Alex95's Top 150 Games (is now a review thread)

Yesterday was busy. I'm still busy. Send help.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Top150-137.jpg
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! gave us what is possibly the most interesting new mechanic in the Mario Kart series: Being able to use two characters at once. While the core game play is mostly unaffected, you still get two items to carry and a kart to drive, being able to put Mario and Bowser or Koopa Troopa and Toad in the same vehicle is a humorous feeling. This also means two players can ride the same kart, the front player takes control of the wheel while the back player handles the items, and the two can switch at any time with a simultaneous press of the Z Buttons. This also allows for 16 players to play together through the GameCube's LAN adapters.

In all honesty, this is my favorite Mario Kart game to control. Something about the way the vehicles are controlled just feel right. The race tracks are also fairly well made with catchy music to go along them, and the racer and kart line-ups are pretty solid, including some characters that have yet to return. It is just outdone by later Mario Kart games in terms of visuals and content. Even so, Double Dash is a unique game in the series that is worth coming back to.

Those of you that pre-ordered the game back in 2003 (or got lucky on eBay) obtained a special bonus disc that came with it. The disc included playable demos and videos to watch of upcoming games, as well as special items you can transfer to Fire Emblem.
PROS
CONS
Varied races courses with catchy musicVisuals are nice for the GameCube era, but don't really stand well today
All-Cup Tour is a fun addition to the game......but is absolutely killer to fight through on higher difficulties
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Top150-137.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is one of those games that split the fanbase back in the day. You either loved it or you hated it. The new motion controls that allowed you to control Link's sword with accurate movement through the Wii Motion Plus sounds like fun, but many complained it took away from traditional Zelda game play even though it... kind of didn't? The sword movements feel pretty natural, and you only have to recalibrate the Motion Plus several times throughout the game. Link's items are also created with the Motion Plus in mind, including the flying Beetle, the rolling Bombs, and the swinging Whip, though series mainstays like the Boomerang or a magical item are missing.

Much of Skyward Sword deviated from the regular Zelda-ness, actually. Skyloft is visited frequently to either progress the story or improve your items. It sort of acts as a central hub world, which Zelda doesn't really do. Your shields take damage the more you use them, so unless you use a special potion to reinforce them or have the Hylian Shield, you'll be going back to the Bazaar a lot. The upgrades are created through the materials you find in the land below, which would be too bad if you didn't have to learn about them for the first time you collect them every time you turn the game back on.

The story is also something that splits the fanbase. The story itself it usually praised by most fans, being that this scenario takes place well before Ocarina of Time and sets the stage for things to come, Zelda is captured and sucked into the land below and you have to go find her while confronting the mysterious Ghirahim, and your sword is alive. But the progression through the story is a splitting point, being that your sword spirit, Fi, takes every chance she can get to point you in the right direction or tell you Link is dying when that is already obvious. Comparing her to Navi, Fi is definitely the most annoying to deal with, but she's also the most characteristic and easy to get attached to.
PROSCONS
Well designed dungeons that make great use of the items thereinHand-holding story
Amusing characters with great character developmentOnly a few memorable pieces of music
Silent Realms are a good kind of nerve rackingBreakable shields
Mario Party 6
Top150-137.jpg

My favorite Mario Party game has to be Mario Party 6. I just love the day/night aesthetic of it all and how it is incorporated into the HUD, mini games, and board maps. The entire game centers around this theme, as the plot of the game revolves around a feud between the Sun and Moon character, Brighton and Twila, who have apparently watched over the Mario Party World for a long time. The boards change layout between the phases, and the minigame selection is different based on the time. This Mario Party has my favorite selection of everything in the series.

Except Solo Mode. Solo Mode is pretty lacking, but hey, a party isn't about playing by yourself!
PROSCONS
Boards that change with the day phase, causing a strategic level of thinking not seen in other gamesSolo Mode is a straight line
Minigame selection is greatThe bundled GameCube Microphone does not work 100% of the time, causing words to be heard as something different (namely "Mario" and "Wario")
An improved orb mechanic that keeps you from triggering your own traps
Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)
Top150-137.jpg

Star Wars: Battlefront II is a game my brothers and I just keep coming back to. It's got land battles, it's got space battles, it's got PVP. While there is a full campaign mode that follows along the rise and fall of the Empire, we mainly stick to the multiplayer modes (because the story mode has loading issues). We can set up our own story if we want, working together to fly into an enemy ship and take it down. Or we just try to take each other down in Mos Eisly in a massive free-for-all. I don't know about the more recent Battlefront titles from EA, but if you just want to mess around with Star Wars character beating the crap out of each other, this is the game to get.
PROSCONS
Star Wars worlds collide as Anakin Skywalker takes on Darth Vader
Lots of spaceships
Portal 2
Top150-137.jpg

If you played the original Portal and thought it couldn't get any better, prepare to be proved wrong. Portal 2 improves literally everything about the original game, from the writing to additional mechanics to two-player cooperation chambers. In the one-player campaign, Chel wakes up in a hotel room stasis chamber and is greeted by the orb robot, Wheatly. Wheatly shows that the room is on rails for some reason and bring Chel to the original testing chambers in order to escape the facility. Upon doing so, they reawaken GLaDOS and now have to escape her through new testing chambers. The two-player campaign has two robots, Atlas and P-Body, navigate the lab to find the humans that are in stasis.

