What game did you last play?!?!?!?

Played some Pokemon White Version 2, beat the E4 for the second time, and also:

Mario4Ever said:
Assassin's Creed III

the rope dart is awesome.

Poke'mon black 2,
my unfezant is crazily overpowered, I beat the entire electric gym using only it, all in one go, although I did use roost a few times (its a level 42)

New Super Mario Bros. U, at a showcase at my mall.

I was going to try out Scribblenauts Unlimited too, but we had to go. Skulldug got his hands on Nintendo Land and got the high score on that Pikmin game.

Pokemon Yellow

On to the water routes, this is my least favourite part of the game. Surfing is boring, which is why I didn't like Hoenn as much as other regions.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3), Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS), and Elders Scrolls V; Skyrim (Xbox 360).

So I finally got around to playing two games I got recently: Paper Mario: Sticker Star, which I got for my birthday, and Adventure Time: Hey Ice King, Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!, which I had reserved.

With Paper Mario: Sticker Star... it's pretty much exactly what I expected, with some exceptions. See, I knew that even if I DID enjoy this game, it'd be a begrudging kind of enjoyment, because they took out the partners, which were my favorite parts of the previous Mario games. For another thing, the battle system is kind of weird. It works, don't get me wrong, but there doesn't really feel like there's much of a motivation for me to actually battle. In previous Mario RPGs, I took every battle head-on, because I got experience points, which I'd use to increase my stats. Here, stats are increased through various other means, and the only thing you get out of battles are coins. Granted, you got coins in battle from previous Mario RPGs, but here's the thing: there were various uses for coins: buying items, badges, sleeping at inns, etc. Here, at least so far, coins only seemed to be used to by stickers, which you need in order to... keep battling... It's like a snake eating it's own tail, and endless cycle with no real point. I suppose one could argue this is a nice system because it utilizes strategy in ways not seen before, but a.) I suck at strategy and preparations, b.) it's a very limiting strategy as opposed to the larger variety of ways to battle in the previous games save Super Paper Mario, and c.) they include luck in battle, specifically the slots mechanic, rendering any kind of strategy moot and pointless when you have to rely on chance to succeed.

Another thing about this game is that there's no tutorial for the action commands. They explain everything else EXCEPT that! Well, I've made it to world 1-2, so maybe they just haven't gotten to that part yet, but so far, I've used DOZENS of different attacks and stickers and I've had to guess for myself how they work. Jumps stickers were easy enough, but with the Hammer ones, I tried the old way (tilting left on the control pad) but didn't do anything! I realized later, you have to press A at the right time... like Mario & Luigi I suppose, although here it's WAY less obvious... Not to mention, when you're stickers are limited, you'd THINK they'd tell you how to use them effectively right off the bat so you don't waste them. So much for that, I guess.

A few minor things that erk me a bit... Firstly, like I said, Mario has no partners. The only one who would qualify would be Kersti, but she's more of a "fairy companion" type then a genuine partner, even if she DOES have powers that help you throughout the game. I have to say, I'm getting really sick of these fairy-helper types who are nothing but obnoxious naggers that Mario just has to sit back and take it from. She's like Starlow from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, or Tatl from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and even though she gets SLIGHTLY better, she's not getting any points from me, oh no... Also, the map system. I think it's a cute call-back to original Mario games, but I don't know, I liked it better when things were more connected and not broken up into levels, like the first to Paper Mario games. Lastly, the emphasis on the paper thing really goes overboard. It doesn't really hurt the game, but I liked it better when the paper gimmick was purely aesthetic save a few minor comedic moments, and the rest of the game could feel like it could actually be regular, non-paper Mario. Personal preference, I suppose.

