thing)
You're forgetting that these things are caused just as often, if not more, by other groups as well. And I'd lean on more often.

Back