Alex95's Top 150 Games (is now a review thread)

I think the 3DS remake flopped for being on a dead platform not because it was bad. I've not played it myself yet but it looks pretty epic. Either way the DS version is awesome and I really look forward to the remake

Game itself I'm sure is fine, but it was a dying console + reused graphics that don't convey the same experience + skipping Partners in Time + original game can already be played on the same system + Alphadream struggling to stay in business = one terribly timed and poorly received remake

Have you played the 3DS remake?

Another thing I'd like to give my two cents on is that Mario Maker series, as much as I love the Wii U version (don't have the others) it has a lot of restrictions which can get in the way and stuff that's missing from the original levels: Acorn Suit, Ice Flower, Mini Mushroom, limits on Warp Pipes, Doors, and length of the level which significantly get in the way of my creating the levels of my dreams.

I mean your opinion's your opinion and maybe this didn't bother you, but maybe it's something to consider

Have you played the 3DS remake?
I have not, which is why I'm not taking it into account. The information I have is based on community reception.

Another thing I'd like to give my two cents on is that Mario Maker series, as much as I love the Wii U version (don't have the others) it has a lot of restrictions which can get in the way and stuff that's missing from the original levels: Acorn Suit, Ice Flower, Mini Mushroom, limits on Warp Pipes, Doors, and length of the level which significantly get in the way of my creating the levels of my dreams.

Of course a level editor is going to have limits. We may not have everything, but there is a darned lot of things to work with, that even within the restrictions of level size and transports, the quality of levels are limitless.

The Top 10 is my gift to you!
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Top150-137.jpg
Behold! The biggest adventure I've ever gone through on the Nintendo DS! Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies is an absolutely massive game on a little system. A story that feels like it will never end, hundreds of side-quests, character model changing armor, and the familiar hilarity of the Dragon Quest series. As far as DS games go, the graphics are pretty good, too, even having some anime cutscenes. The absolute best part about this whole game has to be the multiplayer. My brothers and I spent days together walking around in this world, helping each other progress through the story. It's something I haven't seen a main Dragon Quest title do since (not counting the MMO Dragon Quest X). Multiplayer is kind of limited, as only the world host can open treasure chests and activate cutscenes, so every time we did something in one world, we crossed over to another to do the same thing again. And it was an absolute blast. Would love to see this game remastered on Switch.
PROS
CONS
Plenty of content with no dull momentsQuester's Rest progression is never going to be finished in this day
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Top150-137.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was one of two Zelda games that started the series off for me, the other being the original The Legend of Zelda. It was everything a kid enjoyed: Pirates, swords, and adventure. That was all we needed. I was not allowed to play this game at first, I had to watch my dad play it because my mom thought it was "too violent". But once I was able to play the game myself, I was hooked. Sneaking around the Forsaken Fortress, navigating the volcanic Dragon Roost, sailing the Great Sea, revealing the Tower of the Gods... It's an absolutely incredible adventure.

The game gets even better with the HD remaster on Wii U. Graphics are beautifully enhanced, sailing is faster, and combat is smoother. Tingle Tuner was fun to use in the original game, being replaced with the now-useless Tingle Bottles in the Wii U version. The sailing seems to be a point of contention between Zelda fans, but I never had a problem with it.
PROSCONS
A hilarious and grand adventure with plenty of secrets to findTriforce Shard quest is tedious on GameCube, but felt short on Wii U. I don't think there is a good way to handle that the way they wanted it to happen.
Fantastic and memorable music
Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS
Top150-137.jpg

*record scratch* Wait, what? I have said time and time again that Super Mario 64 is my absolute favorite game of all time. It is the game that started it all for me, the game that introduced me to video games and the Nintendo world. I even have it listed as my favorite game on my Mario Wiki userpage. What is it doing here in #8?