All my bitching aside, I DO like this game. The humor, like everyone said, is still gold! Seeing Bowser Jr. and Kamek, as well as other classic Mario enemies previously not seen in Paper Mario before really lit me up, although I have to say, they're inclusion, plus the exclusion of previous Paper Mario staples like Kammy Koopa and certain enemies, plus controlling Princess Peach from time to time, really makes it feel distant from the other Paper Mario games... It's all good, though. Also, the sicker museum I feel is a nice incentive for me to collect stickers, I'm a collect-o-holic like that. Although, I have to admit, I'm both nervous and confused about the prospect of turning my "things" into stickers, because I'm not sure when or where I'm supposed to use them, or if I need them for certain situations... but whatever, I'm liking it so far, and I intend to see this until the end!

Now, Adventure Time: Hey Ice King, Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!... I never get tired of saying that full title. Yeah, it's every bit as awesome as I expected it to be. Which, to be honest, isn't all THAT spectacular, but hey, licensed games can be MUCH worse then what this is. Thing is, Pendleton Ward loves games, and probably wanted to make sure a game based on one of his creations didn't suck, not to mention WayForward has been known to make really good experiences with very little to go on. The game COULD use a little more polish, like certain stills of characters could feel a bit more lively, the title screen's unimaginative, as is the game select menu. The voices are all voices from the show, and they get they're own sound clips, which are fine, but when I get to level up my Heart/Attack/Speed, there's this one sound clip which I can't for the life of me make out... if anyone can tell me what they say, please do. The menu system is also kind of buggy, though maybe that's my own 3DS's problem and not the game's... It has had some touch screen issues as of late...

Other than that, though, there's not much wrong with this game. The game itself looks good, reminiscent of classic sprite-animated games at their very best. The characters all look good and are animated very well. As for the game itself, it's basically Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, only with less RPG elements (specifically gaining experience points) and not NEARLY as cryptic or insanely difficult. Finn gains new items, weapons and Jake learns new moves to help them on their quest to help the Land of Ooo and deal with the pesky Ice King. The story... eh, it's Adventure Time, and this game pretty much exemplifies the random adventure nature of the show, with Finn and Jake helping out random folks. The ultimate goal seems to be dealing with the Ice King who, as the subtitle indicates, stole their garbage, though that's handled pretty tongue-and-cheekly. The Ice King seems to have taken it just to give Finn and Jake and adventure to go on more than anything, and the real plot goes into the details of how Finn and Jake get to various locations through helping and talking to others. That's basically where the games shines the brightest, since all of the show's trademark humor comes into play through the dialogue and various cutscenes. I personally also enjoyed seeing various characters from the show showing up here and there, such as Donny the grass ogre, and while I haven't gotten that far yet, Lemongrab is going to be in the game.

So yeah, wholly recommended, even though it's a little short... how do I know this? Well, I pre-ordered it, and with it came a booklet of beasts with all the enemies you fight in the game, plus a map of Ooo, and there are only 4 main locations to visit. Not very many, but hey, I'm sure it's enough... and hopefully, if this sells well, maybe Cartoon Network will give it a sequel, and perhaps even a bigger budget to work off of! Here's hoping...

Pokemon black 2, hatching some dratini eggs, ain't fun since it's taking forever.

MKGirlism said:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)

So... jealous...

Assuming you have another person to play it with you, have you played over WiFi yet? And if so, how does adding friends work? Do you need to add someone's friend code in-game? Or does it work with whoever's 3DS FC you have added? Considering you can have four players per town, I wasn't sure if the friend roster was shared or separate.

Mario4Ever said:
Yeah, I love that thing. I'm getting ready to deal with Boston's tea problem now.

I think I'm somewhere along Sequence 8.

Borderlands

good game

Crash, I know a person I can go Online with, but I didn't do it yet, because of the KPN HotSpot's quality (don't make me laugh!) of Internet.
Oh well, only 3 days left, and I'm in my new home, with good Internet.
After that, I'll try Online.

Assassin's Creed III

Assassinated John Pitcairn with full synchronization...that was epic. Oh, and New York looks nice.

Kirby and the amazing mirror.

Pretty good game so far, its like kirby and metroid into one.

Tales of Graces F (I never know how to spell it) (PS3), Angry Birds Trilogy (3DS), and Mario Kart DS (DS).

Back