Does Mario really kill tanooki

Mamoru endou

Koopa Troopa
I've been bothered by this since day one, something PETA did when super Mario 3d land started to get on shelves

When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy—even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers.

Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur.
Is this true or nonsense, does Mario kill tanooki

When on a mission to rescue the princess, Mario has been known to use any means necessary to defeat his enemy—even wearing the skin of a raccoon dog to give him special powers.
Yes, Mario has defeated countless of Bowser's minions BECAUSE they're Bowser's minions, and any means necessary is a blatant exaggeration. He didn't just go for Shadow Mario and later Bowser in Sunshine, he cleaned up the island and restored all the Shine Sprites. He didn't leave the Tostareneans freezing with Knucklotec (I hope I spelled both right). He didn't let Torkdrift steal all of the flowers in Steam Gardens, and I could go on and on. Mario has a mission, but also helps the people he encounters along the way. Mario doesn't wear a raccoon's skin. He wears a suit that looks like a raccoon, but isn't wearing skin.

Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, [...] By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur.
Get your mind straight: Is he wearing Tanooki, or is he wearing a suit that looks like one? Don't contradict yourself when making a statement like this.

Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but in real life, tanuki are raccoon dogs who are skinned alive for their fur. By wearing Tanooki, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur.
Is this true or nonsense, does Mario kill tanooki
Yes, tanuki are skinned alive and that's not okay. But Mario is not sending a message that it's okay to wear fur. The power-up doesn't even look like Mario skinned a Tanuki. He gets the power-uo from a leaf, so there is literally zero eidence that Mario is wearing a Tanuki's fur.

This is nonsense, Mario doesn't kill/wear Tanooki.

Peta is a known troll provocative organization that spreads shocking content to get attention. Their opinion on anything is worth less than a drooling maggot.

It's a magic leaf dude.

Heck Tanooki themselves have appeared in all of like, 1 game.

Well, these are fantasy games where he gets the suit through a magic leaf instead of having to imply that he literally has their real fur and whatnot. I don't see much to complain here, even from an animal rights perspective. It's time to focus on REAL life things that are causing harm to animals instead of mario games or something like that.

Do furries kill actual wolves or cats or foxes for their fursuits? Yeah didn't think so

Do furries kill actual wolves or cats or foxes for their fursuits? Yeah didn't think so

It's confirmed furries don't but I'm pretty sure there's a body involved whenever you see someone dress as Waluigi.

It's confirmed furries don't but I'm pretty sure there's a body involved whenever you see someone dress as Waluigi.
waluigi numbers have been slowly lowering over the years
there has been mass over hunting of warios yet numbers have stayed around the same which is odd
I've heard rumors there's a factory where they mass produce the things

Peta is a known troll provocative organization that spreads shocking content to get attention. Their opinion on anything is worth less than a drooling maggot.
Yes they have gone after many video games because they think they're animal cruelty, they've been doing it since day one

Don't believe a single word of nonsense that PETA spouts.

Mario does not skin tanookis for their fur, he touches a leaf and *poof!* he's wearing a suit magically applied to him.

Reactions: zel
Yes they have gone after many video games because they think they're animal cruelty, they've been doing it since day one

They don't actually hold those extreme views, they're trolling for attention and the only way they can get attention is to pose as an extremist. Social media unfortunately rewards moronic behavior so that's why they continue doing it.

as animal liker. yeah peta are completely garbage and do more harm than good and spread misinformation, had misogynist and ableist and racist? and just other ads in really poor taste, peta have actually killed most animals in their shelter, and just. other horrible stuff i didnt even know of beofre and i already knew peta were awful (probably tw in the linked article for a bunch of things)
animal rights activists in general are highly iffy

edit: and yea im against sikinning endangered animals, i 100% agree media can v much affect how we treat real animals (see: h*rry potter inspiring pepole to get pet owls, a literally non domesticated animal. highly irresponsible. also jaws w regards to our treatmwnt of sharks), but like. would 3d land really encourage people to skin tanukis ? would it?

Last edited:
I always thought they were running a black market that sells Shine Sprites to exploit the Shine Sprite shortage and take advantage of a rare currency in Isle Delfino.

Yeah, you should never trust Peta. I just learned that they link Milk with Autism (which is so not true in my opinion), kill lots of animals in their shelters with euthanasia, encourage vegan diets in pets (despite the fact that Cats can't survive without some form of meat ingestion) and that its founder wants her corpse to be used as leather when she dies.

The tanooki suit has only appeared as a power-up in SMB3, being merged with the Super Leaf ever since 3D Land. Mario has never killed a tanooki in his entire gaming career and Peta was satirizing it so that they could get attention and nothing else. I've never played the flash game, but given its cruel imagery, I do not want to subject myself to it. And it's not just Mario they're criticizing, they've also spoken out against Pokemon (twice), Super Meat Boy, Cooking Mama, ACNH, 1-2-Switch!, and Smash Ultimate just so that they can shock kids with their cruel imagery, make fake claims, and encourage people to be against "Speciesism". I never trust the company for anything they do, and never will trust them in my life, period.

