Should there be a Direct sequel to Super Mario Bros USA?

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Many elements from Panic at the Doki Doki have made appearances in modern Mario games but outside of remakes, the exact style of gameplay and that gameplay alone has not had an entire game based upon it, so that being said, should there be another game that plays like SMB2/USA should be made? I think a cool thing is adding more characters and seeing how they can be made unique, I think it shouldn't have the same exact setting however

I agree completely, especially about not having the same setting. Maybe Bowser finds out about Wart and teams up with him somehow. Throw Tatanga into the mix too for good measure.

Absolutely. The second game is such a fresh departure from the other series games with its re-enterable rooms, lack of a time limit, needing throw crap at enemies to kill them, finding power-ups being Mushrooms in Subon with doors, focus on vertical platforming, and its unique way of killing bosses makes me really want a revisit with its gameplay style. Would be nice to shake it up after the flood of New Super Mario Bros. games.

id be up for it! and the reverse too, subcon looks pretty interesting so id just love another game featuring that setting (wouldnt be the same without a lot of the same mechanics still though)

Well Birdo stays, the core concept of multiple playable characters also came from there. If NIntendo is willing to use it as referenes, I do think they can do more.

I agree completely, especially about not having the same setting. Maybe Bowser finds out about Wart and teams up with him somehow
I think if Bowser isn't going to team up with other currently active villains like Wario, KRool, King Boo and King Bob-omb, the idea of bringing back Wart to be Bowser's companion wouldn't be liked by NIntendo. Likely Bowser would still work on his own even if some past villains return.

And if NIntendo isn't willing to have someone else beside Bowserbe the villain in Super Mario titles, it's more likely for Wart to have a different role in new games.

I would love a game of SMB2's formula in a future game. Unfortunately, SMB2 is the "black sheep" of the Mario NES saga.

SMB2 is probably my fave of the NES Mario games, so hell yeah I think there should be a sequel/spiritual successor to it.

And honestly, I know we're all talking about 2D games here, but I'm still disappointed that SMB3DW didn't really take anything from SMB2 even though it had all the same playable characters.

Well Birdo stays, the core concept of multiple playable characters also came from there. If NIntendo is willing to use it as referenes, I do think they can do more.

I think if Bowser isn't going to team up with other currently active villains like Wario, KRool, King Boo and King Bob-omb, the idea of bringing back Wart to be Bowser's companion wouldn't be liked by NIntendo. Likely Bowser would still work on his own even if some past villains return.

And if NIntendo isn't willing to have someone else beside Bowserbe the villain in Super Mario titles, it's more likely for Wart to have a different role in new games.

Didn't Bowser team up with Antasma in M&L: Dream Team? I don't really remember the game much but I'm pretty sure he's teamed up with other villains before.

Didn't Bowser team up with Antasma in M&L: Dream Team? I don't really remember the game much but I'm pretty sure he's teamed up with other villains before.
Platformers tho.

The thing is RPGs can provide a proper story scenario to explain the partnership. As for platformers, it'd be two different troops on the same screen (imagine fighting a kremling and a paratroopa at one time) If Nintendo want to go with simple gameplay, they might not really like this idea.

I see your point I guess, but Tatanga was the main villain of Super Mario Land and they had him team up with Wario. I know they're not Bowser but they're platformers, and it shows a pecedent for willingness to have previous villains team up with newer ones. I'm sure it's unlikely but it'd be an interesting idea imo.

Super Mario Bros. 2 USA isn't some game you can leverage Super Mario Maker to be a cheap stand-in for, so that's a plus. That's owing to the unique gameplay for a Mario game. Super Mario Bros. 2 is my favorite of the classic Mario games since the other classic Mario games are pretty much superseded by sequels (I can't say Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros. 3 are somehow better than the later Super Mario Bros. games and I don't agree with much of the praise surrounding Super Mario Bros. 3 in particular). Super Mario Bros. 2 USA is an odd one: Peach is playable which is a plus, Toad is also playable, Luigi has his own sprite (????? why did they not continue this in Super Mario Bros. 3; even Lost Levels managed to make Luigi play a bit different).

So yes Nintendo should make a sequel to this one. They pander a lot to nostalgia but only selectively.

Sure, a proper sequel to SMB2USA would undeniably be a breath of fresh air after the NSMBs and Makers and it would be great to see the likes of Wart and co again.

Plus. Mario 2's gameplay and mechanics has tons of potential that could be expanded upon and refined for future games.

Back