Super Mario Odyssey 2 (Predictions)

Teedgee

wheres the bathroom
Pronouns
He/Him
MarioWiki
Toadgamer
I know people keep asking for this game which gets tiring, but after Odyssey's major success, I think a sequel is very likely to happen, especially considering galaxy got a sequel three years after it came out. While we still don't know if it'll ever be a thing, I think it would be nice to predict what the game could have.

god i really hope it does happen sometime like you wouldnt believe
either way playable luigi is something i do hope for. hopefully with a new bonneter character just for him! i expect a new lyrical theme or two.. and now that i think about it what if they pop in jump up super star at a later point in the game just as a nice lil throwback
i hope they expand on ruined and cloud kingdom too, they have pretty dam interesting lores but absolutely nothing is done with em due to the kingdoms literally just being boss arenas with barely anything more! what a shame!

Honestly, I think I would prefer a completely different Mario game than a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey. I think Odyssey was a refreshing experience compared to the Mario games released years before that one (the era with too many NSMB, along with 3D Land and 3D World which shares fairly similar gameplay), and I feel a sequel would hurt to what makes Odyssey unique.

If they do a sequel to Odyssey, they better do it better than what Super Mario Galaxy 2 was to Super Mario Galaxy.

Why not make Super Mario Galaxy 3 and Odyssey 2 as a single game? As in, a game that combines mechanics from those games, the planetary gravity from Galaxy and the capture mechanic from Odyssey. Call it Super Mario Galactic Odyssey.

I want to see a new 2D Mario first before we get another sequel to Odyssey, since we hadn't had a new 2D Mario entry since New Super Mario Bros. U (and I don't count Super Mario Maker; people keep thinking that game is a replacement for 2D Mario entries; if it is supposed to be, then Nintendo has officially run out of ideas of how to make a new 2D Mario game as far as I'm concerned). One of the major problems I had with Galaxy 2 was how overly derivative it was of Galaxy to begin with, so ideally, I would rather we NOT see a repeat of a concept of that game again by getting an Odyssey 2. If we were to get an Odyssey 2, it better be more ambitious and unique than a retread of the first one; have something that would distinguish it from the first game, like how Majora's Mask had something that distinguished it from Ocarina of Time. Don't give me the return of the Broodals, don't give me a return of the motor scooter, don't give me the return of the possession of 90% of Odyssey's enemies, don't give me a New Donk City 2.0. That sort of thing.

One of the major problems I had with Galaxy 2 was how overly derivative it was of Galaxy to begin with, so ideally, I would rather we NOT see a repeat of a concept of that game again by getting an Odyssey 2. If we were to get an Odyssey 2, it better be more ambitious and unique than a retread of the first one; have something that would distinguish it from the first game, like how Majora's Mask had something that distinguished it from Ocarina of Time. Don't give me the return of the Broodals, don't give me a return of the motor scooter, don't give me the return of the possession of 90% of Odyssey's enemies, don't give me a New Donk City 2.0. That sort of thing.

I couldn't agree more on this. I would even add NOT doing another "Jump Up, Super Star", it would look forced, and not as good. If there is on thing I dislike with sequels, is when they borrow way too many things from the original or try to recapture the feeling and experience of it.

Last edited:
Why not make Super Mario Galaxy 3 and Odyssey 2 as a single game? As in, a game that combines mechanics from those games, the planetary gravity from Galaxy and the capture mechanic from Odyssey. Call it Super Mario Galactic Odyssey.
It sounds like a good idea on paper but your idea still sounds like Odyssey but with some Galaxy elements. I don't think trying to mash Galaxy and Odyssey will work for either game. Maybe adopt Odyssey's little platforming gauntlets to Galaxy platforming, but I don't see Galaxy's experience of launching through space, visiting small, weird, quirky floating objects, and experiencing panning camera angles of space scenery will quite work with Odyssey's more open-ended style. Bowser Kingdom DOES seem to show some of Galaxy's "travel around stuff", but it's not a coherent kingdom and I think its visuals suffer a bit in the beginning of the stage anyway. I don't want an entire Odyssey game to look like Bowser's Kingdom though.

Galaxy 2, and 1, to an extent has suffered trying to do both open-ended platforming and goal-oriented platforming, so unity, a coherent theme, is paramount to good game design.

Don't give me the return of the Broodals, don't give me a return of the motor scooter, don't give me the return of the possession of 90% of Odyssey's enemies, don't give me a New Donk City 2.0. That sort of thing.
The scooter, actually, I see has potential to be used more. Maybe that one can be developed instead.

I couldn't agree more on this. I would even add NOT doing another "Jump Up, Super Star", it would look forced, and not as good. If there is on thing I dislike with sequels, is when they borrow way too many things to the original or try to recapture to feeling and experience of it.
Yeah if there's another jazzy boppy Pauline song, I'll flip out.

Back