One-offs for next spinoff entry?

Which character group fits in playables in spinoffs?

• Tropical Freeze : Snowmads, Ferdrik etc

• Captain Toad Treasure Tracker : Wingo

• Super Mario Odyssey : Cappy, Goombette, Glydon etc

• Paper Mario & Mario RPGs : Olivia, Mallow, Peasley etc

• Sport club athletes : Plum, Clay etc

• Luigi's Mansion : Hellen etc

• Others

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dorayaki

King Bowser
I'm now referring to cases like Nabbit (from NSMBU to MGWT) and Sprixie Princess (from SM3DW to MTO). May arguably count Honey Queen (from SMG to MK7) despite she appeared in two SMG titles.

I feel like something is weirdly missing from recent spinoffs, and it shows that we don't have new one-offs that appear in spinoffs just to make the advertising job.

Yes, I'm totally aware that people might complain there are tons of deserving main cast (Poochy, Toadsworth, Kamek, Mona, KRool, EGadd etc) that haven't made recent spinoff appearances or debut, why Nintendo should even spare time for those one-offs?

Just use a different angle, technically we had Daisy who only had one appearance in SML, and now she is a popular regular. Cannot say we should forever ban the one-offs since the spinoffs should open the opportunity for all Mario characters. It'd be nice to simlutaneously give chanes to both veterans and rookies.

And still, it shows that the spinoff entry doesn't give evergreen luck (for both Sprixie and Honey Queen in NS games), so a spinoff entry is merely just a try than a very important treat. And in a macro view, I guess "exclusive characters" "new entry" would also be a strong incentive to make people buy the games.

---------------------

With that said, the hint is "advertising" which shows that the new entry has something to do with promoting new Mario games, so it also seems weird for Nintendo to ignore the chances for recent time. So why is that? Which games did Nintendo decide to skip?

New Donkey Kong Country & Tropical Freeze
Cannot say I'm fine with KRool's absence, but the Snowmads do have interesting designs and it wouldn't be bad to see more of them in future games as long as the Kremlings still exist in the main canon.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
If every Mario main cast needs own lifetime rival: Bowser for Mario, King Boo for Luigi and Syrup for Wario, it'd be nice to announce Toad and Toadette also face their own rival for once. I think Wingo the car bird is interesting enough for a spinoff entry and become Toad's default rival.

Super Mario Odyssey
"Wait, don't we have Pauline?" I'm not fond of opinions that classifies a long-lost deserving veteran into an Odyssey rep. Besides, if Galaxy could nominate more than one original for spinoffs, I don't see why Odyssey can't nominate its own original character for spinoff entry.
With that said the nominees are arguable. Cappy / Tiara would be a bit weird but innovative for Nintendo's choice. Aside from them, Goombette / Glydon / Tostarenan Traveler could all fit in a spinoff player role.

NSMB / SMM titles
Yes, I'm aware some would ask "what about Peachette", but you all know she has something controversial about originality.
I cannot feel that Nintendo did really want to keep SMM tutorial characters in Mario's main canon for serious, since they seem to just live for guidence. Of course, if Nintendo is sick enough to memorize SMM characters in Mario spinoffs, I'm personally fine with that.

Paper Mario / RPG titles
As we always know Mario series sucks for advertising its own RPG branch, and still as a fact, newer PM titles don't focus on original characters like it used to do. Key allies like Olivia, Huey and Kerstie don't seem to have big hope for spinoff entry. Well, if any, I feel like as fairy-type ally, Cappy would be prior to all of them.
As for characters from earlier Mario RPGs, again I cannot figure out why NIntendo prefer to give koopa troopas some generic jogging hat than actually giving a Kooper alt.
Arguably, Paper Mario, the paper counterpart of Mario himself has also been a nominee since he is at least better than all those costumes in Mario Kart titles. Wouldn't mind if NIntendo go with that option over another costume next time.

Luigi's Mansion
As I mentioned in other topics, I think Hellen would be a great villainess character that Mario spinoffs have been lacking for the whole time.
As for Polterpup (who technically has been in two LM titles like Honey Queen), I'm also fine with his entry, but I can say Poochy is more deserving if we ever need a puppy for spinoff.

Mario Sport titles
Despite the sport club characters deserve it, I doubt we'd ever see them in other spinoffs if they cannot even appear in Mario Tennis Ace to advertise this game first.

Last edited:
I think the next likeliest candidate for being stuck to a spinoff is Pauline. I can imagine she becomes the next Rosalina: she first becomes a major recurring Mario character in the platformers, but she gradually shifts her relevance to spinoffs and I think Rosalina's just going to stay in spinoffs. She could've gotten more with Odyssey, according to planned art of her, but she's stuck as some tiny pixel art.

I can also imagine Cappy being at least cameo as eyes in Mario's hat every now and then but I don't see this happening in all future Mario games. Maybe some short cameo like in Smash Ultimate and a cute "remember me?" in a sports game. But Pauline seems more likely to me. We haven't seen a smidge of Odyssey content since its release really. Smash Ultimate had more Odyssey references than any of the Mario games released since then, and I find that pretty sad.

i want cappy playable in a spinoff so bad WHY didnt they do it. you have sprixie princess in mario tennis ultra smash WHERES cappy

If Mario Party were a Switch game, a lot of Odyssey characters would be used often. Seriously, Mario Party used the Super Mario 64 enemies a lot, even during the Gamecube games, as you didn't see much of blue Thwomps or Whomps in other games. Even if not, I kind of felt that Mario Party is the best series to offload those characters and repurpose them for something now. Like I guess every playable character has Bonneters (including Mario + Cappy and Peach + Tiara) and then the minigames could be about them using captured enemies/things and then winning it.

