What game did you last play?!?!?!?

Still continuing with Rayman Origins.

I'm playing through the Land of the Livid Dead. I... don't want to say it's hard or frustrating, even though I died a lot. I'm not shouting at the game for being unfair, mostly because it's my fault that I didn't stick my landing. Still, more often then not, I die within the first few seconds.

Either way, this game makes me want to track down and play the first three games in the series, especially Rayman 2: The Great Escape, I heard that one's the best!

Mario Kart Wii - unlocked Mirror Mode again. I think that is the best and coolest feature on the whole entire game.

Kingdom Hearts

I just got this a few days ago on my new PS2... but I don't understand why people like this game. Tbh, this game is really aggravating to me and the camera is so close to the characters that it gives me a headache after a while.

Fawfulfury65 said:
Kingdom Hearts

I just got this a few days ago on my new PS2... but I don't understand why people like this game. Tbh, this game is really aggravating to me and the camera is so close to the characters that it gives me a headache after a while.
they like it because lolfinal fantasy and disney are together, that's so coooool

I have played the Kingdom Hearts games and I can safely say they're unrefined, irritating, gimmicky garbage appealing only to nostalgia-blinded idiots.

Kirby's Dream Course

I would like to see a sequel to this in some way. It'll never happen, though. :[

Saints row 3.

Seems pretty nice so far, although a bit... small compared to 2 but w/e.

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Started Galactic Conquest with the Sepratists. Also got a glitch on Mygeeto where a tank pushed me into a wall and I was stuck in it for the rest of the match.

I've downloaded the original Rayman on my 3DS via DSiWare...

So I cam across this one picture on deviantART:

http://miguy99.deviantart.com/art/rayman-1-versus-origins-279244326

I questioned why it was like that, and the artist said that the original Rayman is much harder than Rayman Origins. I was taken aback, even after he explained why he thought that. After playing the first level of the game, I can finally see where he's coming from. Yes, the game IS harder...

...for all the wrong reasons.

Okay, that was a little harsh, and I should probably play more of the game before I make judgements like that, AND it would probably have been better if I played this before I played Origins, but still... In a way, Rayman Origins feels like such an improvement over this... kind of literally, in that they're both 2D side-scrolling platformers, they both require you to free Electoons, they both have Betilla grant Rayman new powers as the game goes on, Hell even the enemies are similar (which is probably more of a callback in the case of Rayman Origins).

First of all, the screen is too zoned in. In Rayman Origins, you could ALWAYS see want you needed to see, as well as what's ahead, but here, the screen looks a bit too cluttered, and sometimes I can barely tell what's ahead of me, which means I get jumped by enemies and obstacles a lot.

Then there's the enemies. Until you get the punch, you're completely defenseless against them. I seriously tried jumping on one, only to get hurt in return. Dang...

Then there's the punch, you can only punch from side to side, unlike in all directions like in Origins. You're also screwed against enemies that are too short, or at a slightly lower elevation.

I also can't figure out how to run in this game. I thought it was the R button, but that just causes Rayman to make faces... :rolleyes:

This game does have ONE saving grace, in that you actually have a health meter, and can get hit multiple times. However, you DO have a lives system, and while I never really understood why Yahtzee (of Zero Punctuation fame) complained about this sort of thing, after Rayman Origins, I can SORT OF understand why. There's no real point in getting a game over anymore with games like this, since you're just going to try and continue anyway. Not to mention, I wasted 2 lives just drowning in water, one of which was caused by when I tried jumping on an enemy...

I'm not too mad, though, because I can attribute all of these flaws to one thing: this game is a remake of the original Rayman, which was originally made in 1995, for PlayStation, Sega Saturn, etc., so obviously, all of it's flaws can be attributed to what games were like at the time, and by game-making limitations... Of course, this is obvious form the fact that nobody in this games has limbs, not just Rayman. The game IS still enjoyable, and I'm not about to give up on it, but still, I'd say it hasn't aged as well...