Yeah, turns out Super Mario 64 is not the greatest game in the world. Still a great game, but not the best. Setting nostalgia aside, it didn't quite make it to the number 1 spot, or even the Top 5. But even without the rose-tinted glasses, the game is still a joy to explore. 15 colorful and expansive worlds, each with 7 Power Stars to collect, plenty of challenges to overcome, and some nice music to boot. The controls can be a bit clunky compared to later titles, especially with the camera. But the game did so well that it solidified what 3D gaming is for all future titles to come in Nintendo's series.

Super Mario 64 DS improves on some points, falls flat on others. The directional pad doesn't work too well in a 3D environment, and the use of a run button in a 3D game is awkward (a point that also applies to 3D Land and 3D World). I like having more characters to choose from, Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario all bring different skills to the game. But the method of switching between them is either you are Yoshi or tedious back-and-forth. The graphics are nicer, there are more Power Stars to collect, and with that comes additional levels. Overall, the DS remake evens out to the same as the N64 original.
PROSCONS
N64: Plenty of open worlds with memorable music and challenges to completeCamera control
DS: More characters to use and more challenges to solveCharacter switching is annoying
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3D)
Top150-137.jpg

When it comes to the two N64 giants, I have to say I enjoyed Super Mario 64 more than The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Mario's athleticism allowed for a different kind of exploration than Link's arsenal. Both games are very good, filled with puzzles to solve, dungeons to explore, and people to meet. Zelda's story definitely had a hand over Mario's (because there isn't really one for Mario), but Zelda's controls, clunky menus, and confusing navigation in some cases puts it behind Super Mario 64. Maybe even behind the original Majora's Mask.

The 3DS remake fixed all of that. The controls are smoother, the menus are nicer, navigation is easier, and it has overhauled graphics and content to boot. Just the N64 original alone would've put it behind Super Mario 64 somewhere, but the 3DS remake is far superior from the original. Iron Boots are easier to use, Water Temple navigation is clearer, animations are nicer, and it has the Master Quest from the GameCube version of Ocarina of Time available to unlock! And again, I'm a sucker for time travel.

But there's still no camera control!
PROSCONS
N64: Great story with plenty of dungeons that make use of the new 3D worldLack of camera control
3DS: Improved graphics and navigation, and a whole other game availableLack of camera control
Super Mario Galaxy
Top150-137.jpg

Mario really went all out for Super Mario Galaxy. He went to the stars and beyond, exploring planets with never before seen environments, challenges, and characters. The game looks beautiful, controls really well, and the sound design is just incredible. Much of what I said about this game I've already said for Super Mario Galaxy 2, but the level of exploration is far better to me in the first game. And I don't mean just the planets, the power-ups are neat, and some didn't make it into the sequel. Rosalina is also a very well developed character, having a wonderful home that acts as the hub world and a mysterious backstory that is ultimately contradicted by a certain racer baby.

Super Mario Galaxy isn't just my favorite 3D Mario platformer, it's my favorite platformer in general. But maybe Super Mario Odyssey will change that...?
PROSCONS
Fantastic graphics, music, and locationsGravity sometimes confuses the control stick on round planets
Rosalina is a fantastic character and the Comet Observatory is a great hub world

There's just five games left! What games do you think you'll see make the Top 5?

This Long Journey's End that started back on September 20, 2019 will soon end on April 10, 2020. Yes, the wiki link leads to an SMO article, I couldn't help myself.

Anyways. SMG is one of the best Mario platformers. Along with SM64. And I would say Odyssey too since I played it on a Nintendo Switch console that I don't own, but a relative does.

honestly dude i really thought you were gonna put sm64 on top. this is like super tense

yeah when we're done, can we just have a numerical list, like for me it would be in the form:

15. super mario 64
14. super mario 3d land
13. mario party 9
12. donkey kong country returns
11. lego indiana jones 2
10. super mario 3d world
9. super mario maker 1
8. super mario galaxy 2
7. super mario galaxy 1
6. minecraft
5. mario and luigi superstar saga
4. mario and luigi bowsers inside story
3. paper mario 64
2. paper mario the thousand year door
1. super paper mario