While the game still heavily involves the use of portals to manipulate the environment, there are new mechanics thrown in. Most notable being the different gels that are splattered through some of the chambers. They can either make you run faster to jump large gaps, bounce uncontrollably to reach new heights, or make walls white and able to have portals be placed on them. Bridges made out of light can also be manipulated using the portals, allowing you create new paths or new walls, as well as special tractor beams that bring you across chambers. Plenty of new things and humorous content that will get even your mother interested.
PROSCONS
Humorous dialogue and character interactions with the two robots
Plenty of test chambers that really test your problem solving skills

Yesterday was busy. I'm still busy. Send help.
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Top150-137.jpg
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! gave us what is possibly the most interesting new mechanic in the Mario Kart series: Being able to use two characters at once. While the core game play is mostly unaffected, you still get two items to carry and a kart to drive, being able to put Mario and Bowser or Koopa Troopa and Toad in the same vehicle is a humorous feeling. This also means two players can ride the same kart, the front player takes control of the wheel while the back player handles the items, and the two can switch at any time with a simultaneous press of the Z Buttons. This also allows for 16 players to play together through the GameCube's LAN adapters.

In all honesty, this is my favorite Mario Kart game to control. Something about the way the vehicles are controlled just feel right. The race tracks are also fairly well made with catchy music to go along them, and the racer and kart line-ups are pretty solid, including some characters that have yet to return. It is just outdone by later Mario Kart games in terms of visuals and content. Even so, Double Dash is a unique game in the series that is worth coming back to.

Those of you that pre-ordered the game back in 2003 (or got lucky on eBay) obtained a special bonus disc that came with it. The disc included playable demos and videos to watch of upcoming games, as well as special items you can transfer to Fire Emblem.
PROS
CONS
Varied races courses with catchy musicVisuals are nice for the GameCube era, but don't really stand well today
All-Cup Tour is a fun addition to the game......but is absolutely killer to fight through on higher difficulties
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Top150-137.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is one of those games that split the fanbase back in the day. You either loved it or you hated it. The new motion controls that allowed you to control Link's sword with accurate movement through the Wii Motion Plus sounds like fun, but many complained it took away from traditional Zelda game play even though it... kind of didn't? The sword movements feel pretty natural, and you only have to recalibrate the Motion Plus several times throughout the game. Link's items are also created with the Motion Plus in mind, including the flying Beetle, the rolling Bombs, and the swinging Whip, though series mainstays like the Boomerang or a magical item are missing.

Much of Skyward Sword deviated from the regular Zelda-ness, actually. Skyloft is visited frequently to either progress the story or improve your items. It sort of acts as a central hub world, which Zelda doesn't really do. Your shields take damage the more you use them, so unless you use a special potion to reinforce them or have the Hylian Shield, you'll be going back to the Bazaar a lot. The upgrades are created through the materials you find in the land below, which would be too bad if you didn't have to learn about them for the first time you collect them every time you turn the game back on.

The story is also something that splits the fanbase. The story itself it usually praised by most fans, being that this scenario takes place well before Ocarina of Time and sets the stage for things to come, Zelda is captured and sucked into the land below and you have to go find her while confronting the mysterious Ghirahim, and your sword is alive. But the progression through the story is a splitting point, being that your sword spirit, Fi, takes every chance she can get to point you in the right direction or tell you Link is dying when that is already obvious. Comparing her to Navi, Fi is definitely the most annoying to deal with, but she's also the most characteristic and easy to get attached to.
PROSCONS
Well designed dungeons that make great use of the items thereinHand-holding story
Amusing characters with great character developmentOnly a few memorable pieces of music
Silent Realms are a good kind of nerve rackingBreakable shields
Mario Party 6
Top150-137.jpg

My favorite Mario Party game has to be Mario Party 6. I just love the day/night aesthetic of it all and how it is incorporated into the HUD, mini games, and board maps. The entire game centers around this theme, as the plot of the game revolves around a feud between the Sun and Moon character, Brighton and Twila, who have apparently watched over the Mario Party World for a long time. The boards change layout between the phases, and the minigame selection is different based on the time. This Mario Party has my favorite selection of everything in the series.

Except Solo Mode. Solo Mode is pretty lacking, but hey, a party isn't about playing by yourself!
PROSCONS
Boards that change with the day phase, causing a strategic level of thinking not seen in other gamesSolo Mode is a straight line
Minigame selection is greatThe bundled GameCube Microphone does not work 100% of the time, causing words to be heard as something different (namely "Mario" and "Wario")
An improved orb mechanic that keeps you from triggering your own traps
Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)
Top150-137.jpg

Star Wars: Battlefront II is a game my brothers and I just keep coming back to. It's got land battles, it's got space battles, it's got PVP. While there is a full campaign mode that follows along the rise and fall of the Empire, we mainly stick to the multiplayer modes (because the story mode has loading issues). We can set up our own story if we want, working together to fly into an enemy ship and take it down. Or we just try to take each other down in Mos Eisly in a massive free-for-all. I don't know about the more recent Battlefront titles from EA, but if you just want to mess around with Star Wars character beating the crap out of each other, this is the game to get.
PROSCONS
Star Wars worlds collide as Anakin Skywalker takes on Darth Vader
Lots of spaceships
Portal 2
Top150-137.jpg

If you played the original Portal and thought it couldn't get any better, prepare to be proved wrong. Portal 2 improves literally everything about the original game, from the writing to additional mechanics to two-player cooperation chambers. In the one-player campaign, Chel wakes up in a hotel room stasis chamber and is greeted by the orb robot, Wheatly. Wheatly shows that the room is on rails for some reason and bring Chel to the original testing chambers in order to escape the facility. Upon doing so, they reawaken GLaDOS and now have to escape her through new testing chambers. The two-player campaign has two robots, Atlas and P-Body, navigate the lab to find the humans that are in stasis.

