"Staple characters"

Meias

Captain Syrup gang™
Pronouns
He/they
Those characters that [mostly] appear in most games, the ones you think of when you hear "Mario characters", these should be them imo:

'The' Mario cast:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Toadette (not Toad, don't like the 'generic species characters')
Yoshi (i'm not a hypocrite)
Toadsworth
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Kamek
Koopa Troopa (I can accept him and Shy Guy)
Shy Guy
Dr. Goomba Tower (not a single Goomba, not basic Goomba Tower, specifically Doctor Goomba Tower)
King Bob-Omb
Madame Broode
Fawful (only after they properly bring him back in a new Mario & Luigi game)
Captain Toad
Goombella
Pauline
Rosalina
Prince Peasley
Birdo
Vivian
Wario
Waluigi
Captain Syrup
Ashley
DK
Diddy
Dixie
King K. Rool

(Also, hi!)

Last edited:
i appreciate including dixie in that list i genuinely really want her to start appearing in non-dk spinoffs again and also get generic vector 2d art

I think the list is too generous. Lemme try fixing that
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Yoshi
Rosalina
let's be honest, Nintendo cares less about the rest. Even Yoshi and Rosalina aren't that much of regulars buuuut Yoshi is recognizable enough and features in more art than not.

yknow they did say that "these should be them", not that thats how it actually is in the games

Ignoring the actual stapler I'd say the biggest staples are Mario Peach Toad(s) and Bowser.

They by far are usually the most consistent in showing up.

Ignoring the actual stapler I'd say the biggest staples are Mario Peach Toad(s) and Bowser.

I'd add Luigi to that list, simply because it's not until Luigi's Mansion 3 that Peach has appeared whereas Mario, Bowser, and Toads still appear (I don't think Bowser appears in 2 and 3 though). Luigi has been appearing consistently in Mario platformers since Super Mario Galaxy (in fact, in terms of Mario platformers, Sunshine and 64 and the Super Mario Land games are the only platformer titles iirc that don't have Luigi, and even so, 64DS introduced Luigi). Luigi even has his own games before Peach got her own game, especially New Super Luigi U and his own year.

What about the Koopalings? Larry Koopa, Morton Koopa Jr, Wendy O. Koopa, Iggy Koopa, Roy Koopa, Lemmy Koopa, and Ludwig von Koopa may have spotty attendance in the series, but I consider them staple characters for sure.

I still push for Toad playable in Smash Bros tho

Back