Do you wish there were more continues in Super Mario Bros. 2?

FirePuppy

Koopa Troopa
Continue Screen.png

Seriously, two is not enough. Why not nine, or even best yet, infinite? It always sucks whenever you get a Game Over for a third time in a row, especially when you're so close to beating a certain boss.

Limited continues absolutely suck. Thankfully, I've heard the SNES version fixes that and removes the continue limit, but it's baffling why they were even added in the first place. Doki Doki Panic didn't limit your continues...

better yet just remove lives altogether i do not like lives!!! ok this wasnt a genuine request cause the roulette and the coins will just become useless altogether but i just dont like lives in video games

better yet just remove lives altogether i do not like lives!!! ok this wasnt a genuine request cause the roulette and the coins will just become useless altogether but i just dont like lives in video games

Well, the point is, lives are always common in every game, with some exceptions like Super Princess Peach and the Wario Land sequels.

In Super Mario Bros. 2 USA I just spam grabbing cherries in one of the desert levels and combo kill Pokeys and just exit and reenter the area, continue killing Pokeys until the star expires. And then reenter to recollect the cherries.

Coins aren't 100% useless even if lives are, though. Coins are very good for level design, and they designate safe spots from various obstacles and point to areas that are safe to drop down into. Coins just need another use, that's all.

i was referring to smb2 coins which can only be plucked up from the plants in the door potion subarea thingies like thosell just lose the point

Well in that case, yeah, they'll be useless. Not like lives are that much of a problem in SMB2USA if you do the technique my sister did but they're so obsolete mechanics that should have died in the 90's. Alongside timers (SMB2USA doesn't even have timers, it was way ahead of its time lol)

Reactions: zel
You know, there is one way you could get that many continues. I've tried it on an emulator called "BizHawk". By using RAM Search, you can change the number of continues by clicking on the thumb tack icon and setting the value of the address 05C5 to a different number. A value of 3-9 will simply give you 3-9 continues, while 10-34 continues will show a letter of the alphabet next to the word Continue, 35 continues shows a hyphen, 39 shows a question mark, 40-41 shows a period or bullet, 42-47 shows nothing, making it look identical to the prototype Game Over menu. You can have a maximum of 128 continues, but a value higher than 128 will get you no continues at all.

I have proof if you don't believe me:
SMB2 Game Over Hyphen.png SMB2 Game Over Question Mark.png SMB2 Game Over Period.pngSMB2 Game Over Maximum.png

At least the remakes offer infinite continues, so the continue limit was only a problem in the original NES version.

Back