While the game still heavily involves the use of portals to manipulate the environment, there are new mechanics thrown in. Most notable being the different gels that are splattered through some of the chambers. They can either make you run faster to jump large gaps, bounce uncontrollably to reach new heights, or make walls white and able to have portals be placed on them. Bridges made out of light can also be manipulated using the portals, allowing you create new paths or new walls, as well as special tractor beams that bring you across chambers. Plenty of new things and humorous content that will get even your mother interested.
PROSCONS
Humorous dialogue and character interactions with the two robots
Plenty of test chambers that really test your problem solving skills
dont worry, I'll save you from being busy!

Donkey Kong Country Returns
Top150-137.jpg
After not having a proper side-scroller since the SNES days, and not being in any main titles of his own outside of Mario vs. Donkey Kong since the N64, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong return to the platform we are familiar with in Donkey Kong Country Returns. The game plays similarly to their predecessors, being a side-scroller and your roll into or jump on enemies. There are some additional game play changes, like Diddy Kong being able to ride on Donkey Kong's back and provide a health and jump boost, but for the most part, it's the same as the games before it. Diddy Kong also provides two-player co-op play simultaneously, allowing a second player to shot peanuts and hover away from Donkey Kong. There are additional collectables and the levels are expansive.

The game does feel relatively easier compared to the earlier games, mainly due to the boosted health system. Both Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong have two hearts each, as opposed to one in previous titles. This is not a bad thing in the slightest, as the Returns is still a challenging game, especially when you are going through the Temple levels. You will need all the hearts you can get!
PROS
CONS
Two-player co-opOnly five returning characters
Fantastic level design and music
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Top150-137.jpg

I'm sure most gamers my age started their Smash Bros. journey with Super Smash Bros. Melee. It introduced me to a wider variety of characters I have never heard before (you can read more about that here). Even though it launched in the first month of the GameCube's life, Melee has continued to sell and ended up being the best selling game on the system. That really comes down to the fanbase around the game, who a majority still consider it to be the best game in the series mainly due to the technical mechanics the competitive scene utilizes. In terms of roster size, stage count, content, and music, later Smash Bros. game have easily outdone it. Yet it still remains a fan favorite and has continued to be used in tournaments over later games.
PROSCONS
Impressive music and stagesAdventure Mode, while great, is repetitive
Has continued to please fans even after two decades......though most of those competetive fans are toxic people who will defend this game over anything
Luigi's Mansion
Top150-137.jpg

The launch title for the GameCube, Luigi's Mansion showed off the new capabilities of the system. Better graphics, better sound, better controls. While it was a little odd back in the day to launch a system with Mario nowhere to be found, Luigi's Mansion proved to be an enjoyable game (even though it scared the heck out of me when I was younger).

I already reviewed its sequel, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, a few weeks ago. While both are fantastic games, there are some things the original has over its sequel. The biggest one being that everything felt connected. The original gave you one large mansion to explore, and it never felt like you needed anything more than that. Elemental ghosts can solve puzzles in another room, keys can unlock new rooms in areas you already explored, and as annoying as it was, Boos flew around from room to room like they owned the place (because they do). The ghosts are also more varied, each one with their own personality and gimmick rather than just being an improved variant of a ghost you've already fought.

Overall, I much prefer the format of the original game over the sequel. I have no idea how Luigi's Mansion 3 plays, but I hope to see more of this (no one spoil anything!).
PROSCONS
One large place to explore, filled with puzzlesBoolossus
The ghosts all have their own personality and battle gimmick
Luigi's animations are hilarious
Mario Kart Wii
Top150-137.jpg

Alright guys, this is it. This is my favorite Mario Kart game. And I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure why. Mario Kart Wii is visually decent, but Mario Kart 8 has outdone in the graphical department. Wii doesn't have my favorite racetrack listings, but there are some very good ones in there. It has the best roster I've seen in the series, plenty of variety in the character selection, though kart selection has been outdone in later titles. I like the shininess of the graphics, though, there is just something about them that makes me enjoy them more than what's in Mario Kart 8. The racetracks have a lot of variety, and the music is well done.

Maybe it's the Wii Wheel. I hardly ever use the thing nowadays, but back when we first got the game and the years since, I used it a lot. I always wanted to actually drive a car, a dream that was met a decade later, and Mario Kart Wii gave me that opportunity early. The Wii Remote's motion control is pretty well done. I spent a lot of time racing online, too, more than I have in Mario Kart 8. Racing just feels more fluid in this game, there's half pipes and fun times everywhere. And it's not just me that enjoys this game, Mario Kart Wii is still continuing to sell copies to this day.
PROSCONS
Expansive character roster and track selection
Super Paper Mario
Top150-137.jpg

Super Paper Mario is one of those games that took a different direction from previous titles and ended up splitting the fan base because of it. While the first two Paper Mario games followed more along the lines of a traditional RPG (in terms of base game play), Super Paper Mario threw all that out the window. Gone are turn based battles (with one exception), gone are power-up badges, gone are explorable 3D maps. The game instead utilizes character abilities to focus more on solving puzzles, power-ups exist but are either temporary or just act as another level up, and you can flip maps from 2D to 3D but exploration in them is timed.

And absolutely none of these changes make the game bad. Different, sure, but not bad. This is an entirely different take on the Paper Mario formula that is still enjoyable and works perfectly. Every character has something to offer. Mario flips from 2D to 3D, Luigi can jump high, Peach can float and shield, and Bowser is just an absolute powerhouse that can breathe fire. The partners, the Pixls, all have special abilities ranging from explosions, long range grabs, a hammer, terrain protection, etc. The level designs are mainly focused around who you have at the time, but there's always something worth coming back to.

The story is also usually praised among Paper Mario fans, even if they are split on the game play. The mysterious Count Bleck has obtained a powerful book that allows him to destroy all worlds, Dimentio is a jester with reality bending magic that enjoys toying with his enemies, O'Chunks is a humorous large man, and Mimi is a magical shapeshifter. All of these characters have their own backstory and plot that ties into the heroes' progression and the necessity of the Pure Hearts, and it is done very well.

