What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

You Only Live Twice

Logan, Get Out, and Kong: Skull Island all last week.

I liked all three, especially the first two. I wouldn't call Kong a great movie, but it was a ton of fun.

Pink_Gold_Peach said:
GalacticPetey said:
Kong: Skull Island

It was a blast. Ton of fun. It was everything I wanted. Post credits scene was awesome as well.

How does it compare to the King Kong movie from 2005?

it doesn't because there's no jack black

Skull Island is superior simply because of the post credits scene.

In all honesty, they're very different films. The 2005 film is a loving tribute to the original and is a whole lot longer. Skull Island is a high energy monster movie, plain and simple. Not as much depth or exploration of Kong as a character, but I think Skull Island is more fun.

Cloud Strife said:
Nabber said:
thoughts?
i kinda slept through it because i didn't get sleep the night before

it seemed pretty good though, would have been nice if there were a good villain though

i liked how everyone looked like they wanted to fucking die

still not sure why stephen merchant was in it though

^what they watched

worth noting that in one scene (2 actually, you can only see it briefly in both), i think they have the exact same iphone i have (5 or 5s in grey) with the exact same cover i have (white border with transparent back)

so wait, they're using the iphone 5 in 2029?

guess it's not just them getting old, it's their attempt to stay relevant

Cloud Strife said:
so wait, they're using the iphone 5 in 2029?

guess it's not just them getting old, it's their attempt to stay relevant

That's what it looked like for me anyways

Beauty and the Beast

It was alright. I knew it wasn't going to top the original. Some aspects were really good, like Kevin Kline, Josh Gad, and Luke Evans. And the new song for the Beast, "Evermore" was excellent.

But I was not a fan of Emma Watson in this movie. I thought her performance was bland and the auto tune was painful. Seriously, if you have to auto tune your lead that much, maybe she shouldn't be the lead.

And giving Audra McDonald, who is the best singer in this film by far, only a few lines of singing is down right criminal. It's not like she has six Tonys or anything.

Monsters Inc.

Had been watching clips from this movie recently and just now finished watching the whole thing for the first time since childhood. I had almost forgotten that this was another obsession of mine when I was a kid. I should watch the sequel (prequel?) at some point :D

Recently saw Poetic Justice (1993), it stars Janet Jackson and Tupac. It's pretty cute :)

Monsters University

Great movie, gave a lot of the characters a nice history and didn't contradict the first movie. There is one question it raised though...

at the end the Yeti is shown working with Mike and Sulley with the mail. As we see in Monsters, Inc. he was banished. Did I miss something that explains why he was banished or is that just left a mystery? He mentions that mail tampering is punishable by banishment, but there isn't really evidence that he himself did that.

Also gave The Lion King another full watch. Not much to say here, it's amazing :D

[quote author=greatdimentio]
at the end the Yeti is shown working with Mike and Sulley with the mail. As we see in Monsters, Inc. he was banished. Did I miss something that explains why he was banished or is that just left a mystery? He mentions that mail tampering is punishable by banishment, but there isn't really evidence that he himself did that.
[/quote]

I think we're meant to assume the Yeti was banished for mail tampering, given that he hinself talks about it, and that it's the only known reason for banishment.

The Pyro Guy said:
[quote author=greatdimentio]

I think we're meant to assume the Yeti was banished for mail tampering, given that he hinself talks about it, and that it's the only known reason for banishment.
[/quote]
That's actually pretty funny if that was the reason, considering Abominable Snowman's voice actor is John Ratzenberger, who's most famous for playing a mailman (Cheers).
As far as my thoughts on the film, it was alright but I don't think we really needed an origin story. I would have preferred a direct sequel that dealt with possible ramifications of using laughs over screams. It would be interesting, I think.

The Lorax

I watched the 1972 TV special (which I remember from childhood, along with the book) a few days ago, before watching the 2012 movie today. I liked it, it expanded upon the original story without changing too much (though, it was weird at first seeing the Once-ler's entire body) and the new antagonist, Aloysius O'Hare is a total dick. I did think the reason Ted wanted a tree was cliche, but thankfully they didn't go too far with the romance subplot. Overall, great movie.

Back