Which Mario game ideas would you want and wouldn’t want in the future?

Nate Jacobs

WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
Self-explanatory. I'd want there to be a Mario and Luigi game where you play as Wario and Waluigi as well as the Mario brothers (although a lot of people want that), I wouldn't want another New Super Mario Bros. game.

Theres several things i want, like an hd remake of the first paper mario, mario galaxy 3, and a fresh and unique mario & luigi

there isnt really anything i dont want, I mean I guess i dont want nintendo to get another series to mobile like maybe mario party, but theres nothing that would straight up make me mad

I think a 3D platformer game where you can control multiple characters independently to solve puzzles would be a cool idea. I also want a 3D platformer with Bowser as the main character since capturing him in Odyssey was really fun.

Also, since Nintendo is too stubborn to bring Paper Mario fully back to its RPG roots, and Mario & Luigi is probably out of the picture for now, I'd like to see a brand new Mario RPG. And if they still insist on being so stingy with new original characters, at least dive deeper into what's been created for the franchise instead of mostly sticking to the same safe NSMB-type picks.

What I want:
  • Odyssey style platformer
  • Paper Jam style RPG
  • New Wario game
What I don't want:
  • Gritty reboot
  • Shoot em up
  • Mario basketball or football

I'd like a genre that hasn't been dabbled in before. Something like Mario + Rabbids. Or Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. Like, maybe a dedicated Mario snowboarding game in a similar vein to Snowboard Kids, or any new sports titles that hasn't been done before for Mario such as wrestling or football. An original IP being a Mario-themed rhythm game would be so great. Have a real-time strategy game like Starcraft. Hack n' Slash like the commonly suggested Super Mario Warriors, or a beat 'em up or a shoot' em up would be so much fun if Streets of Rage or Metal Slug taught us anything. I'll even welcome a Mario Diablo-clone with open arms. A Mario FPS would be so amazing. Whatever gets Mario fans playing genres that are super fun but they otherwise wouldn't be playing because they aren't Mario/Nintendo games.

What I don't want? Another cookie-cutter Mario title. Or another port for the Switch. That includes games from New Super Mario Bros., Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi. Alphadream is dead so we won't get that coveted Partners in Time remake and somehow a nuclear explosion hasn't been set off.

And personally, Yoshi's Island should have another go but that's because I'm biased. Someone else should develop it other than Arzest. Good Feel should make another Wario Land game.

I'd like a genre that hasn't been dabbled in before. Something like Mario + Rabbids. Or Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. Like, maybe a dedicated Mario snowboarding game in a similar vein to Snowboard Kids, or any new sports titles that hasn't been done before for Mario such as wrestling or football. An original IP being a Mario-themed rhythm game would be so great. Have a real-time strategy game like Starcraft. Hack n' Slash like the commonly suggested Super Mario Warriors, or a beat 'em up or a shoot' em up would be so much fun if Streets of Rage or Metal Slug taught us anything. I'll even welcome a Mario Diablo-clone with open arms. A Mario FPS would be so amazing. Whatever gets Mario fans playing genres that are super fun but they otherwise wouldn't be playing because they aren't Mario/Nintendo games.

What I don't want? Another cookie-cutter Mario title. Or another port for the Switch. That includes games from New Super Mario Bros., Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi. Alphadream is dead so we won't get that coveted Partners in Time remake and somehow a nuclear explosion hasn't been set off.

And personally, Yoshi's Island should have another go but that's because I'm biased. Someone else should develop it other than Arzest. Good Feel should make another Wario Land game.
I agree, I'd really like to see Mario spinoffs drift into new territory too. In the last decade we've had a whopping two Mario games that weren't part of an already established series - Puzzle & Dragons and Mario + Rabbids. Arguably three if you count Treasure Tracker, but that's a bit iffy since it spun off from content we already saw in 3D World. Mario Maker is kind of its own thing too but still considered part of the Super Mario platformer series as a whole.

And frankly, Switch ports are overrated. I feel like they only exist to 1. double dip on the poor sales of the Wii U and 2. compensate for the lack of a proper Virtual Console, which there's really no reason not to have. I don't want to pay full price for a game I already own with relatively minimal added content. Just bring back Virtual Console and call it a day.

please i just want mario + rabbids 2 and also mario odyssey 2 these are incredibly biased requests
would also like a 2d mario game that was less generic and had a unique artstyle! and more unique gameplay too. yeah
gimme another donkey kong game honestly. especialy if its more than just more dkc1 pandering. put kiddy kong and squitter the spider in it
another mario spinoff (kart, sports games, whatever) with a cool roster full of more obscure picks similar to super sluggers would slap So hard!! yes asking for awesomer dk rep here too
may i repeat mario + rabbids 2 again im so impatient
i dont really have anything i wouldnt want! theres just like.. games that can happen that id simply care less about than others

And frankly, Switch ports are overrated. I feel like they only exist to 1. double dip on the poor sales of the Wii U and 2. compensate for the lack of a proper Virtual Console, which there's really no reason not to have. I don't want to pay full price for a game I already own with relatively minimal added content. Just bring back Virtual Console and call it a day.