I don't really like the 3D timer, since we are already restricted to only Mario being able to use it. The lack of a proper run button in a sidescroller is odd, and it being an unlockable option after a side-quest is even odder. The Super Mario Bros.-esque level progression fits the play style, but feels kind of out of place in an RPG. Super Paper Mario is sort of the "middle-ground" between the different play styles of the games around it, as later titles followed another different format. Even so, this game is definitely worth it.
PROSCONS
Impressive visuals and platforming challenges3D restriction
Incredible story and character interactionsLevel progression is a little odd

Great post, I was already pleased to see DKCR so high let alone SPM. I do think though that people overexaggerate the statement that SPM took a completely different turn from the first two. Turn based battles are gone yes, and the things that accompany them - badges, special attacks, FP, but pretty much everything else - story, characters, worlds, atmosphere, dialogue, just seemed to be the natural next step up from TTYD (and if you ask me makes up for the downgraded combat.)

I can kind of relate to why the 3D timer exists as otherwise players would just spend all the time in 3D to dodge enemies and find puzzles easy, whereas the meter encourages them to remain in 2D most of the time (as does the limitation of 3D to Mario only.) But it's only 1 damage, which makes it a pretty decent compromise - you're encouraged to remain in 2D most of the time, but if you're really determined to remain in 3D for a long time (the maze in 8-4 for instance) the game isn't outright stopping you or punishing you harshly for doing so.

I admit that not being able to dash until Carrie/Dashell was kind of frustrating though

Tbh I always considered Luigi's Mansion 2 to be the better game compared to the original and I never fully understood why it's so commonly considered inferior. LM2 was just a much bigger game with so many new additions and improvements, and more variety in the ghosts as well. Although I guess I can understand people preferring a single connected mansion and the more realistic art style. (Pretty sure it's commonly agreed that the third game is the best one, though; you should absolutely play it sometime.)

As for SPM...I'm really not a fan of it, and I've always considered it to be the weakest Paper Mario. The gameplay always felt pretty monotonous to me, like the 3D flip mechanic could have worked but the flip timer kinda ruined it, and was underutilized even then...and without it and with no turn-based battles to change the pace, it just feels like a mediocre platformer with RPG elements just shoehorned in. The story was okay i guess but also pretty overrated imo, and honestly I prefer all the NPCs being Toads to everyone being random geometric figures. You're entitled to your opinion though and I'm not trying to assert that you can't enjoy it.

The story of SPM is definitely overrated as far as Mario games go, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and the whacky characters the game included. There's nothing wrong with a lot of Toad NPCs, but then you might get tired seeing the same face over and over again, just with a different hat. And yeah, that's another thing with the 3D flipping mechanic, it wasn't used in anyway that felt absolutely necessary. At best, it got you around obstacles. The game is certainly better than the next two Paper Marios, imo :P

As for the two Luigi's Mansions, there's pros and cons to both. LM2 certainly improved on a lot, but the progression felt awkward. The first game made everything connected, but LM2 offered up more variety with the different mansions. I prefer first style, and Luigi's Mansion 3 looks like it has just as much variety as LM2's mansions, so I can't wait to add it to my library ^^

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Top150-137.jpg
The third Fire Emblem game released on the GBA, and the second released in English, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones is the best on the system to me. There are new mechanics, visuals are updated, and the characters are pretty enjoyable. The story is your usual bad-guy-tries-to-revive-old-demon story, but it's a constant theme throughout the game that heavily involves pretty much everyone while the continent of Magvel is in the midst of war. Twins Eirika and Ephraim leave their home to try negotiations with the attacking nation, Grado, and soon end up getting involved in something much more maniacal. Plenty of emotional bits here, too, as the main villain and the main heroes grew up together. The story even splits depending on which of the main heroes you want to follow, though they come together about halfway through the game.

Aside from new and adjusted classes and weapons, the game doesn't play all that differently from the previous titles. There is an explorable map like you see in Fire Emblem Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia and Fire Emblem Awakening, though. Overall, this a great Fire Emblem game to experience. Members of the 3DS Ambassador Program even got this title for free back in the day.
PROS
CONS
Good story with enjoyable characters
Excellent level design and music
SoulCalibur II
Top150-137.jpg

While SoulCalibur V was fun, I felt like it was lacking a few things the earlier SoulCalibur II did so well. V's story was great, but it felt way too short, and the only other content involved you fighting pre-set characters created with the character creator. SoulCalibur II, on the other hand, has so much content in it that it is worth looking back on even today. Along with the usual Arcade Mode, there is an expansive Weapons Master campaign that has you battle with a stage hazard going on and you can explore dungeons. There are several additional weapons to collect, each with their own strengths and weaknesses that SoulCalibur V just... didn't really do anything with other than visual appeal.

SoulCalibur's roster doesn't really expand much over the years, with some characters being replaced with an additional two or three new ones thrown in there. Where their roster shines is with the guest characters, and the GameCube version of SoulCalibur II has arguably the best one: Link from The Legend of Zelda. Even while the other versions got Heihachi from Tekken or Spawn from Spawn, after SoulCalibur IV added in Darth Vader, Yoda, and Starkiller from Star Wars, after Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed was added to SoulCalibur V, most people when they hear about SoulCalibur think about Link's inclusion over the others. The HD re-release of SoulCalibur II added Heihachi and Spawn in the same game, but not Link. Maybe we can see Link and Seigfried fight again in Smash Bros....
PROSCONS
Enjoyable campaign with plenty of variety
Impressive roster in all versions
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Top150-137.jpg

After Super Mario Galaxy's incredible sales and critical acclaim, Nintendo sought to do the same thing again with Super Mario Galaxy 2. It is... essentially the same game. There are still plenty of new and exciting galaxies to explore (as well as returning locations), and the visuals and soundtrack is incredible. Yoshi is also added to the game, and new power-ups such as the Rock Mushroom and Cloud Flower are introduced, allowing new platforming challenges. The post-game Green Star search is also a fun challenge, as it gives you little to no indication where you are supposed to be looking for them.

