Does it bother you that the Koopalings do not appear together?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
In the Super Mario games, the Koopalings consist of 7 uniquely-designed Koopas that often act as minibosses for each area, starting from Super Mario Bros. 3 in which they are the ones who cursed 7 different kings in 7 different kingdoms. Since then, whenever the Koopalings appear, they never missed out a unit, so for example, in Super Mario World and Yoshi's Safari, they all appear as minibosses. Some games made them all playable so nobody gets left out, as Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. had done.

In recent times though, not all the Koopalings appear or are given the same treatment. For example, in Mario & Sonic 2016 Rio Olympic Games, the only ones that are absent are Lemmy, Morton and Iggy, while Ludwig and Roy are absent in the Wii U version. Dr Mario World is another game where the Koopalings are not treated equally, as only Wendy and Ludwig are available! Seems like Wendy is the one that's treated the best of the Koopalings, based on how often she appeared when Koopalings are involved.

It would be easy to treat the Koopalings as inseparable, but in recent times there is the idea to prioritise one over the other, which might be a challenging prospect for some. Personally I am not that bothered because I am not that attached to the Koopalings being together.

What do you think of the fact that not all Koopalings get representation?

Thank you for reading.

I feel that the Koopalings are an inseparable team of troublemakers. Either have them all, or have them not. Definitely not a fan of how Iggy, my favorite Koopaling, has been shafted time and time again (only fought once in Paper Jam while all the others are fought twice, not playable in M&S Rio, not a doctor in Dr. Mario World). If Wendy is treated the best, Iggy is treated the worst for sure...even if his battles are some of the best in the franchise.

i even dislike more how wendy is treated the best she's easily my least favorite koopaling

yeah it annoys me. i kinda feel either have all the koopalings, which is overkill for a lot of rosters, or none at all
wheres my lemmy appreciation >: (

Yes, it really annoys me. Even if they can't all be playable, they should at least bring the other ones along as non-playable characters or something, and give them some suitably Marioy excuse as to why they're not doing whatever it is. Roy's my favourite and he seems to be one of the less popular ones (I know he's not the least used, I really don't see what they've got against Lemmy, Morton and Iggy), so it's always a shame for me when he's missing.

I would be bothered if Wendy was left out, but they always include her so I'm happy.

(basically I'm the opposite of BabyLuigiOnFire, Wendy is the one that I like the most)

They are an all or none package for me.

The Koopalings do work best when all their members are here. They base their identity on being a bunch of similar minibosses with their own variations and to leave them out is always going to detract from that identity. Most people that like the Koopalings like them because they're a group of siblings that leave it ripe for all sorts of interactions. They just can't do much on their own.

The problem with Koopalings is just how numerous they are. They work best as a complete package but at the same time they easily saturate the roster if they become playable. This leads to developers being choosy whom to include or not. I think they choose Wendy because she's unfortunately the token girl of the group who has little else going for her besides being a girl. Ludwig is another frequent choice because he's the oldest of the Koopalings. Larry is IMO the blandest but I see him also get chosen a bit because he's the youngest. The rest just don't have much of a priority compared to those three even though they all have their unique perks (though Iggy had to get a redesign because he was way too similar to Lemmy but he could've worked as a twin too...).

I wanted to point out that Iggy is the Koopaling I like the most, but despite him being shafted the most, it didn't really bother me that Koopalings are not wholly represented. I suppose I don't view Koopalings in high regard as much as other people.

Thank you for reading.

Back