Can I ask you possibly my stupidest question yet

Turkish Bottle Thing

King Bowser
Pronouns
He/him
Why is it bad to die?

I mean of course I don't want to, my life is great. But dying isn't exactly a bad thing theoretically speaking? You just turn into absolute nothingness. Why is it bad aside from not wanting to upset your loved ones?

Not sure about how stupid this question is. Just thinking about why it's such a taboo.

I personally don't want to permanently lose consciousness, though that might just be.

Seriously this is one of my biggest fears, the thought that everything will go black and I'll just never have a thought again. I can completely understand why Religion is such an appealing thing to some people, it's pretty much a way for people to justify that everything will be fine once they die.

Death is bad mostly because it's a permanent condition that affects loved ones. I remember my mom telling me that the rites we hold for death such as funerals is mostly for people already living rather than the dead person. Hell, back in March of 2016, many of the regulars on the forum had a firsthand brush of such an experience with Walkazo's passing, and that memory is still incredibly powerful.

Another thing is that we evolved to stay alive rather than recklessly endanger ourselves (why we have fear, why we feel pain, why we have severe emotions built to deal with harsh scenarios), it's part of survival instinct of animals to live and reproduce as well as continue our species' existence.

And, depending on the type of death, it can actually induce a lot of suffering before you die. Types of lethal cancers such as lung cancer is one of the most common and brutal ways to go out that I know of.

When I made that question, I was thinking more about a quick and painless death or very fast suicide rather than lung cancer though.

bad = you desire it not to happen
me: desires life to happen
death: makes life not happen
me: desires not to die
ergo death = bad

Now hold up. We don't turn to nothingness. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, just changed. Not certain what that means for us, no person does.

Now hold up. We don't turn to nothingness. Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, just changed. Not certain what that means for us, no person does.
The brain chemicals and neurotransmitters that make up your consciousness and memories will eventually disperse, though, as your body breaks down into simple matter, and I don't see how they'll come back in the same complex arrangement. Hence I find reincarnation bunk.

I think it's more fear than anything. We don't know what the experience of death is because we're all alive. Some people have near death experiences. Some people have been dead and brought back. But for the most part we're only ever alive until we die.

Even if we cure old aging. Even if we achieve transhumanism. There's still the inevitable heat death of the universe. So. We're going to end. Sometime. All of us.

There's fear of missing out (FOMO). There's fear of being forgotten. There's fear of eternal punishment (hell). It's scary.

I'm going to debunk myself and answer this crap I asked just because I have, what, two minutes of free time I can spend on this.

If you die you won't feel pain, but you won't feel all the pleasures that come with life such as a good game or a girlfriend etc. Also it'd be a huge middle finger to family who has sacrificed themselves for you to live. Also you don't know what happens after you die, so the best thing you can do is to live this one the best as it is the only one you know. Also if idying were to be just as good as living, why not just choose living which is better by letting you feel pleasure anyway. Things you learn here such as history or life lessons you probably won't be able to learn them when you die either. Fin. 10/10.

Back