But while it keeps what made the first Galaxy game intact, there are a few things it misses the mark on. The progression between levels is done in an overworld map similar to the New Super Mario Bros. games rather than a central hub world. Starship Mario is fun, but there's never really a need to explore it. Lubba has his own charm, but doesn't have the same feel as Rosalina did. It also has the same linearity quirk the first game has, but I'll get to that later.

None of these differences make the game bad, though. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is still a fantastic game.
PROSCONS
Fantastic level design, soundtrack, and visualsOverworld exploration doesn't feel right in a 3D game
Yoshi and new power-ups help the game stand on its ownThe Perfect Run is a brutal challenge
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Top150-137.jpg

After Metroid Prime's incredible sales and critical acclaim, Nintendo sought to do the same thing again with... Wait, I just used that line. Well, the same thing happened with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Another first-person adventure in the armor of Samus Aran, she crash lands on a planet called Aether after receiving a distress call from said planet. The game immediately gets dark and gruesome, as Samus soon finds corpses of Federation soldiers hanging from ceilings and left for dead to the side, and some of these corpses are reanimated by a warrior species called Ing. After dealing with these, the game introduces Samus's doppelganger, Dark Samus, as she follows it into a portal to a parallel world called Dark Aether. Samus later learns of a power struggle between the Ing of Dark Aether and the Luminoth of Light Aether. Not being able to go anywhere else and wanting to learn more about Dark Samus, Samus agrees to help the Luminoth get their light back as it is being siphoned by the Ing.

The game plays much like the first game, being a first-person Metroid title. You can shoot energy beams and Missiles, curl into a Morph Ball, etc. Echoes introduces new power-ups, like different types of beams, and returning power-ups that weren't in the first game are brought back, like the Screw Attack. There are several new puzzles and incredible locations, it's a shame this game gets overshadowed by the previous game and its sequel. Also, there's a fun multiplayer mode.
PROSCONS
Incredible visuals and interesting challengesBoost Guardian freaking sucks
Super Mario World
Top150-137.jpg

Super Mario World was a launch title for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, but it still holds up well even today. The visuals are appealing and the platforming is excellent. The introduction of Yoshi into the franchise adds new powers and abilities, and the Cape allows Mario and Luigi to soar to new heights. The exploreable map from Super Mario Bros. 3 returns, with some levels having multiple exits and others being changed depending on whether you pressed a certain switch. It's a wonderful platforming game with plenty of secrets and experiences.
PROSCONS
"A lot of levels" is an understatementSacrificing Yoshi when you don't quite get a jump right
Fantastic level design and soundtrack

I think your reflections on SMG2 are mostly fair but The Perfect Run wasn't too hard if you ask me (as in, yeah it was really difficult, but I don't think that's a mistake.) The game was always easyness building up to hardness and the perfect run is the height of that. It's a really creative level and I think it's a great ending for 100% completion, whereas SMG1 didn't have that much of a challenge. Plus it wasn't even near impossible like a lot of people make it out to be. I beat it in less than an hour (and I could have cut that time in half had I not committed myself to taking down the final Boomerang Bro with a double kick) and I bet I'm not the only one

And yeah Lubba wasn't the coolest dude ever but I don't think he's worthy of costing SMG2 a mark down

I noticed "Overworld exploration doesn't feel right in a 3D game" and that's a completely valid opinion but... why don't you like it? If it's the world map you're referrring to then yeah I understand but the world map could still be cool in some ways, so I don't see it as a serious step down from SMG1.

I think your reflections on SMG2 are mostly fair but The Perfect Run wasn't too hard if you ask me (as in, yeah it was really difficult, but I don't think that's a mistake.)

I have yet to beat it :P I've gotten close, though.

And yeah Lubba wasn't the coolest dude ever but I don't think he's worthy of costing SMG2 a mark down

Compared to the previous spaceship host, Lubba feels underwhelming. No real character development we can look into, he's just the dopey big guy letting you run his ship. He's not a bad character, just underwhelming.

I noticed "Overworld exploration doesn't feel right in a 3D game" and that's a completely valid opinion but... why don't you like it? If it's the world map you're referrring to then yeah I understand but the world map could still be cool in some ways, so I don't see it as a serious step down from SMG1.

After the Comet Observatory, the segmented worlds felt like a step back. I didn't not like it, it does the job it's supposed to, but a 3D Mario game without a hub world just seems off. It works in 3D Land and 3D World because of how the games play out, but when exploration is a focus, an overworld map doesn't seem very fitting. No central world you can mess around in, like Peach's Castle or Delfino Plaza.

Sacred Stones is also my favorite GBA FE (alongside Binding Blade). Imo there's just a lot of things it did right, and honestly the fact that it's kinda short kinda makes its replay value better because with a longer game I wouldn't really have the patience to play the other route before a while.

Before I begin the Top 25, remember that I have not played every game in the world, and my opinions may differ from other people's. Below are some examples of games you will NOT see in the Top 25, most of which being games I have not played. An asterisk signifies that I have played the game, but not enough to get an accurate feel on it (not counting emulators).