I was going to post the full numerical list the Friday after next, but I can do it now :P

6​
Super Mario Galaxy
7​
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3D)
8​
Super Mario 64 / DS
9​
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN / HD)
10​
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
11​
Fire Emblem Awakening
12​
Super Mario Maker
13​
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
14​
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
15​
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
16​
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES / SNES / GBA)
17​
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3D)
18​
Metroid Prime
19​
The Legend of Zelda
20​
Project X Zone 2
21​
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
22​
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
23​
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
24​
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
25​
Metroid: Samus Returns
26​
Super Mario World
27​
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
28​
Super Mario Galaxy 2
29​
Soul Calibur II
30​
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
31​
Super Paper Mario
32​
Mario Kart Wii
33​
Luigi's Mansion
34​
Super Smash Bros. Melee
35​
Donkey Kong Country Returns
36​
Portal II
37​
Star Wars: Battlefront II
38​
Mario Party 6
39​
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
40​
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
41​
Super Mario 3D Land
42​
Fire Emblem
43​
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
44​
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
45​
Kirby Air Ride
46​
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
47​
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
48​
Super Mario Sunshine
49​
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
50​
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
51​
Mario & Luigi: Partner's in Time
52​
Mario Party 8
53​
Super Mario Bros.
54​
Final Fantasy X
55​
Mario Party 5
56​
Hyrule Warriors
57​
Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
58​
Ape Escape 2
59​
Pokémon Omega Ruby
60​
Mario Kart 8
61​
WarioWare Inc.: Mega Party Game$!
62​
F-Zero GX
63​
New Super Mario Bros.
64​
Mario Kart 7
65​
Lego series
66​
Kingdom Hearts series
67​
Xenoblade Chronicles X
68​
Mario Sports Mix
69​
Final Fantasy VIII
70​
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
71​
Wario World
72​
Fuzion Frenzy
73​
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
74​
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
75​
Star Wars: Episode I Racer
76​
Mario Party 7
77​
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
78​
Street Fighter II Turbo
79​
Nintendo Land
80​
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
81​
Portal
82​
NES Remix / 2
83​
Pokémon Yellow
84​
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
85​
Mario Super Sluggers
86​
Soul Calibur V
87​
Golden Sun
88​
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
89​
Chip's Challenge
90​
Pokémon Colosseum
91​
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
92​
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
93​
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
94​
Rage of Mages
95​
Mario Kart 64
96​
New Super Mario Bros. U
97​
Super Princess Peach
98​
Mario Tennis (N64)
99​
Codename S.T.E.A.M.
100​
Fortune Street
101​
Fire Emblem Heroes
102​
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
103​
Pokken Tournament
104​
Super Mario 3D World
105​
Super Mario Strikers
106​
New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
107​
Tomb Raider series
108​
Mario Power Tennis
109​
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
110​
Fire Emblem Fates
111​
Kid Icarus
112​
Mickey's Speedway USA (N64)
113​
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
114​
Halo series
115​
Pokémon Y
116​
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
117​
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
118​
Paper Mario
119​
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
120​
Star Fox 64
121​
Mario Sports Superstars
122​
Sword of Mana
123​
Wii Sports / Resort
124​
Punch-Out!!
125​
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
126​
Wii Fit / Plus
127​
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES / SNES)
128​
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
129​
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
130​
Power Master 1: A Strange Journey
131​
Super Smash Bros.
132​
Super Mario Land
133​
Speed Racer: The Videogame
134​
Pokémon Stadium / 2
135​
Mario Party DS
136​
Teen Titans (GBA)
137​
Guitar Hero series
138​
Box Boy!
139​
Detective Pikachu
140​
Excitebike 64
141​
Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix
142​
Metroid: Other M
143​
Frogger
144​
Pitfall
145​
Donkey Kong
146​
Battalion Wars 2
147​
Super Mario Kart
148​
PAC-MAN
149​
Tetris
150​
Dig Dug
151​
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
152​
Yoshi's Woolly World
153​
Kirby's Epic Yarn
154​
Mario Party: Star Rush
155​
Tonic Trouble
156​
Metroid
157​
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
158​
Wii series (that aren't Sports or Fit)
159​
Spider-Man (GCN)
160​
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
161​
Metroid II: Return of Samus
162​
Super Mario Run
163​
Mario Kart Tour
164​
Ice Climber
165​
Star Fox Guard
166​
Dr. Mario World
167​
Dr. Mario (NES / GB)
168​
Kirby Star Stacker
169​
Pokémon Snap
170​
Mini Mario & Friends: amiibo Challenge
171​
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
172​
Mario Golf (GBC)
173​
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
174​
Mario Party 10
175​
Excite Bike: World Rally
176​
Superman (N64)
177​
Hey You! Pikachu
178​
Pokémon Rumble World
179​
Pokémon Shuffle
180​
E.T. The Extraterrestrial

