New genres for Mario to explore

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Or ones that were done in the past but pretty rarely

With Donkey Konga seemingly over and done with and no sequel to DDR Mario Mix, Mario hasn't had a Rhythm game since the GameCube, heck, the only Rhythm games there is at all were only on the GameCube.

Sure, Mario music sometimes makes it's way to other Rhythm series but as far one dedicated solely to the franchise, I believe it's long overdo

The subject of a outright FPS starring Mario would probably tilt heads, I believe a comical take with Donkey Kong as the star would work considered goofy guns were a thing in DK64 and are still with Diddy in Smash, it might also being a type of game that would fit Funky as the star considering in DK64, he is designed to look like a FPS hero's usual job, a soldier

People have often commented on a RTS Mario game starring Bowser and the Koopa Troop but I honestly think you could make a pretty decent RTS with multiple "races" so to speak rather than just one starring Bowser's Koopa Troop. You can make an RTS composed of Mushroom Kingdom oriented units too, and honestly, they'd be the """main""" playable faction anyway, similar to the Terran or the Human race in Starcraft and Warcraft respectively. The "main" characters would be the hero class units like Bowser or Mario or Peach. You can even separate the Toad and Yoshi species and their respective named characters if you like, give them greater stats than generic Toads and Yoshis. Plus, you don't even need to restrict to just organic units. Machine units such as Airships, Lubba piloting Starship Mario, Toads piloting karts, etc are all viable.

Sure throw in some other exclusive RPG species as well that aren't aligned with the Koopa Troop or Mushroom Kingdom such as X-Naughts, Smithy Gang, or Shroobs. Shroobs especially could work as a race in an RTS game, an invasive alien species hivemind that uses the Mushroom Kingdom culture to power their brakelights and they shroobify existing species? The Zerg will approve. Even the Kremling Krew in of themselves would make for an interesting race to work with. Not sure if Donkey Kong would have enough material to make his own "race" though, since he doesn't have species he can use.

I feel like a city simulation game akin to SimCity or Cities Skylines could possibly work. I'd imagine something more like you create your own Mushroom Kingdom (or maybe a fictional neighboring kingdom to the Mushroom Kingdom?) and have to manage it as it grows.

Although I guess that wouldn't really be 'city' simulation, but I imagine it'd work in a similar way at least.

Not sure if this is a "genre" pur say but with Koei Tempo being buddy buddy with Nintendo during this era, a more cartoonish Musou/Warriors games with the Mario cast would be cool

Not sure if this is a "genre" pur say but with Koei Tempo being buddy buddy with Nintendo during this era, a more cartoonish Musou/Warriors games with the Mario cast would be cool
I have always wanted a Mario game in the style of Dynasty Warriors ever since Hyrule Warriors, but for a while I thought to myself how can you mix Mario and Dynasty Warriors? Because it would honestly look silly seeing Mario, Luigi and Peach using swords (Smash doesn't count).

And since we're on the topic, "I'VE-a TAKEN OUT AN OFFICER! WOO HOO!"

Thinking about it, It would be interesting to see how a Mario typing game would be done. Yes, you can point to Mario Teaches Typing as a game featuring Mario and typing, but the game is a bog-standard typing game. What I meant is more like a Mario game that is built around typing. Think of The Typing of the Dead, which is The House of the Dead but it features typing on keyboards:
totd_beverage.jpg

Even Pokemon had a gander on the concept:
adventurefursekretarinnen_547501t.jpg

The only issue is that because Nintendo games tend to be on consoles, which do not come with keyboards, this would be difficult to justify.

Thank you for reading.

Reactions: zel
Mario's been in almost every single genre except Third person Shooter i believe

Depends how you define "genre". Maybe in the biggest sweeping, broadest sense (action, strategy, puzzle, roleplay, racing, fighting). But you define in stricter terms? There's still a lot Mario can do. He doesn't have many genres. Not real-time strategy, not the rich subgenres under "RPG" (including loot-based Action RPG, Soulslike), not sims (like life sims), not the subgenres of racing that isn't kart-racer, not visual novel, not open world, not traditional fighters, not full blown survival horror, not MOBA, not MMO, and there's more I missed.

I think a Nintendogz/Petz type of game were you raise a Yoshi would be cute

I totally agree. It could be done like Viva Pinata or Pokemon.

@Fenneko

Some other pet ideas.

Call it Yoshi Pets, for name recognition.

All Color Yoshies you can raise
All Color Koopa Troopas and Parakoopas
All Color Shy Guys
Boshi
Poochi
Raven
Mouser (Different Bandit colors)
Daisies (Paper Mario)
and
Etc

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sims.

I'm not sure how well Mario can be adapted to a life simulator (such as integrating life states and needing to fill needs) but I still love the idea regardless. I'd imagine a big focus would be like, building and recreating Mario eras while customizing a variety of characters (like adjusting facial features of Toads, Koopas, Goombas, etc. as well as giving them personalities) or playing with pre-made characters such as the Mario Bros (and of course, you're free to change their personalities as well). As poorly executed as Journey to Batuu was in The Sims 4, it's not like having a Star Wars crossover is inherently a bad idea despite being a hugely different IP from Sims, and there are plenty of inventive ideas you can do with it, one example is giving a Jedi/Sith life state with unique abilities.

There is The Sims Medieval which has a more quest-like structure which I guess is another way a Mario-themed one will work.

A SimCity-esque game where you simulate running the Mushroom Kingdom as Peach could be kind of nifty.

I still think Mario Fishing should've absolutely been a thing, though my idea was more in line with how Camelot used to handle their sports games: The majority of the game would take place in realistic fishing spots where you catch real species of fish, the same as a real life professional fisherman, but there'd also be a mode where you can fish in the Mushroom Kingdom and catch fish from Mario's world, such as Cheep-Cheep, Blooper, Porcupuffer, Urchin, and so on and so forth.

Back