Personally speaking, I kind of like to see the sports club characters appear once more, because of how unexpected it is.

Thank you for reading.

She's ugly and hairy and fat and filler-ish and the only thing she does well is get tickled.

I know Wario is also big and hairy and fat, but in a good way.

I think the next likeliest candidate for being stuck to a spinoff is Pauline. I can imagine she becomes the next Rosalina: she first becomes a major recurring Mario character in the platformers, but she gradually shifts her relevance to spinoffs and I think Rosalina's just going to stay in spinoffs. She could've gotten more with Odyssey, according to planned art of her, but she's stuck as some tiny pixel art.
I'm aware that the title and context have perfectly excluded Pauline from this topic.

Well to be fair, Odyssey locates in the city where Pauline belongs to, so I cannot say "she doesn't represent Odyssey". Just this topic is also about promoting some new faces to this franchise.

If Mario Party were a Switch game, a lot of Odyssey characters would be used often. Seriously, Mario Party used the Super Mario 64 enemies a lot, even during the Gamecube games, as you didn't see much of blue Thwomps or Whomps in other games. Even if not, I kind of felt that Mario Party is the best series to offload those characters and repurpose them for something now. Like I guess every playable character has Bonneters (including Mario + Cappy and Peach + Tiara) and then the minigames could be about them using captured enemies/things and then winning it.
Yeah, either Pauline could had been part of the party, or more references and new creatures could had been used for this game. It does feel like Super Mario Party miss some innovation beside its gameplay.

As usual I wholeheartedly support original characters from the RPGs finally being acknowledged in the rest of the franchise. They're simply too well integrated into the plots and worlds of their games for me to see any sense in ignoring that entirely in every other game. That said, I don't believe there's a valid case against any of the characters on this poll. The more the merrier.

i want cappy playable in a spinoff so bad WHY didnt they do it. you have sprixie princess in mario tennis ultra smash WHERES cappy
On the other hand, Sprixie Princess is the only character that hasn't returned for Mario Tennis Aces. Some of the new characters in Tennis Aces are fantastic like Chain Chomp, Fire Piranha Plant, Pauline, Dry Bones, Magikoopa; and lots of returning characters like Koopa, Diddy Kong, Paratroopa, Luma, Birdo, Shy Guy, Petey Piranha (lack of F;y Gu, Wiggler, Baby Mario or Metal Mario is kinda bugger though). It's like they're too scared with following through adding just one character fresh from a new game otherwise destined to be filled with one-offs (though Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy are allowed to have their fair share of their content?).

I really wanted Cappy for Mario Tennis Aces. I mean, we got Rosalina and Luma, Petey Piranha and Bowser Jr., Would Pauline and Cappy be asking too much? I'm still hoping Cappy gets a playable role later on, but we just have to anticipate another Mario sports spinoff or a party game; I think sports is their best bet so that's one reason I really want a new Mario sports game and it feels way overdue.

She's ugly and hairy and fat and filler-ish and the only thing she does well is get tickled.

I know Wario is also big and hairy and fat, but in a good way.
That's the point, huh? But Fillerish? Didn't stop Dry Bones, Dry Bowser, and Baby Rosalina.

I'm aware that the title and context have perfectly excluded Pauline from this topic.
Yeah, but the wording didn't make it 100% clear, but I covered Pauline anyway. I suppose another potential candidate would be Glydon, but I figure it'll end up like Plessie as in, would look nice as a playable character but will probably end up in the dead zone of one-offs. But just imagine playable Glydon. People will really like that.

As usual I wholeheartedly support original characters from the RPGs finally being acknowledged in the rest of the franchise. They're simply too well integrated into the plots and worlds of their games for me to see any sense in ignoring that entirely in every other game. That said, I don't believe there's a valid case against any of the characters on this poll. The more the merrier.
Eh wouldn't being super well-integrated in their worlds actually mean being more awkward to incorporate in other contexts without a clash? If the worlds are designed around them, certainly the worlds in Mario Party and Mario Tennis Aces certainly are less apt to fit them.

In the grand scheme of things I view it all as the same world, which is why I don't like when certain characters have a lot of care put into defining them within the Mario world only for it to go completely ignored by the rest of the franchise.

Dry Bowser looks and sounds badass.

Dry Bones is... a common nemy? I don't see why he can't be here.

Baby Rosalina yeahhh I think I'd take Honey Queen over her probably.

Dry Bowser looks and sounds badass.

Dry Bones is... a common nemy? I don't see why he can't be here.

Baby Rosalina yeahhh I think I'd take Honey Queen over her probably.
I mean H. Queen arguably provides diversity to the line-up being a bee, a gentle giant, and a female character that looks a lot different from the others. I really can't say Dry Bowser and Dry Bones are all that unique, and they seem really simple to put in, being derivatives. Dry Bowser in particular always comes off to me as filler.

Back