Feel free to bash my opinions.

right imma make a prediction

paper mario the thousand year door. liking super paper mario more than that is an unpopular opinion enough. but not only that but to have spm 30th and pm64 118th and paper mario sticker star 160th, and not to have ttyd at all seems unlikely. and yeah i know youve played the game since you said so on your mariowiki userpage.

i dont think youre the kind of dude to put it 1st or second so probably 4th or 5th.

Your top 5 contains Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Zelda: Twilight Princess. If everything you have said in this thread and your userpages is accurate and complete, there are no other games left.

As for how I think you'd rank them:

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Twilight Princess
3. The Thousand-Year Door
4. Path of Radiance
5. Kid Icarus: Uprising

Last edited:
Your top 5 contains Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, and Zelda: Twilight Princess. If everything you have said in this thread and your userpages is accurate and complete, there are no other games left.

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Twilight Princess
4. Path of Radiance
5. Partners in Time
well predicted, that sounds pretty good

Wait a second I didn't see Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. And I know you really like it. If so, I can safely assume it made the top 5, right?

And if so, then, you good sir, are a man of culture! Although I'm still curious to see what's there alongside it... if I'm right of course.

Your top 5 contains Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, and Zelda: Twilight Princess. If everything you have said in this thread and your userpages is accurate and complete, there are no other games left.

1. Smash Ultimate
2. Twilight Princess
4. Path of Radiance
5. Partners in Time

Partners in Time is #51: https://www.marioboards.com/threads/41538/page-2#post-2123870

Whoops, guess I missed that (that apostrophe ruined my ctrl+f). I hadn't seen you talk about it much so it surprised me when I didn't see it on the list.

On a side note, I looked at your Icaruspedia userpage and it said that you'd played and beaten both Kid Icarus 2 and 3, but neither one appears on the list yet and there seems to only be room for one (and I think I know which one it is). Why is that?

Last edited:
Alright guys, this is it. The Top 5. Were your guesses correct? What games do I consider the best of the best?

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Top150-137.jpg
The Fire Emblem series is all about the characters and the story. Game play is usually kept simple, with content being pretty straightforward. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is my absolute favorite in the series, handling all of its content with such professionalism that I have yet to see from another game in its series (haven't played Three Houses yet). The character design is just incredible, and I mean everything about the characters. From their looks to their personality to their background. There is no character I didn't enjoy seeing on screen, with Ike's interactions with his initial Greil Mercenaries troop being the most solid. Once Ike takes control of the group, that's when the game really picks up. Support conversations are amusing, and there are even extra conversations that happen when certain criteria is met in the base. Path of Radiance also introduces full-motion cutscenes to the series.

