Sonic Frontiers

SegaHireThisMan (1).png

I've seen the combat, and I do think it's a slightly better video than the first one. The boss fight does give me quite the Shadow of Colossus vibes; not that bad actually, good rising difficulty of the fight. However for the other enemies, while those weak ones don't take too many hits to kill, the other ones do seem like they take too long to destroy, but I don't know if they're like minibosses or common enemies. If they're really common, we're going to have a problem.

Welp, there's been two new trailers, more hands-on impressions, people have actually played the game, it's like the Sonic Cycle but backwards.

Welp, there's been two new trailers, more hands-on impressions, people have actually played the game, it's like the Sonic Cycle but backwards.

Two new ones?

I've finished Sonic Frontiers yesterday.

AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GAME!

IIt's not perfect mind you, there are definitely places the game could be improved on. But as is? It's still to me, probably the best 3D Sonic game since Adventure 2. No disrespect meant to Colors or Generations but the boost-only games got stale for me overtime. Only so much moving forward only and side scrolling I could take. The Open Zone gameplay of Frontiers finally brings back a real 360 degree movement for Sonic that hasn't been seen since the Adventure era of games. And speeding throughout the islands feels exhilarating. It helps that the story, music, and voice acting are all pretty top notch too. I think the moment I really fell in love with this game, was for sure the first titan fight with Super Sonic. That's an experience that I haven't felt in a Sonic game in nearly 2 decades.

With the success this game is having across the board both with reviewers and fans alike.This is looking to be the future of Sonic for a good while. AND I'M ALL FOR IT! I want to see a Mystic Ruins and/or Station Square hubworld that includes setpieces from SA1's hubworld but expanded to be as big as a Sonic Frontiers island. There's so much potential with Open Zone. And while the combat is rather simple compared to many beat em' ups , it's still a lot of fun being able to pick and choose your moves.

I am so glad this game exceeded expectations. It's about time there was a general good feeling about a 3D Sonic game, rather the the past few years of "Sega will never make a good 3D Sonic game ever again"

I am playing this and have finished the first two island. Running around as Sonic in an open world is very fun, and I just generally enjoy having the ability to run around these islands and find whatever there is. Cyber Space is also a nice break, the usual boost gameplay of replaying a level over and over again trying to do as well as possible nevers gets old. Combats kind of lame but also it's Sonic so I just running past every enemy anyway. Highly recommend if you enjoy good video games.

The Ian Flynn thing makes me a little more optimistic. I'm really just not a fan of Ken Pontac's work, so I'm glad we'll be getting a different writer this time. As long as the story attempts to be sincere instead of hollow or, even worse, excessively cynical and meta, then I'll be willing to accept whatever it is it has to throw our way.

That being said, right now all we saw was a CG-I cutscene, so I think it's a bit too early to judge anything other than the potential general direction the game is going to go. I'm not the most optimistic gameplay wise, and I do think that the more realistic approach to the environment might not be doing it any favors, but I'll wait until I see trailers that actually have gameplay before I decide on whether or not whatever they're going to attempt is a good idea.
responding to my old post to say that i love the game and the gameplay loop is the best part about it, actually. and the story did indeed attempt to be sincere (and re-rail characters, at that). i really liked how they were all written this time around.

the realistic approach the environment was a common complaint and i can definitely see it, it'd be nice if the elements were better incorporated into the design of the maps rather than just... random... floating rails off in space. there's also points where navigating the map is confusing and it's hard to figure out what goes where (the last major island is especially guilty of this). you can also tell some corners were cut, given that the last two islands are just extensions of the first one.

also, the pop-in. dear god, the pop-in.

i really think open world is a good approach to sonic, though. this big playground to do a bunch of little activities is an idea they could expand upon and refine in future titles if they decide to stick with it. it works pretty well here, though there are places with room for improvement... but sonic frontiers definitely proves the idea has merit. if they address the criticisms (such as the issues with physics, the environment thing i mentioned, etc.) we could have a really fun sonic frontiers 2 on our hands.

also, don't forget that we have DLC on the way! looks like it's mostly free, too.

Back