Sequel to The Super Mario Bros movie announced

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Announced today, a sequel to the Super Mario Bros movie is in production at Illumination, not really a surprise but nice to know regardless

Assuming it's at least somewhat modeled after one of the mainline games, Mario Land or Mario World feels like the logical next step. Anything in between those and the original tracks too similarly to the first game to build a substantial plot around.
Yeah I'm assuming Mario World will be the next step especially given Yoshi shows up in the next one as we saw after the credits of the first movie (if we sat through that).

My only subtle opinion would be that I prefer to see a Donkey feature movie first to complete Donkey's backstory in the movie.

I'm honestly surprised that they couldn't wait until at least a little later to announce another film. While I'm a little excited, I'm worried that three years might not be enough time to create a big enough successor. The previous Mario movie had 5 years for comparison. What if they mess this up like they did with most of their sequels after Despicable Me 2?

We definitely needed another movie installment but here's hoping Illumination and Nintendo take pacing issues to heart and also deliver a bit more of a story (as requested). We still have a lot of deep cuts left for the Mario movie to make so here's hoping they'll also litter the next film with it.

Whaddyamean, I have a scratchy cool teen sound and I like it just the way it is 😥

But then again I can't do a Mario voice so that is definitely a problem

The first movie was great but had its flaws. Now they can improve on the problems and make something truly great.

I thought the first movie was just okay, I don't hold any real fondness towards it in the same way that I do for the games, but I understand why a lot of people really like it. I'm interested to see where the new one goes.

Interestingly enough they phrased it as a new animated film based on the world of Super Mario Bros, but not necessarily a sequel to the first movie. Perhaps it will focus on another character. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm reading too much into things and it just turns out to be a direct sequel anyways.

To be honest-like-I know the first movie had some minor flaws but I was enjoying it so much I didn't really notice them. However for the sake of other fans I hope that the flaws I've heard of so far-pacing issues mostly-will be fixed for other fans that are more-particular than me. If that makes sense. But anyway yeah, I hope that whatever this new movie is, it will be good, and the problems there were with the first one will be addressed, although that movie overall was really good despite that.

Last edited:
Back