The story is a perfect mix of reunion, revenge, and reluctance (spoilers ahead, btw). After finding a woman named Elincia unconscious in a field, the Greil Mercenaries get wrapped up in protecting her from invading forces, as it is quickly revealed she is the princess of the nation Crimea, with Daein invading. As they are traveling to get Elincia back home, Ike and his father, Greil, encounter a character named the Black Knight, who challenges Greil to a battle. Greil loses, and Ike is now set on a personal journey to avenge his father. In the midst of this, Ike learns of the Laguz nation of Gallia, which are people capable of transforming into cats or tigers, and their distaste of the human race, which are called Beorc.

The game play of Path of Radiance is not all that different from past titles, and the content is pretty simple. But it is an enjoyable story with enjoyable characters. The story continues with Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.
PROS
CONS
Well designed characters with great personalitiesNot a lot of extra content, being just side map challenges and playable bosses
Fantastic story and soundtrack
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Top150-137.jpg

When you ask a group of Paper Mario fans what their favorite Paper Mario title is, a majority will answer Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. And if you play it, it is easy to see why. The game play is diverse, the story is engaging, and the characters are amusing. Coming off of the original Paper Mario, The Thousand-Year Door takes literally everything about it and improves upon it. Partners show off new skills, from holding Koops's shell in place to throwing Bobbery up on ledges. Battles are solid, with plenty of stuff going on to keep your on your toes, and new skills help make up new strategies against the toughest bosses. Stage hazards can happen at any moment, and a bingo roulette can either save your life or ruin it. Mario, as usual, is not much of a talker, but the way the characters interact with him and with each other is beautifully handled, making up some of the best dialogue I've seen in the series.

The story is pretty simple, but it takes Mario on a grand adventure (more spoilers). A group named the X-Nauts are searching for magical objects known as Crystal Stars, wanting to open a large door, the titular Thousand-Year Door, underneath the main hub of Rogueport to gain the power sleeping within. The Crystal Stars are spread out and project by strong bosses. Most bosses in the game aren't just there at the end of a dungeon to act as a final challenge, some, like Grubba, are with Mario throughout the chapter segment, while others, like Doopliss, frequently taunt Mario throughout the game after meeting them. After every chapter, you also gain control of Princess Peach and Bowser, showing their side of the story.

The graphics, eh, not the best on the GameCube. Later Paper Mario titles far outdo it. But the way the characters are handled is incredible to me. Every character is in pieces, being put together by an internal script, giving off wonderful illusions that everything actually is made out of paper when it moves. Fans of Sticker Star will usually call fans of Thousand-Year Door "nostalgia blind" (which I've been called on a few occasions), but that's fine. I'll just be over here, enjoying the fun game play and actually existing story.
PROSCONS
Fun story filled with hilarious characters and plenty of extra contentHappy Lucky Lottery is a scam
Memorable soundtrack with beautiful locationsGeneral White story-quest is annoying
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN / Wii / HD)
Top150-137.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had a lot to prove. After working with the cartoony style of The Wind Waker for a few years, fans wanted Nintendo to return to a more realistic Zelda game similar to Ocarina of Time. The end result was a darker world, literally. The Twilight Realm had invaded Hyrule, turning its inhabitants into spirits, with Princess Zelda at the forefront. New enemy, Zant, leads the army of Twilight in hopes of taking control of the world of light. Each region has a powerful spirit, which all but one has been sapped of power. In this remaining region, the Ordon Province, rests Link, a simple goat farmer who is unaware of the entire situation.

After an introductory segment showing how to ride a horse, catch a fish, spend rupees, and please demanding children, said children go after a monkey and Link has to save them. The next day, monsters invade the Ordon Spring, knocking out Link and his friends and kidnapping all of them but Link because plot armor. Link goes to save them, but encounters a wall of twilight that wasn't there yesterday and gets dragged in. Here, his body transforms into a wolf due to the power of the Triforce protecting him from becoming a full spirit. He gets dragged into a cell, where he meets the Twili imp, Midna. Midna is my favorite character in the series, aside from Link himself. I love her character progression, going from initially being way too hard and rude on Link to becoming mellow and actually decent. She didn't have high hopes for Link at first, but after gathering the three pieces of the Fused Shadow (just general spoiler warning for this entire post, I guess) and encountering the broken Mirror of Twilight, she finds Link is willing to do whatever it takes to save his friends and the two worlds of Hyrule and Twilight.