Kirby's Adventure*
StarTropics
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening*
Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal versions
EarthBound*
Star Fox*
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island*
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons
Mario Party 3
Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X*
Perfect Dark
Sonic Advance
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Metroid Fusion*
Mega Man Zero
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mario Party 4*
Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Animal Crossing
Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
Metroid Pinball
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Star Fox Command
Mario Kart DS*
WarioWare: Touched!
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mario Party 9*
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Link's Crossbow Training*
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia*
Kirby Planet Robobot
Metroid Prime Federation Force
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Bayonetta 2
Splatoon
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokémon Sword and Shield
Super Mario Party
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition

With that, let's begin the Top 25!

Metroid: Samus Returns
Top150-137.jpg
By the time Metroid: Samus Returns released, the Nintendo 3DS was dying. Additionally, Nintendo had just recently taken down a fan remake of Metroid II titled AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), so some fans were a little salty when Nintendo announced Samus Returns. Both remakes of Metroid II offer new things. AM2R essentially just put the game into a Super Metroid engine, with improved graphics, sound, and controls. Nintendo's remake overhauls the entirely of the game, expanding the maps, adding a new interface, power-ups, and graphics, additional enemies and areas, and of course, more Metroids. As the Nintendo Switch was just released, I feel a lot of players missed out on this title. Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed it. Metroid II: Return of Samus was actually my first Metroid game, but it was so darn confusing that I never really ended up spending a lot of time on it. Metroid: Samus Returns modernizes the original game, making it feel like something completely new.
PROS
CONS
A complete overhaul of the original game, adding plenty of new things and improvements
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Top150-137.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a follow up sequel to the classic A Link to the Past. It is set in the same Hyrule, so you can expect much of the same content and characters, though it does add in plenty of new things into the mix. Use of new items will allow you to explore new areas and solve new puzzles, and Link's new ability to merge into walls allows access to even more areas and interesting puzzles.

This game also introduces a reworked mechanic involving the items, that later Zelda games seem to be built around. Gone are finding a specific item in a dungeon, you are capable of buying all of them directly from Ravio and tackling any dungeon in any order. While that does indeed work, it also leaves a lot to be desired. Dungeons are still built around a specific item, using other items occasionally for extra puzzles. There is a new item meter, which is nice for items like Bombs and Arrows so you no longer need to go find new ones, but is a bit restrictive when you have to keep using other items repeatedly. You can find enough Rupees to get every item at the start of the game, resulting in this over-powered kid right from the get-go.

I wouldn't call the changed item mechanic bad, but it certainly doesn't feel as solid as the earlier titles. I'd rather go into a dungeon not knowing what item I'd find, that's some of the mystery of Zelda. Even so, the new mechanic never felt like it got in the way, and this is a fantastic continuation of A Link to the Past.
PROSCONS
Wonderful visuals and soundtrackOdd level progression
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Top150-137.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Brawl introduced a lot of new things into the series. New characters, including third-party characters, joined the roster. A heavier tone on the art style. Final Smashes. Stage Builder. I got this game for my birthday in 2008, and my brothers and I spent a lot of time on it like we do for any other games in the series.

Many people tend to overlook Brawl nowadays, in favor of either Melee or Ultimate. Brawl is certainly a lot floatier than Melee, and the random tripping is just... awkward. Brawl also cut some characters from Melee, and trend that would carry over into Smash 4, and be broken with Ultimate. But one thing most will agree on is it had a fun story mode. Brawl hosts the most expansive story mode in the series to date, filled with cutscenes, story-specific enemies and stages, and a pretty solid story to work with. Ultimate's World of Light brought some of these back, but Brawl still remains the fan-favorite when it comes to the Subspace Emissary.
PROSCONS
Impressive story mode and soundtrackRandom tripping and character cuts
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Top150-137.jpg

What happens when you put Star Wars into an RPG genre? You get one epic adventure. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic follows the role of you as you help the Jedi find the missing Bastila and uncover the plot of Darth Malak. The game heavily revolves around the player's actions, granting them Light-Side or Dark-Side points that changes the outcome of several points in the story. It is absolutely massive and engaging, and the cutscenes are all fully voice acted, too. The game takes place 4,000 years before the events of the Galactic Empire, so you won't run into any familiar faces, but there are certainly a lot of familiar races and locations.

There is also a sequel and prequel I haven't played that looks like it improves on a lot of things.
PROSCONS
Engaging story and locations with fully voice acted charactersGraphics are pretty whack and can be pretty glitchy at times
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Top150-137.jpg

H-H-Here we go!

So they're here again, returning once more.
Full of new adventures, see what's in store.
Lord Frederick invades, taking what he sees.
This is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze!

DK! Donkey Kong!

He's the leader of the bunch. You know him well.
With brand new skills, this game will sell.
He can partner up, beat baddies. Wow!
With the meter full, pull off a Kong POW!
He's bigger, faster, with a strong pound.
He can swim around, and pull the ground.
Huh!

DK! Donkey Kong!
DK! Donkey Kong is here!

This Kong is back, with new skills, too.
Don't think she can't move on through.
With a popgun in hand, she can shoot real far.
Gumballs smack, they attack, her skills are on par.
With her large hair, she can fly for long.
Spinning through the air, she's one cool Kong!
Huh!

DK! Donkey Kong!

He may be old, but don't ignore.
His cane does hurt, and his words are a bore.
Shooting dentures at foes, taking out a bite.
Let him go, and he will fight!
With his cane below, he can jump real high.
Protect his grandson from going bye-bye!
Huh!

DK! Donkey Kong!
DK! Donkey Kong is here!

He's back again, with familiar moves.
He's still going strong, he's not lost his groove.
He can travel afar, with his jetpack on.
With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong!
He'll make you smile, he plays real well.
With his skills, the Tucks he'll fell!
Huh!

DK! Donkey Kong!
Huh!

Finally, further down the road.
We got a rocking New Funky Mode!
This Kong's so strong, he takes a beating.
His board lets him jump, and he can keep rolling.
Spikes don't hurt, he falls real slow.
When underwater, he can breathe forever, you know.
Helping newcomers without a sigh.
Man, this Kong's one heck of a guy!
Huh!

