Manufactured controversy sucks

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
Let's face it, the news is the last thing you watch if you want to be put in a good mood, the news isn't there to make you happy or sad or angry, it just exists to tell you what's going on, however, there is sadly stations and publication that are negative on purpose to get money, like real life is just a soap opera and we need a twist, pathetic.

Enter the world of manufactured controversy, basically, it takes a real person and plays them like a puppet and sinks them into despair, it's basically super gaslighting

Why would anyone do this, you wonder?
  1. Money
  2. Revenge
  3. Cover up
  4. All three
Famous people get our interest, it sometimes gets to the point where it's unhealthy, ever heard of the fan girl who knew every detail of how Justin Bieber was born? Yeah, creepy, all people deserve privacy, we can't just make them databases on how humans can mess up, it's not right.

So, you probably are asking for some examples, huh?
  1. One of Micheal Jackson's past accusers' dad was recorded admitted to wanting to use the incident for money, his second accusation had the F.B.I investigate him and found nothing, the current Neverland duo contradict themselves, even making a scenario that flat out couldn't happen due to the location not existing at the time, it also says something that the two are hurting for money and Harvey Winestein made false controversy for MJ in the past and is friends with Oprah
  2. Recently, Amber Herd was recorded admitting to abusing Johnny Depp and saying no one would believe him
  3. There is a lot of rumors of Fred Rogers and Steve Burns being secretly evil or something, only for them to have no truth to them whatsoever, Fox News even called Rogers evil for telling kids they're special, disgusting
I just wanted to get out of my head, I also had this happen to me and my friends experienced it and I'm sick of it, keep searching for the real truth when something seems fishy

Manufactroversies do extend to things that aren't celery-related though, and they have serious consequences for everyone.

CDC "whistleblower" "controversy": been thrown around to try to invoke the idea that CDC willingly covered up evidence of the link between vaccines and autism. A worker from CDC, William Thompson, who was in a phone conversation with Brian Hooker, which Hooker was secretly recording, cracked under pressure (having a history of anxiety problems) to admit he omitted statistically significant information (which concerns a subset of African American boys). Brian Hooker did some god-awful statistical analysis for a DeStefano study (using case control data for a cohort study being the most jaw-droppingly stupid among others) which was published in some obscure open-access journal which got redacted later. It doesn't help Hooker, an anti-vaxxer, has a massive conflict of interest in wanting compensation for a vaccine-injured child. The entire time, the papers can already be viewed in the CDC website and they don't show a relationship between vaccines and autism, even if the whole omitted information was true, since that omitted information applied to only a subset of a population.

Climategate: trotted out by climate change deniers. Basically involved emails obtained illegally and media and deniers quoting scientists out of context. One egregious quote involves some semantic twisting, using a "trick" to hide the "decline". Trick actually refers to a mathematical technique and the decline refers to proxy tree ring data that was inconsistent with recorded data, which was distorted from dated statistical techniques. There's no coverup, the data's there, and all published. But this caused a lot of real damage and this manufactroversy contributed to the public uncertainty over climate change.

When it comes to shows. Jerry Springer uses actors that have scripted fights. I think that they did it while it was still running new episodes to increase ratings.

I don't know if this counts as a manufactured controversy, but I am of the opinion that the controversy of whether pineapple belongs on pizza is manufactured because it doesn't strike me as a serious matter but somehow it's something some people get worked up on. While its motive doesn't seem to be rooted on some material advantage like money, revenge or cover-up (if it were to be obvious), the ongoing debate on this matter makes is pretty successful. Maybe a lot of the time it's treated as a light manner, but if someone even jokingly wants to disassociate with someone of the opposite preference, then it's never really gone away.

Thank you for reading.

I don't know if this counts as a manufactured controversy, but I am of the opinion that the controversy of whether pineapple belongs on pizza is manufactured because it doesn't strike me as a serious matter but somehow it's something some people get worked up on. While its motive doesn't seem to be rooted on some material advantage like money, revenge or cover-up (if it were to be obvious), the ongoing debate on this matter makes is pretty successful. Maybe a lot of the time it's treated as a light manner, but if someone even jokingly wants to disassociate with someone of the opposite preference, then it's never really gone away.

Thank you for reading.

Pineapple on pizza is like, idk, a no-brainer combo (combining sweet with salty) and it's not too unfamiliar with how Asians fuse their food together generally speaking (hell, that's where the originator of the Haiwaiian pizza claimed to get inspiration from, Chinese dishes). If people get grossed out over that, they really haven't explored foods in general as far as I'm concerned.

People should read about all the other bizarre stuff people put in their pizzas in other countries by the way, it's really fascinating what different toppings they use for their own takes on the similar recipe.

Did I make a unpopular food combination topic by accident?
I guess I might be responsible for doing it since I was the one who brought up this one after all.

Don't worry about it. I have had topics where the conversation had been steered to another direction, but I have learned to take it with stride.

Thank you for reading.

Back