Twilight Princess was initially meant for the GameCube, but was soon moved to the Wii with the GameCube release being a month later. We started off with the GameCube version, as we didn't have a Wii at the time. The game was also ported to the Wii U in 2015. Between them all, I have to say the GameCube is the best version. The controls work very well, and I'd much rather button presses to Remote waggling. The Wii version is horizontally flipped, resulting in Link being right-handed and in a mirror world, so it sort of acts as a Second Quest. The Wii U version is the GameCube release, but graphically enhanced and... that's really it. You have a new amiibo dungeon to go along with the bundled Wolf Link amiibo, and stamps that no longer work. The graphics on the Wii U have noticeable mistakes I didn't see on the other versions, and the game actually lags at a few points when you are playing on the Gamepad.
PROSCONS
Plenty of content in a large worldWii U version is sloppily handled
Beautiful graphics and soundtrackZant starts off pretty cool, but then his character feels lazily near the end of the game
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Top150-137.jpg

It's been over two decades since the last Kid Icarus game, Of Myths and Monsters (which I completely forgot to add to this list...), was released. Fans of the series have been wanting another game for years, and Kid Icarus: Uprising finally dropped in March of 2012 for the Nintendo 3DS. Developed by Kirby and Smash Bros. creator, Masahiro Sakurai, this game is freaking incredible. There is so, so, SO much packed into this game, that if it wasn't for the graphics, it could be easily mistaken as a home console title (but the graphics look amazing for the 3DS).

The game doesn't play at all like its predecessors, however. Uprising makes full use of the 3D environment (and 3D function), Pit is no longer bound to just up, down, left, and right. Pit and Palutena use their designs from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which graphical enhancements, and literally every character from the original NES game gets the same treatment. There are absolutely no references to Of Myths and Monsters anywhere, but that's understandable, considering the game didn't release in Japan until after Uprising did through the eShop. The game's chapters are separated into three segments: Flight, Land, and Boss, usually in that order. Pit takes a whole arsenal of weapons with him, ranging from his usual bow to monstrous clubs to arm cannons, and has access to magical powers he can call upon. Pit handles beautifully in the air, but land control takes some time to get used to. The Circle Pad's sensitivity causes Pit to dash a lot, and with Pit's new stamina limit, you will meet that limit more often than not or end up accidentally dashing off a ledge.

Uprising truly shines with its characters. The game is fully voiced, and the characters are constantly talking to each other. Pit communes with the many gods and goddesses through telepathy, which is something the one human character in the game, Magnus, pokes fun at. The characters constantly break the fourth wall, often recalling the original game (literally noting they are in a game on a few occasions) or calling out references to other Nintendo titles. The game is chock-full of content, with plenty of challenges to accomplish and weapons to collect. And when you think the game is over, boom, you will find you've only completed a third of it. For a while now, this was my favorite game to play, I kept coming back to it until my 3DS's Circle Pad broke and could no longer properly play it (I really need to get that fixed...). But a new game came out recently that has surpassed it...
PROSCONS
Plenty of content with plenty of bantering charactersGround controls are a little finicky and take some time to get used to
Beautiful graphics and soundtrack
Story is full of twists and surprises, and locations are full of secrets
Alright, I'll admit something here. When I was making this list, I didn't actually own this game yet. I had played it a few times at a group gathering or with a friend, but I didn't have it in my home for myself.