Forests, deserts, savannas, and ice.
Many more islands, this game is nice!
Ahh yeah!

Ahh yeah!

(I spent an hour on this, help)
PROSCONS
Impressive visuals and well-done level designWater physics need more work
Returning characters with new skills
Incredible soundtrack

Before I begin the Top 25, remember that I have not played every game in the world, and my opinions may differ from other people's. Below are some examples of games you will NOT see in the Top 25, most of which being games I have not played. An asterisk signifies that I have played the game, but not enough to get an accurate feel on it (not counting emulators).

Kirby's Adventure*
StarTropics
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening*
Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal versions
EarthBound*
Star Fox*
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island*
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons
Mario Party 3
Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X*
Perfect Dark
Sonic Advance
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
Metroid Fusion*
Mega Man Zero
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mario Party 4*
Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
Animal Crossing
Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
Metroid Pinball
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Star Fox Command
Mario Kart DS*
WarioWare: Touched!
Xenoblade Chronicles
Mario Party 9*
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Link's Crossbow Training*
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia*
Kirby Planet Robobot
Metroid Prime Federation Force
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Paper Mario: Color Splash
Bayonetta 2
Splatoon
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokémon Sword and Shield
Super Mario Party
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition

With that, let's begin the Top 25!

Metroid: Samus Returns
View attachment 2436
By the time Metroid: Samus Returns released, the Nintendo 3DS was dying. Additionally, Nintendo had just recently taken down a fan remake of Metroid II titled AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), so some fans were a little salty when Nintendo announced Samus Returns. Both remakes of Metroid II offer new things. AM2R essentially just put the game into a Super Metroid engine, with improved graphics, sound, and controls. Nintendo's remake overhauls the entirely of the game, expanding the maps, adding a new interface, power-ups, and graphics, additional enemies and areas, and of course, more Metroids. As the Nintendo Switch was just released, I feel a lot of players missed out on this title. Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed it. Metroid II: Return of Samus was actually my first Metroid game, but it was so darn confusing that I never really ended up spending a lot of time on it. Metroid: Samus Returns modernizes the original game, making it feel like something completely new.
PROS
CONS
A complete overhaul of the original game, adding plenty of new things and improvements
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
View attachment 2437
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a follow up sequel to the classic A Link to the Past. It is set in the same Hyrule, so you can expect much of the same content and characters, though it does add in plenty of new things into the mix. Use of new items will allow you to explore new areas and solve new puzzles, and Link's new ability to merge into walls allows access to even more areas and interesting puzzles.

This game also introduces a reworked mechanic involving the items, that later Zelda games seem to be built around. Gone are finding a specific item in a dungeon, you are capable of buying all of them directly from Ravio and tackling any dungeon in any order. While that does indeed work, it also leaves a lot to be desired. Dungeons are still built around a specific item, using other items occasionally for extra puzzles. There is a new item meter, which is nice for items like Bombs and Arrows so you no longer need to go find new ones, but is a bit restrictive when you have to keep using other items repeatedly. You can find enough Rupees to get every item at the start of the game, resulting in this over-powered kid right from the get-go.

I wouldn't call the changed item mechanic bad, but it certainly doesn't feel as solid as the earlier titles. I'd rather go into a dungeon not knowing what item I'd find, that's some of the mystery of Zelda. Even so, the new mechanic never felt like it got in the way, and this is a fantastic continuation of A Link to the Past.
PROSCONS
Wonderful visuals and soundtrackOdd level progression
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Top150-137.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Brawl introduced a lot of new things into the series. New characters, including third-party characters, joined the roster. A heavier tone on the art style. Final Smashes. Stage Builder. I got this game for my birthday in 2008, and my brothers and I spent a lot of time on it like we do for any other games in the series.

Many people tend to overlook Brawl nowadays, in favor of either Melee or Ultimate. Brawl is certainly a lot floatier than Melee, and the random tripping is just... awkward. Brawl also cut some characters from Melee, and trend that would carry over into Smash 4, and be broken with Ultimate. But one thing most will agree on is it had a fun story mode. Brawl hosts the most expansive story mode in the series to date, filled with cutscenes, story-specific enemies and stages, and a pretty solid story to work with. Ultimate's World of Light brought some of these back, but Brawl still remains the fan-favorite when it comes to the Subspace Emissary.
PROSCONS
Impressive story mode and soundtrackRandom tripping and character cuts
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Top150-137.jpg

What happens when you put Star Wars into an RPG genre? You get one epic adventure. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic follows the role of you as you help the Jedi find the missing Bastila and uncover the plot of Darth Malak. The game heavily revolves around the player's actions, granting them Light-Side or Dark-Side points that changes the outcome of several points in the story. It is absolutely massive and engaging, and the cutscenes are all fully voice acted, too. The game takes place 4,000 years before the events of the Galactic Empire, so you won't run into any familiar faces, but there are certainly a lot of familiar races and locations.

There is also a sequel and prequel I haven't played that looks like it improves on a lot of things.
PROSCONS
Engaging story and locations with fully voice acted charactersGraphics are pretty whack and can be pretty glitchy at times
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Top150-137.jpg

H-H-Here we go!

So they're here again, returning once more.
Full of new adventures, see what's in store.
Lord Frederick invades, taking what he sees.
This is Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze!

DK! Donkey Kong!

He's the leader of the bunch. You know him well.
With brand new skills, this game will sell.
He can partner up, beat baddies. Wow!
With the meter full, pull off a Kong POW!
He's bigger, faster, with a strong pound.
He can swim around, and pull the ground.
Huh!

DK! Donkey Kong!
DK! Donkey Kong is here!

