Was 2021 a good year overall for you?

• Total voters

Gloriosa Daisy

I've got this!
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
MiracleDinner
3 days left of the year not counting what's left of today and I don't think this has been done yet so

Overall pretty good year for me personally but with some bad bits, I don't know too much about what went on in the world to be honest as I don't read the news

The Bad:
  • January:
    • With the COVID-19 pandemic still around school during January and early February was moved online so that sucked and I started to get lonely
  • April
    • I get very unpleasant experiences online that led me to stop interacting with certain parts of the internet over time, but still I cannot escape the horrible memories of what happened
  • May-July
    • Whilst my A-levels were officially cancelled they were replaced by similar "assessments" and this was very hard work that was quite stressful, exhausting, infuriating at times and I was pretty scared I wouldn't make it into university.
    • I was a bit sad to say goodbye to my old school but after how sad I was to leave my previous school at 13 I was able to handle it better
  • September-Early October:
    • I start feeling super rotten in myself and my future for reasons / in ways I prefer to not fully say, I didn't want to move to university and I have never been nearly as happy there as I was at home, at first social aspects and taking care of myself was a part of it but that got better, it was mainly the huge workload which involved very difficult mathematics and assessments I sometimes struggled with a lot, that was making my life so painful during this time, I also continued to experience emotional distress over the online experiences that had happened earlier in the year

The Good:
  • January:
    • I rediscover the movie Coraline for the first time since I was about 12 which was awesome alongside fan content online
    • I discover G2 of DC Super Hero Girls which gave me a lot of entertainment during the early parts of 2021
    • I reconnect with some old friends from my first school (friends I had not been in contact with since age 13) and that was heartwarming
    • After largely being on a hiatus from Mario I return to partners in time and beat it which was cool
  • February:
    • I turn 18 and have a pretty awesome day on my birthday, I got Luigi's Mansion which was a good but not amazing game and Sticker Star which I still haven't played but I don't think I'll like
    • I play through Super Mario RPG in 3 weeks in February, definitely not as good as games like PM64 but still had good characters and some memorable moments
    • I start playing Mario & Luigi Dream Team, which will probably hold the title of my favourite in the series and one of my favourite games of all time for a long time to come
  • March:
    • After putting off doing it for over a year I finally decide to take the leap and jailbreak my Wii, and it went really well so I also jailbroke my 3DS and Wii U and those went smoothly too. The process looked complicated at first but it wasn't too hard in the end, and thankfully unlike the switch, I didn't need to worry about having to be on a previous system update and/or having a certain physical version of the console. The main thing I did with this was ripping games and playing them on emulators on my windows machines and to a lesser extent my iphone 12 later on, and that was so awesome, I also tried out some mods and homebrew stuff, also for the 3DS it was super convenient to be able to play NDS games on the go without having to physically bring cartridges with me
  • April:
    • (I think it started around april and continued into june) I revisit some of the X-Men movies from my childhood and really liked that and ended up watching the entire series (including the original three, the four 'prequels' (not exactly prequels due to complex time travel stuff), the three wolverines, the two deadpools, and the new mutants) in the space of a few months, that was awesome
  • June:
    • After my exams finally finish I unbox my Nintendo Switch, and play Super Mario Odyssey. SMO is one of my all time favourite video games and probably my favourite main series mario platformer, but as for the console itself, I think it's good, but I don't think it's as good as people say cause like people were always hyping it up to be amazing and that made me a little dissappointed when I finally had it, I like it but not as much as the Wii, Wii U, or 3DS, I won't go into too much detail as to why because I don't want to derail too much but I think big reasons include price of everything, NSO, and lack of exclusive games that I really wanna play
  • July
    • With no work whatsoever to do really I have a pretty relaxing and cool summer holiday, though I didn't do anything too interesting with my time
    • I get Tropical Freeze and Mario Party 10, both excellent games imo
    • I finally beat Dream Team though a part of me was sad to beat what I considered "the last truly great Mario RPG" not counting remakes
    • I watch the original Teen Titans series and that was very good just not quite as epic as TTG
  • August:
    • It turns out my grades were good and I did get into university, it was my second choice one rather than my first (I prefer not to say exactly where I am going) but it was still a very good one so that was cool
    • I get Super Mario Maker 2 though I only had NSO during the 7 day trial cause the £20/year scheme ain't worth it imo still a cool game and I don't regret my decisions but tbh it lost a lot of the magic of the original
    • I get an iPhone 12 (there were some phones I had before then but only one was a smartphone and even then it was slow old and had poor battery so I didn't really use it for non-essential stuff anyways) it was cool and I did game on it via Dolphinios which was so epic to finally have games like SPM playable on just something i can fit in my coat and hold in my hand a laptop is portable too but not like this. (I think I would have preferred an android phone but my parents insisted i got an iphone so i agreed and it was still cool to get my first good smartphone even if it could have been better)
  • September:
    • Whilst university was as I said far from an entirely good experience particularly academically, there were still some good things that came out of it, making new friends, the freshness of starting the new life, and I ended up doing a much better job of living independently than either I or my family had expected
    • By using NFC tags I finally unlock the TTG content in LEGO Dimensions after having owned the game since Xmas 2020
  • October:
    • Whilst it was in the summer of 2020 that I started watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, it was in late 2021 that my love for the series truly took off (I think it was cause of the new G5 movie that I enjoyed so I decided to start watching more FiM and that was a good decision), and I started thoroughly watching it in order rather than just watching random episodes here and there
  • November:
  • December:
    • I get a long stay at home over the holidays that I'm a lot more grateful for having been away for so long
    • I get my first ever gaming pc (it's a laptop; i'm pretty sure "Personal Computer" includes laptops but I've never had a gaming desktop), that I custom configured with specs i7-11800H, GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, the laptop was very late to arrive but once it came it was so awesome and easily my favourite PC I've ever had I've mainly been using it for Minecraft with shaders and emulation of nintendo games it works a charm
    • The xmas period has been pretty good, I got some nice family time and watched the first equestria girls movie that was amazing, lots of gaming too