But I didn't need to. Just simply knowing about the content in this game is exciting. Plenty of characters, plenty of stages, and miracles in the world of gaming that nobody thought was possible. I wanted this game more than any other for years, no other game made me want to get a Nintendo Switch so badly. Everyone was playing it, and I wanted to play with them. This is...
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
SSBU_Character_Select_DLC.jpeg
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

From the moment that trailer appeared at E3 2018, showcasing literally everyone from past installments was returning, I knew this was going to be a great game.
I was having fun just thinking about this game before I ever got a chance to play it. Just look at that roster! Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Sonic the Hedgehog, Metal Gear, Mega Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Bayonetta, Castlevania, Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie, Fatal Fury, and many many more... This is the ultimate collection of characters, and it's still not done! We have six more characters coming in the future, with an ARMS rep coming in June! So many legal hoops to jump through, that even Sakurai thinks a roster this size will not happen again should Smash continue to a new installment. Returning stages are also beautifully revamped, and the introduction of a Battlefield variant is something I specifically requested in mid-2018.

Aside from the characters and stages, the rest of the content is pretty impressive, though not without its faults. I really like how every character has their own route in Classic Mode, but I wish the difficulty setting was like how it was in any of the other installments. World of Light is the game's new adventure mode, and it gave me hours of enjoyment, but Brawl's Subspace Emissary is definitely far better in terms of levels, character interaction, and cutscenes. Spirits are pretty neat, being more useful than trophies and allowing for more space for more representatives, but the lack of character bios are certainly underwhelming.

No game is perfect. You can try, you can shove as much content into it as you want. But space limits is a factor that will ultimately decide how to go through with your ideas. But Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is as close as it is going to get. It is absolutely incredible that this game even exists the way that it does. After being a celebration of Nintendo for the first two installments, breaking limits by letting Mario and Sonic punch each other in Brawl, introducing Cloud with Square Enix's odd legal issues in Smash 4, and now this. Smash Bros. isn't just a celebration of Nintendo, it's a celebration of video games as a whole. Ultimate has brought it just about every company and game series that wants to be a part of this, with the spirits containing even more IPs than the roster. But through it all, Smash Bros. Ultimate remains how it was from the start of the series: a fun game to play with your family and friends with an exciting all-star cast.
PROSCONS
So many characters, stages, and soundtracksClassic mode's difficulty setting is odd
World of Light is a fun exploration with large maps and puzzles......but is really just Event Mode with a map
It's a miracle that this game even exists the way that it does

And that is it! My Top 150 Games! I hope you enjoyed reading, and thanks for taking the time to do so, even if you just skimmed through and read just the game title :)

But we're not done yet! Well, this list is, but the games themselves are not. Video games will continue for years to come, there is always something new just around the corner. The list will always be expanding. There may be another game that takes the number one spot, and I'm looking forward to it, and what video games have to offer us for years to come.

How about you? What game do you consider to be the best of the best?

this was a great ending to your top 150 thread @Alex95 ! im not really familiar with these apart from ttyd (a masterpiece) and smash ultimate (which, i may not be a smash fan at least not yet but it seems a very well made game) but you did well to explain why you liked these games. this thread has been really fun to watch

@YoshiFlutterJump well done on predicting the five games with near perfect order

i do already have my TheTopTens list but imma do a top 15 thread in this style starting next friday since i think its good and it would be cool to try it. i might copy parts of the text explanations from my existing list tho

since its already publicly known, i will post my top 15 vgs here, but behind a spoiler tag for those who would rather wait

15. super mario 64
14. super mario 3d land
13. mario party 9
12. donkey kong country returns / 3d
11. lego indiana jones 2: the adventure continues
10. super mario 3d world
9. super mario maker (wii u version)
8. super mario galaxy 2
7. super mario galaxy 1.
6. minecraft
5. mario & luigi: superstar saga
4. mario & luigi: bowser's inside story
3. paper mario 64
2. paper mario: the thousand-year door
1. super paper mario

It's so nice to see my favorite game in the top 5, and coincidentally right above Mario Galaxy! The cast really feels like one of the best ones in any FE game and it has a lot of diversity, but what really sells this game to me is the addition of the base. It's a brilliant mechanic that I honestly would liketo see more of. It allows you to freely manage your units at your leisure, visit the shop, armory, and the forge, another amazing addition, all this and it also finds a way to give screentime to characters you'd otherwise only get to see during support conversations. It seems we both share the same interests when it comes to FE, do we?

