Actually good licenced games

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Long ago, when games on the phone were just a cheap distraction people who were desperate to play anything even if it meant playing with most unresponsive controls ever, if a game was crappy, it was likey a licenced game rushed out to be out near when ever what it promotes came out, but there were some diamonds in the rough, which ones, from past or present, do you think are actually good?

Have you ever heard of Tom and Jerry: War of the Whiskers? It's one of those rare Power Stone like fighters and makes you feel you're making a Tom and Jerry cartoon yourself, don't expect a deep competitive thing from this and accept it more of goofy slapstick fun, especially when you have friends over for multiplayer

oh phone games !
shrek the third on j2me or symbian phones whatever is a surprisingly decent platformer for the platform (lmao) and i really like the pixel art
my only issues is that the combat is nohting worthwhile bc all you do is mash 5 (except for tree enemies where you mash 5 to pull their had out the ground n them ground pound them Its Something at least), and that it still is laggy but that is 100% to be expected
heres some photos from july the last time i played thru it. beat it in an hour almost exactly its a short game
IMG_20210703_000938.jpg
IMG_20210703_003356.jpg
IMG_20210703_004354.jpg
IMG_20210703_010051.jpg

shrek can spin dash

I remember actually enjoying Monster's Inc., Scream Arena, let's you play in teams and you get to throw balls at each other like a weird dodgeball game. Kinda strange to attach the Monster's Inc label to but yeah.

Another one I liked was the Billy & Mandy 3D brawler game, probably the closest thing to a 3D Smash clone lol.

Also, I heard Cars 2 and 3 were actually pretty good. I've seen footage of them and yeah...they look fun. Only issue is their speed but they look like solid racing games.

I've owned Tom and Jerry War of the Whiskers, it was pretty good for what it was. (I also liked that they had included some of the outfits from the cartoons and even had included some one-off characters). And Tom and Jerry Mouse Attacks on Game Boy Color was also a short decent game.

Not sure if they would hold up today, but games like Bugs Life and Tarzan on N64, The Incredibles on Gamecube, Looney Tunes Back in Action on Gamecube, and Shrek 2 were pretty fun. (Especially the 4 player co-op in Shrek 2).

The TMNT and Simpson's arcade games were also fun.

Beetle Adventure Racing is a licensed game meant to advertise the New Beetle. It had no reason to be good, but it's a great game whose visuals aged decent. You also can throw missiles at other people in its well-known multiplayer mode.

SpongeBob Lights Camera Pants
SpongeBob Battle For Bikini Bottom
SpongeBob Creature From the Krusty Krab
Dragon Ball Z Budokai trilogy
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Marvel's Spider Man
Batman Arkham Series (Minus Origins)
South Park The Stick of Truth
The Witcher 2 and 3
Aladdin on SNES and Genesis
Goof Troop
Chicken Run
Toy Story 2 and 3
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Goldeneye
Nightfire
Super Star Wars Trilogy
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Wars Squadron
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Jedi Academy
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
The Lion King
Everything Or Nothing
Ducktales
Batman on NES
Batman Returns on SNES
Spider Man 2
Spider Man on PS1

As someone who is very into the Precure series, I've played all of the handheld games based on the franchise and there are a few I'd genuinely classify as 'good' or at least 'decent'.

Futari wa Pretty Cure on GBA is a fun little puzzle-platformer.

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart on GBA is a pretty alright platformer.

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart on the DS is a fun side-scrolling beat 'em up.

Yes Pretty Cure 5 on the DS is actually a really good turn-based strategy game that follows the anime's story (the only downside is it only adapts the first 22 episodes and skips 6, 13, 15, and 19).

Go Princess Precure on the 3DS is a fun match-3 puzzle game.

Precure Tsunagaru Pazurun on Android and iOS was a really goddamn fun one-stroke puzzle game (you know one of those games where you have a grid with a bunch of pieces of different colors and you have to draw a single line connecting as many pieces of one color in order to clear them and get as high a score by clearing a bunch of pieces as possible) that, despite having gacha elements, was actually really fair with them and would even limit the amount of money you could spend on the game per month depending on your age (IIRC it was something like 12 and under could only spend ~$30/mo on the game, 13-17 could spend ~$70, and 18 and older had no limit, which at least meant that little kids couldn't run up their parent's credit card bills or whatever).

But that above game shut down in June 2020 and it sucks.

One I very much like and never see mentioned when this topic is brought up

1638559302621.png

A space combat game by the folks behind stuff like Starlancer and Star Trek Invasion, this was released as a tie-in to the reboot show but is actually its own continuity that mostly takes after the 80's original. Solid graphics, great controls, decent mission design and variety. It's short and has insane difficulty spikes (typical of games by that developer) but fans of space combat games will probably enjoy themselves.

Back