Last edited:
The good:
-I finished an entire semester of college with straight A's
-I started releasing Mii game mods that have gotten decent traction

The bad:
-I still have depression
-I had to spend 99.9% of my year only seeing people over 50, which night not sound that bad, but trust me, it sucks
-I still have SA trauma
-I haven't gotten to see my boyfriend since 2020
-I can't get out of the identity crisis I've been having all year
-My mom, just in general
-A former friend who's 23 and dating a 17 year old kept accusing me of lying about him being horrible

So overall, not great. I'm really hoping 2022 goes better since I'm moving away to be with my boyfriend and cutting all ties with my mom.

id say it was pretty good. i got into angry birds late july! played some great games for the first time, one as recently as a few days ago! also got back into transformice which has also been fun! but angry birds is the biggest thing i think
shame about the exams in late april-early june breaking me forever in regards to studying bc they were suuuper sterssful + the HORRID THING that is nfts and crypto taking off more and more!!!!!!!!!

I'd say 2021 went alright for me, better than 2020, that's for sure. I was at a fairly low point in my personal life in 2020, which has improved this year. Unfortunately, school was very stressful for me this year, but hopefully I'll have a better grip at things the following year. In terms of games, I've played some great ones this year, such as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Mario Party Superstars, although I haven't acquired as many as I did last year.

It was eh. I still have that sour taste of 2020 lingering onto me. (Personal problems along with other things even before 2020). At least for now I have a job so at least things seem to be heading in a positive direction.

COVID-19 is dreadful like ever and our current political climate in the US is worsening.

I've gotten a first job at least which lent me valuable job experience, new friends, new connections with other people, and I got my dream position of being promoted at MarioWik, all of these are excellent events but

no

2021 isn't a good year. It started off terribly with that 1/6 coup bullshit. It's only slightly better than 2020 just because of the vaccine, which was all around awful (it isn't a high bar to set), but with this fucking pandemic still going on, it still manages to place on the bottom of my years, next to Trump's election and presidency in 2016-2020, which ranks among one of the absolute worst events and mistakes the US can ever have, make no mistake about it.

Also I'm still not with my twin sister which is absolutely dreadful. I still despise being separated from her, no year would constitute as a good year the longer I stay separated from her.

A bit late, but 2021 was very marginally above average by the standards of my personal life, but I still would not call it a good year overall/including other aspects, because of COVID. Biden's been better than Trump so far but that is not saying much at all since for example he said he was going to be more pro-immigrant and then flip-flopped to support deporting immigrants seeking asylum.

The good for me 2021:
-I graduated high school
-I finally not only didn't get picked last for something, but got first pick in a basketball game at an elementary school reunion
-I went to Spain, and Gibraltar too (both being the first countries outside of the U.S. I've ever been in)
-I got a job as a bus boy at Big Ed's
-Good grades, especially since I got an A on my Spanish I college prereq which no one was expecting, as I have a really good teacher in that class

The bad for me 2021:
-My dog, Boone, dying
-My parents in general. They still will not let me buy another 3DS with my own money as long as I'm in their house, or use Instagram at all in the house; the thing being I have been clear I only use it for showing fun things and art in my life, and they only say, "I don't want to hear it" and "well Dad's parents were worse" instead of giving any actual counterarguments, for both of these ways

Back