What Movies Have You Seen Recently?

Mariofan169 said:

good

now it's time for you to join me in watching the official (tm) the ring anime featuring none other than the real sawako saDAko

todoke-ep01-02.jpg

seriously this is the most hardcore anime you're gonna find.

Power Rangers

no bulk and skull, for shame

but seriously, this movie did not deserve to be as good as it turned out. thank god the director realized how ridiculous the source material was

I saw Your Name recently.

Pretty beautiful movie, if not, a wee bit confusing at moments.

I saw the dub.

It was all right. It was dubbed by Funimation, but I don't think the dub itself was anything too spectacular.

Eren Jäger said:
from what i could tell at least their steins gate dub was okay
though if their aot dub was anything to go by, I'd suggest going to the subbed version of your name

Moana

Beautiful movie. The animation was incredible, and coupled with the amazing music, it's one of the best Disney movies ever in my opinion

Boss Baby

I have not seen anything of this except one trailer before seeing it, and I liked it. I imagine it will have a hate-base though, since it's new, it's CGI, and it's got a weird premise. Still, I enjoyed it.

I also watched Megamind for the first time since it was new, and it reminded me how much I liked it when my high school biology class watched it (for some reason)

Mariofan169 said:
Eren Jäger said:
from what i could tell at least their steins gate dub was okay
though if their aot dub was anything to go by, I'd suggest going to the subbed version of your name

Yeah, I'm interested in checking that out at some point.

imo I think dubs work better for comedy while subs are more suited for pretty much everything else. my experience in anime is very, very, very newbie like, so don't judge me :P

Saw Beauty and the Beast last week.

You know, I think this is a prime example of the necessity of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's three points of critique. For those who don't know, Goethe basically states that there are three primary questions you should ask yourself when consuming a piece of art: what has the artist tried to do, and whether they succeed, but also whether that was a thing worth doing at all.

Beauty and the Beast is impressive from an acting, directing, technical, etc. standpoint. Don't get me wrong, I had a fun time. But this has got to be the most pointless movie I've ever seen. The adaptation adds nothing to the original movie; narrative's the same, characters are the same, same thematic concepts, no new twists. Nay, I'd wager it even detracts because of how less stylized and expressive and colorful the characters and setting are allowed to be in live action.

I mean, even the worst movies have a reason to be, even if it's shallow or cynical or nakedly corporate. The Transformers movies go for "wow" factor, they're an experiment in how much stuff can be blown up. The Room was a high-art project that crashed and burned. Psycho 1998 was a near shot-for-shot remake of the original, but at least it was nominally an "update". Even Fantfourstic was a cash grab slapdashed together solely intended to keep the Fantastic Four film rights from reverting to Disney, but at least that's something. Heck, even the other live action Disney remakes had a pretense of being something grander than their source material. But Beauty and the Beast? This film accomplishes nothing that the 1992 classic hadn't already, and what little bits were changed (I think like one or two new songs? Lumiere's redesign, maybe? Whatever.) don't justify any reason to watch this over the original.

I don't necessarily want to undersell this movie. Again, it's an altogether competent movie, with great songs and a great cast and it was all really fun. But in terms of "whether it was worth it", I think it fails miserably.

Back