I'm planning on getting Rayman 3D, which is a remake of Rayman 2: The Great Escape, which is supposed to be the best game in the series. I hope I'm able to find it easily...

Smashgoom202 said:
First of all, the screen is too zoned in. In Rayman Origins, you could ALWAYS see want you needed to see, as well as what's ahead, but here, the screen looks a bit too cluttered, and sometimes I can barely tell what's ahead of me, which means I get jumped by enemies and obstacles a lot.
This is only an issue in the handheld ports. It's a little better in the DSi version because of the map but back on the Playstation you could see a lot more.

Smashgoom202 said:
Then there's the enemies. Until you get the punch, you're completely defenseless against them. I seriously tried jumping on one, only to get hurt in return. Dang...
I'll admit that the combat kind of sucks, but the game rarely ever focuses on it. There's an enemy in your path every so often, but most of the challenge is in the platforming, which quickly spikes in difficulty around Bongo Hills. Even the bosses are more about getting around their attack patterns than actually landing hits.

Smashgoom202 said:
Then there's the punch, you can only punch from side to side, unlike in all directions like in Origins. You're also screwed against enemies that are too short, or at a slightly lower elevation.
To get smaller enemies you need to throw your fist further and duck so it hits them on the return.

Smashgoom202 said:
I also can't figure out how to run in this game. I thought it was the R button, but that just causes Rayman to make faces... :rolleyes:
Running is unlocked after the Blue Mountains.

Smashgoom202 said:
This game does have ONE saving grace, in that you actually have a health meter, and can get hit multiple times. However, you DO have a lives system, and while I never really understood why Yahtzee (of Zero Punctuation fame) complained about this sort of thing, after Rayman Origins, I can SORT OF understand why. There's no real point in getting a game over anymore with games like this, since you're just going to try and continue anyway. Not to mention, I wasted 2 lives just drowning in water, one of which was caused by when I tried jumping on an enemy...
Rayman's lives system is really my least favorite part of the whole game, since you're only given two continues and if you use both of them too early you're SOL. It's put you into a really bad mindset of having to do entire levels in one or two goes, and I feel like the game could benefit from some more leniency in that regard on the later levels.

Battle for Middle Earth.

It's pretty sweet how you can come back from certain loss when playing as Mordor by using the Call the Horde ability.

ORC SPAM FTW

Smashgoom202 said:
I've downloaded the original Rayman on my 3DS via DSiWare...

So I cam across this one picture on deviantART:

http://miguy99.deviantart.com/art/rayman-1-versus-origins-279244326

I questioned why it was like that, and the artist said that the original Rayman is much harder than Rayman Origins. I was taken aback, even after he explained why he thought that. After playing the first level of the game, I can finally see where he's coming from. Yes, the game IS harder...

...for all the wrong reasons.

Okay, that was a little harsh, and I should probably play more of the game before I make judgements like that, AND it would probably have been better if I played this before I played Origins, but still... In a way, Rayman Origins feels like such an improvement over this... kind of literally, in that they're both 2D side-scrolling platformers, they both require you to free Electoons, they both have Betilla grant Rayman new powers as the game goes on, Hell even the enemies are similar (which is probably more of a callback in the case of Rayman Origins).

I'm not too mad, though, because I can attribute all of these flaws to one thing: this game is a remake of the original Rayman, which was originally made in 1995, for PlayStation, Sega Saturn, etc., so obviously, all of it's flaws can be attributed to what games were like at the time, and by game-making limitations... Of course, this is obvious form the fact that nobody in this games has limbs, not just Rayman. The game IS still enjoyable, and I'm not about to give up on it, but still, I'd say it hasn't aged as well...

I'm planning on getting Rayman 3D, which is a remake of Rayman 2: The Great Escape, which is supposed to be the best game in the series. I hope I'm able to find it easily...
Well of course its harder by a long way but trhat's what makes it a challenge. I grew up with it and it is still hard. Of course I still need to use a password for the level after Blue Mountins since the disc freezes on the water part.

Back