Well like, one, he gets the power-up from the Super Leaf. Second, nobody said it was real fur. It could just be cloth that's fuzzy.

As an owner of Tanuki Mario I can confirm both the suit and he are made of synthetic fiber polyester.

To be fair the Tanooki suit actually looks like a fur suit in SMB3. The leaf gives you the Raccoon Suit in that game. We never see Mario doing the skinning. It's safe to assume he doesn't because it's a kids game and that would be traumatizing. Like at a stretch I could see someone making the connection. But given no complaints in the 20yrs between SMB3 and the PETA thing it suggests PETA were trying to get a rise out of people. And PETA are a known scummy organisation for the reasons people have already given.

As for Mario suggesting wearing fur is ok - well - a) that depends if it's actually fur which we don't know and b) if that's even a bad thing. I think generally people are ok with some animal-sourced clothing if it's cruelty free, beneficial to the animal and/or for survival. Cruelty-free/beneficial could be something like wool which you'd get from shearing sheep so they can stay clean and comfortable. There's also people won't go for 'vegan' clothing because it's plastic and breaks constantly which leads to more landfill. And obviously there's people who won't want any animal clothing at all.

If Mario IS wearing fur we need to consider:
a) Was it cruelty free or beneficial? Unlikely. As you said, tanukis get killed and skinned so they can be used as clothes
b) Was it for survival? Maybe? Mario has a lot of other tools he could use so it's probably not a necessity. But he is endangering his life.
c) Is wearing fur bad? Up to you to decide. I'd say it's not a great look for Mario.

If he ISN'T wearing fur, we need to consider:
a) How much landfill and pollution each suit produces when it inevitably breaks down. Anybody got numbers on faux fur?

On a slight tangent but also worth mentioning - we DO know Mario is a killer. The SMB1 manual says that the inhabitants of the Mushroom Kingdom were transformed into bricks. And our protag Mario has no problems breaking those bricks. That's some in-universe psychopathy.

To be fair the Tanooki suit actually looks like a fur suit in SMB3. The leaf gives you the Raccoon Suit in that game. We never see Mario doing the skinning. It's safe to assume he doesn't because it's a kids game and that would be traumatizing. Like at a stretch I could see someone making the connection. But given no complaints in the 20yrs between SMB3 and the PETA thing it suggests PETA were trying to get a rise out of people. And PETA are a known scummy organisation for the reasons people have already given.

As for Mario suggesting wearing fur is ok - well - a) that depends if it's actually fur which we don't know and b) if that's even a bad thing. I think generally people are ok with some animal-sourced clothing if it's cruelty free, beneficial to the animal and/or for survival. Cruelty-free/beneficial could be something like wool which you'd get from shearing sheep so they can stay clean and comfortable. There's also people won't go for 'vegan' clothing because it's plastic and breaks constantly which leads to more landfill. And obviously there's people who won't want any animal clothing at all.

If Mario IS wearing fur we need to consider:
a) Was it cruelty free or beneficial? Unlikely. As you said, tanukis get killed and skinned so they can be used as clothes
b) Was it for survival? Maybe? Mario has a lot of other tools he could use so it's probably not a necessity. But he is endangering his life.
c) Is wearing fur bad? Up to you to decide. I'd say it's not a great look for Mario.

If he ISN'T wearing fur, we need to consider:
a) How much landfill and pollution each suit produces when it inevitably breaks down. Anybody got numbers on faux fur?

On a slight tangent but also worth mentioning - we DO know Mario is a killer. The SMB1 manual says that the inhabitants of the Mushroom Kingdom were transformed into bricks. And our protag Mario has no problems breaking those bricks. That's some in-universe psychopathy.
I hate when people try to find psychopathy and cruelty in places where there isn't. Mario is NOT a killer, breaking the blocks frees the Toads, and he NEVER wears animal fur. It's a kids game, A KIDS GAME, Mario wouldn't kill Toads in bricks and he wouldn't wear animal fur.

Now that this is mentioned, I wonder why there is no mention about the correlation between Luigi and foxes (replace the "Mario" and "tanooki" in the title with "Luigi" and "foxes" respectively). I mean, Super Mario 3D Land, the game that incited this conspiracy, is the first time Luigi wears a different suit that's not a Tanooki suit.

Obviously it's not something that's brought up, but it's interesting how nobody saw fit to put Luigi into the same ring as Mario.

Thank you for reading.

idk if youre intentionally invoking shallow edgy mario jokes or not but im p sure that was referring to super mushrooms that drop out of blocks

idk if youre intentionally invoking shallow edgy mario jokes or not but im p sure that was referring to super mushrooms that drop out of blocks
The quote from the manual says bricks, stone and horsetails:

(this is all facetious btw)

Back