Are you happy with the spinoff rosters on Nintendo Switch?

Your personal rating from 0 to 100

• 100~80

• 80~60

• 60~40

• 40~20

• 20~0

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you put it that way, yeah I can see how Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit has a subpar roster, when Mario and Luigi both have the same characters in relays. They could've given Luigi different characters! Like Daisy, Toadette, and I guess Birdo, but nope... I am not sure if that's what you mean, though.
I had that game in mind while writing the statement. I don't really consider Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit as really qualifying as a Mario Kart installment. It's like a side project.

This sorts of put into perspective those who requested for Geno, who only shows up in Super Mario RPG as a major character. I do not think that Geno is in particularly high demand if referring to the Mario series, but it's funny how that characters is in high demand for Smash fighter (even though I don't necessarily agree that he would be a practical choice).
I didn't know who Geno was until people were demanding him in the days Super Smash Bros. Brawl was announced. I don't know what was the deal with him. He's not a particularly intriguing character. But again, Super Smash Bros. has a tendency to surprise us, such as having Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, or Marth/Roy, characters I didn't know existed until we saw them in Smash.

I initially thought you were comparing to the Gamecube installments for those games, so Mario Golf Super Rush vs. Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, but seems like you were comparing Super Rush to Mario Tennis Aces instead. I do agree that Tennis Aces have a solid roster when comparing to Mario Power Tennis, but I personally think Super Rush isn't too shabby when comparing to Toadstool Tour, especially when the game is deeper mechanically for every character.
Super Rush has some pretty solid choices, as I listed them already. I welcome all the additions for this one. It just felt underwhelming due to the amount of support the game received paling vs Aces, and a portion of Super Rush's content was paid while it was all free in Tennis Aces.

I haven't tried Super Rush yet but I enjoyed World Tour and Toadstool Tour. There were reviews saying Super Rush is dumbed down, which led me to hesitate investing in the game (I'm not dropping money for it, so, use your imagination), though I think what sealed the deal in not getting it would have to be a chunk of the game being a single player mode where you're forced to use a Mii. Tennis Aces let me use Mario at least.

Mario Party I can agree that the lack of certain characters are a dealbreaker. I understand the feeling, for I thought that the lack of Waluigi in Mario Kart 7 is my personal dealbreaker.
Yeah. I like the roster in Super Mario Party but it was particularly painful for my sister to not have Toad OR Toadette, both her favorites. This is already on top of the lack of baby bros (and she can't even mod the baby bros in because Toad/Toadette were great candidates in terms of overall build to mod over). She COULD use Rosalina but I feel guilty I can use my absolute favorite and she can't so I sometimes use a fallback like Luigi.

I should add that in the event characters from Paper Mario ever do get added, I'd vastly prefer them being approached the same way Goomboss and the Star Spirits were in their 3D appearances, adapted into the same 3D style as the rest of the cast, rather than remaining flat despite no longer having the core Mario cast around them depicted that way.

I mean I'd be over the moon at getting to play as a classic PM character like Vivian or Dimentio either way, but at the same time not giving them 3D models for it would feel like a double edged sword, as it doubles down on the notion that they only exist in a paper world and not in the core Mario world.

But there isn't a core Mario world.

The 1% of the Mario fanbase that comprises hardcore lore enthusiasts, Marioverse-types
It's the reverse. When the insertion covers a good diversity, it can be a motive for people to know their background and get the real games eventually.

And the other problem is the restriction would definitely exclude some interesting picks from some other games.

I'm pretty happy with the roster in a general sense. My hope is that this gets them devs' juices flowing to explore even deeper cuts in future games.

In my own general review, it's sure safe to keep most main cast from past spinoffs (aside from some arguable cuts, like no Toads for Mario Party), but now the common issue is there are just not too many sparkles in the whole line.

I don't think it has to entirely rely on deep cuts. Just two or three good choices for new additions in each game that can really bring hype, advertising or deep discussion.

Last edited:
I love playing as Boo in the Mario Party games! Although the only games that I played that had him as a playable character were Mario Party 5, Mario Party 8, Mario Party Island Tour and Super Mario Party. He's not playable in Mario Party 9 and Mario Party 10 but there's Shy Guy and Spike to make up for it. If neither of those characters are available, then I play as Luigi.

As for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I play as Shy Guy (Pink Shy Guy specifically because there's no Purple Shy Guy. Purple is my favorite color, and so Pink Shy Guy is the closest to Purple Shy Guy in my opinion). I know King Boo is playable, but I prefer Shy Guy.

Back