I remember being told at launch that the ports doesn't necessarily mean no new games will be made.

Three years counting to four in the Switch's lifespan and here we are with no new Mario Kart, no new 2D Mario platformer, and no new Donkey Kong Country title. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is still a pretty strong seller too, which less incentives the need for a new one, despite 8 being like a 6 year old game now.

And they're still porting old crap!!!!!

It gives people the chance to play the games they wanted to play but didn't have that system.
That's what Virtual Console was for, but since Nintendo decided not to bring it back for some reason, now we're stuck with full price ports of old games and retro games that are trickled in incredibly slowly that you also have to subscribe to an online service to even play.

It gives people the chance to play the games they wanted to play but didn't have that system.
True but they could just give us some reduced price old games. Super Mario 3D All Stars couldve been fine if it wasn't priced so painfully high and wasn't a limited time offer.

If Nintendo wanted to bring older games to the new system, they should focus on the ones in older systems. Like for example, there's the baseball games for the Gamecube and Wii, and then there's Fortune Street if they want to go there. Too many Wii U games were already ported, which far outnumbers the number of Gamecube games ported to the Wii, that if Nintendo were to make a system that didn't fare well I am willing to wait for their next system because I am sure they will port their games there and it will play much better (I doubt it would happen because they might have learned very well from it).

Thank you for reading.

I want the first three Paper Mario games on the Switch, a revival of the M&L series through Nintendo hiring the devs from AlphaDream into an internal studio, and a new Mario Kart game that focuses on bringing in characters and track environments from across the Marioverse, including spinoffs and not just what already has 3D assets. Basically my vision of an ensemble Mario cast, as sadly bleak as the chances are.

I would want Double Dash mode being added and I want Nintendo to bring Paper Mario back from the mess they put it into from Sticker Star onwards. I don't want another Sticker Star or Color Splash ever again.

I don't expect another 2D or 3D Mario platformer or a new Mario Kart. Maybe a Paper Mario collection could happen. I could see a new Mario sports game happen in the near future. Mario Party? I'm not sure if I would like another one, since that there's already one that could really use more content and updates. (Especially for online multiplayer, but I know that's not going to happen at this point). Maybe a new Mario series that hasn't been done before could happen.

New Wario Land
Mario TCG
Mario Warriors
Mario & Luigi revival
Yoshi Story 2
Bomberman in Smash

A full blown pipe dream I know, but I would like to see a Mario game that actually incorporates the Mario extended universe
into the game in fun ways . Have E-Gadd, Dr Crygor and Penny work together on a big project, a villain team up between King Boo and Bowser to defeat the Mario Bros, A Luigi's Mansion esque sequence where Luigi accidentally steps into Ashley's mansion, 9-Volt and 18-Volt getting all starstruck over Mario, Mario meeting Cranky again for the first time since forever, not realizing he's the OG DK, Captain Syrup, Popple and Nabbit attempting a heist scheme or competing against each other, K Rool and Syrup getting into a pirate fight, DK going after Wario and Waluigi for stealing his banana hoard. Just a full blown Avengers styled crossover where all the Mario, Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion and Wario characters join forces, even if it's a one time thing.

As for what I don't want.
Another NSMB game. I don't hate the series, I think they're fun enough games, but it's time for a brand new style of 2D Mario platformer
that isn't cut from the same thread.

Last edited:
Yes I always have wanted something like that. Mario has enough material for a full blown cinematic universe and Nintendo only uses the same ~10 characters most of the time, and even less in the main series (we haven't even seen Waluigi make his debut in the core games yet!)

• A new 3D Donkey Kong game, don't care if it's sandbox or linear.

• An actual, RPG Paper Mario game that doesn't try hard to """""innovate""""" the battle system. (Read: using shitty paper gimmicks to justify Mario's actions, or forcing a puzzle minigame in each battle; just plain ol' classic turn-based battles where you earn EXP.) Preferably, it should have more species and character design variety a la 64/TTYD as I'm getting burned out on default Toads and Goombas and Koopas. I don't care about story much since Paper Mario never had any compelling plots to begin with, but I've always liked the humour and dialogue so they should keep that. Actually, you know what, just remake the first two games... and the third one, eh, why not.

• GUYS YOU REMEMBAH WARIO LAHND?

how long has it been since i posted outside fourm games i honestly cant remember

I'd personally like a 2.5D Mario Platformer in the style of games like Klonoa or something. (No, NSMB and 3D Land/World don't count). It'd be interesting to see Mario move to the right while also being able to go north or south.

Back