But wait, there's more! Decided to separate the list into specific Top 10s.

Overall rankList rankingGame
14Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
26Super Mario Galaxy
38Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS
412Super Mario Maker series
513Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
614New Super Mario Bros. Wii
716Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES)
826Super Mario World
928Super Mario Galaxy 2
1031Super Paper Mario
13The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GameCube)
27The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
39The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker / The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
415The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
517The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
619The Legend of Zelda
724The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
839The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
947The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
1049The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
15Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
211Fire Emblem: Awakening
330Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
442Fire Emblem
5101Fire Emblem Heroes
6110Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
118Metroid Prime
225Metroid: Samus Returns
327Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
470Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
5142Metroid: Other M
6156Metroid
7161Metroid II: Return of Samus
11Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
220Project X Zone 2
323Super Smash Bros. Brawl
429Soul Calibur II
534Super Smash Bros. Melee
650Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
766Kingdom Hearts series
868Mario Sports Mix
977Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
1079Nintendo Land
119The Legend of Zelda
253Super Mario Bros.*
382NES Remix / NES Remix 2 (I say that counts)
492Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
5111Kid Icarus
6145Donkey Kong
7149Tetris
8151Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
9156Metroid
10164Ice Climber
*Super Mario Bros. is greatly improved in Super Mario All-Stars, but the original version is still just as good and a timeless classic.
183Pokemon Yellow Version
2116Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
3129Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
4132Super Mario Land
5149Tetris
6161Metroid II: Return of Samus
7167Dr. Mario
8168Kirby Star Stacker
9172Mario Golf
115The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
216Super Mario Bros. 3 (Super Mario All-Stars)
326Super Mario World
453Super Mario Bros. (Super Mario All-Stars)
578Street Fighter II Turbo
6127Super Mario Bros. 2 (Super Mario All-Stars)
7147Super Mario Kart
8151Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Super Mario All-Stars)
18Super Mario 64
275Star Wars: Episode I Racer
395Mario Kart 64
498Mario Tennis
5112Mickey's Speedway USA
6118Paper Mario
7119Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
8120Star Fox 64
9131Super Smash Bros.
10134Pokemon Stadium / Pokemon Stadium 2
*I only counted Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as their 3D remake.
130Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
242Fire Emblem
374Mario vs. Donkey Kong
487GoldenSun
5122Sword of Mana
6136Teen Titans
7157The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
13The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
24Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
35Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
49The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
518Metroid Prime
627Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
729Soul Calibur II
833Luigi's Mansion
934Super Smash Bros. Melee
1038Mario Party 6
110Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
213Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
351Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
457Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
563New Super Mario Bros.
673Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
784The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
897Super Princess Peach
9102The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
10135Mario Party DS
16Super Mario Galaxy
214New Super Mario Bros. Wii
323Super Smash Bros. Brawl
428Super Mario Galaxy 2
531Super Paper Mario
632Mario Kart Wii
735Donkey Kong Country Returns
839The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
952Mario Party 8
1065LEGO series of games we have on Wii
12Kid Icarus: Uprising
27The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
311Fire Emblem Awakening
417The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
520Project X Zone 2
624The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
725Metroid: Samus Returns
841Super Mario 3D Land
943Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
1044Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
19The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
221Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
349The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
456Hyrule Warriors
560Mario Kart 8
667Xenoblade Chronicles X
777Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
879Nintendo Land
996New Super Mario Bros. U
10103Pokken Tournament
11Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
After making this list, I have gotten Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Maker 2 and am having a lot of fun with them. Super Mario Maker 2 is pretty much the same as the first Super Mario Maker, so it was able to be ranked alongside it as the collective "Super Mario Maker series". Super Mario Odyssey I'm still enjoying, though I have to say I like SM64's or SMG's level progression more. Maybe I'll say more about the Switch games I get later.

Back