Super Smash Bros. 64 Tier List

Blue

Plumbing my way into your hearts since 1985
For reference here's the official one if your just here to see who to play as
9C6682BE-2081-4C8A-A9FD-DE797D628086.jpeg

Last edited:
Ness's down air is so much fun to use in this game lol

Ness's down air is so much fun to use in this game lol
Honestly that's the only reason I put him on A tier instead of B. Also it has some decent combo power which Smash 64 is all about Combos if I am not mistaken.
Also Link is way better than people let on. Sure his recover is crap but he is an amazing character in my opinion.

I disagree with how Fox is on there. First, can I hear from you? Why do you think Fox should be there?

Fox's projectile is the best in the game. It travels fast, does a decent amount of knockback, not very hard to use (especially combined with short hop). With all those qualities, you can inflict a lot of pressure on opponents from very far away. It adds to Fox's qualities of being quite an excellent camper (Fox has a lot of mobility too), and Fox is among the reasons Hyrule Castle eventually was banned.

Fox's gun is so good you see it again in Falco in Melee pretty much.

What Fox has is a lot more I can say compared to Link, another character I also don't agree with on the list.

I don't play much competitive Smash to have any confident idea but I think it'll look similar to the established official ones.

Pikachu
Kirby

Captain Falcon
Fox
Jigglypuff/Yoshi (eh?

Mario(?)

Samus
Ness

Donkey Kong

Luigi
Link

again, idk and ultimately none of this is really important since bob-ombs do a whopping 30% damage at minimum

I don't play much competitive Smash to have any confident idea but I think it'll look similar to the established official ones.

Pikachu
Kirby

Captain Falcon
Fox
Jigglypuff/Yoshi (eh?

Mario(?)

Samus
Ness

Donkey Kong

Luigi
Link

again, idk and ultimately none of this is really important since bob-ombs do a whopping 30% damage at minimum
I put Luigi and Mario onto the same tier because Luigi is nearly identical to Mario. And link is not terrible he has a good smash game being like a combo of Mario and Fox. Dk is Crap in every way though

Luigi has a lot of glaring weaknesses that Mario doesn't though. While their recovery game is kinda similar, Luigi does not have the air or ground speed (and ground speed has the worst traction in the game), and that makes his approach really poor on both areas. His projectile does kinda aid in approach, but it's not as good as Mario's since it floats. Luigi has one of the worst moves in the game, his dash, which was done so poorly since the developers couldn't implement a final attack that hits stronger than the others (you can even see the hitbox for it, but it doesn't actually connect). Luigi's down special works differently and CAN KO at higher percents, but I don't find it very reliable as a kill move.

Luigi has some weaker moves than Mario overall, too, but some of the stronger moves like U smash works pretty much the same.

Luigi might be in a similar spot as Dr. Mario, that he has some glaring weaknesses but isn't like terrible as Meele Bowser or Meele Kirby or Barlw Ganondorf, but he's basically an inferior Mario and his qualities don't justify using over Mario, so his usability suffers.

Luigi has a lot of glaring weaknesses that Mario doesn't though. While their recovery game is kinda similar, Luigi does not have the air or ground speed (and ground speed has the worst traction in the game), and that makes his approach really poor on both areas. His projectile does kinda aid in approach, but it's not as good as Mario's since it floats. Luigi has one of the worst moves in the game, his dash, which was done so poorly since the developers couldn't implement a final attack that hits stronger than the others (you can even see the hitbox for it, but it doesn't actually connect). Luigi's down special works differently and CAN KO at higher percents, but I don't find it very reliable as a kill move.

Luigi has some weaker moves than Mario overall, too, but some of the stronger moves like U smash works pretty much the same.

Luigi might be in a similar spot as Dr. Mario, that he has some glaring weaknesses but isn't like terrible as Meele Bowser or Meele Kirby or Barlw Ganondorf, but he's basically an inferior Mario and his qualities don't justify using over Mario, so his usability suffers.
I'll make another tier list. Also the order which the characters are in their tiers doesn't matter for me. Only which tier they are in.

So, can you explain the reasoning for any of the placements? I'd usually put Link pretty low just mainly that his recovery is just so bad, and he's overreliant on his projects since his frame data just isn't good. But what's your experience with Link?

So, can you explain the reasoning for any of the placements? I'd usually put Link pretty low just mainly that his recovery is just so bad, and he's overreliant on his projects since his frame data just isn't good. But what's your experience with Link?
Well with Link. One, I have played him a lot. And two. Itms a bit more complicated. So first off his recovery sucks ***. But it's way better when used as an attack. It definitely is good for getting opponents away when they surround you. As well Link is adaptable. Being able to either fight in melee combat or he can camp. With his bombs and arrows. His sword is very spammable and if your enemy gets locked in his sword fury. With the A button. It does massive damadge. And he has a decent air game. So I think Link is a pretty alright character. That's my opinion.

Edit: Also he has one of the best Ledge guards in the game

Last edited:
Back