This Kong is back, with new skills, too.
Don't think she can't move on through.
With a popgun in hand, she can shoot real far.
Gumballs smack, they attack, her skills are on par.
With her large hair, she can fly for long.
Spinning through the air, she's one cool Kong!
Huh!

DK! Donkey Kong!

He may be old, but don't ignore.
His cane does hurt, and his words are a bore.
Shooting dentures at foes, taking out a bite.
Let him go, and he will fight!
With his cane below, he can jump real high.
Protect his grandson from going bye-bye!
Huh!

DK! Donkey Kong!
DK! Donkey Kong is here!

He's back again, with familiar moves.
He's still going strong, he's not lost his groove.
He can travel afar, with his jetpack on.
With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong!
He'll make you smile, he plays real well.
With his skills, the Tucks he'll fell!
Huh!

DK! Donkey Kong!
Huh!

Finally, further down the road.
We got a rocking New Funky Mode!
This Kong's so strong, he takes a beating.
His board lets him jump, and he can keep rolling.
Spikes don't hurt, he falls real slow.
When underwater, he can breathe forever, you know.
Helping newcomers without a sigh.
Man, this Kong's one heck of a guy!
Huh!

Ahh yeah!

Ahh yeah!

(I spent an hour on this, help)
PROSCONS
Impressive visuals and well-done level designWater physics need more work
Returning characters with new skills
Incredible soundtrack
Nice rap, it rivals the original.

To my knowledge he doesn't play on them and only plays official copies of games.

I don't view emulators as legitimate. The feel of the game would not be accurate, and they could contain errors the actual game would not have.
I respect your opinion but just saying I played Book of Mario: Thousands of Doors (from which my current theme is from) on Dolphin with a PS4 controller and besides some lag (and the altered text obviously) it feels very similar to playing the real TTYD on a gamecube.
I'm keeping my scope to the physical games I've played.
Umm but what about digital downloads of games? Does virtual console count? BC I definitely enjoy SM64 and PM64 and I never had a N64 so VC was my only option really

I respect your opinion but just saying I played Book of Mario: Thousands of Doors (from which my current theme is from) on Dolphin with a PS4 controller and besides some lag it feels very similar to playing the real TTYD on a gaemcube.

Umm but what about digital downloads of games? Does virtual console count? BC I definitely enjoy SM64 and PM64 and I never had a N64 so VC was my only option really
*gamecube

Book of Mario is a fan mod, so that hardly qualifies :P Emulation can get pretty close, but I like authenticity.

As for Virtual Console titles, I do consider them. Paper Mario and Kirby 64 are on this list, and I only have them on Wii U. I think those are the only ones. But I don't spend a lot of time on them, and I usually already have the physical game anyway. They are official releases, so while they may not be able to be played with the right controller, they are legitimate releases overall.

Project X Zone 2
Top150-137.jpg
I didn't play any of the previous games in the Namco X Capcom lineup, so I didn't know what I was getting into with Project X Zone 2. I really only bought the game because it had Chrom and Lucina, and I only immediately recognized a handfull of characters. But man, was I in for a wild ride! Worlds collided as the fabric of reality itself is pierced, bringing together armies like never before. This is a Super Smash Bros.-tier of crossovers: Street Fighter, Mega Man X, Darkstalkers, Resident Evil, Streets of Rage, .hack, Ace Attorney, Legend of Valkyrie, Tekken, Sakura Wars, Fire Emblem, Xenogear, Xenoblade Chronicles, Segata Sanshiro, Tales of Symphonia, Space Channel 5, Devil May Cry, and more all come together in this epic RPG filled with great combat and hilarious writing.

There are some odd choices this game makes with its characters, however. Several previous characters are missing from previous games, a point they even note in game. So it's more like Super Smash Bros. Brawl (but better, clearly :P). Some notable characters are also missing from the series line-up entirely, namely company mascots Sonic the Hedgehog and Pac-Man. They probably would've looked out of place with all the human characters, but they don't even get so much as a cameo or even subtle reference. No "Gotta go fast!" or "Wakka wakkas!" anywhere. Bayonetta was also planned to appear alongside Dante, but the creator said he wanted them to meet on his own terms. An opportunity even he thinks was missed.

If you're a crossover fan, and you've been wanting a really fleshed out story mode, this is the game to get.
PROS
CONS
Really well fleshed out story with humorous writing and amazing cast of charactersVoice over dialogue is entirely in Japanese
Grid-based game play offers new strategiesQ-Bee's voice + Felicia's voice = Ear piercing headache
The Legend of Zelda
Top150-137.jpg

The game that started a grand adventure through the ages, the original The Legend of Zelda has offered us countless hours of exploration back in the day. It may not look like much nowadays, but it holds up far better than most other NES titles and is definitely deserving of the title of timeless classic. You start off as Link, with no real direction on where to go. There are three paths, but they could lead to trouble, and there is also a cave, that could also be trouble. Diving into the cave gives you your sword, which told players that you weren't going to just start off with everything, you had to explore and find it all yourself. Every screen has a secret in it, whether it be by burning a bush, pushing a rock, bombing a mountainside, or just defeating all the enemies. There is always something new to explore as you go about trying to find all the Triforce shards... and then you do it all again in the Second Quest!
PROSCONS
A grand adventure with catchy music and a near-endless supply of secrets
Metroid Prime
Top150-137.jpg

The first Metroid Prime is, not only the best of the Prime games, but the best in the whole series to me. There is so much that could've gone wrong when making a first-person Metroid title, and many power-ups that Retro Studios wanted to bring back didn't quite work out, but it did so much right that it is very easy to look over any small mistakes or missing content. It is a fantastic trip around the Metroid world of Tallon IV, filled with tense moments and lots to explore. Samus's reactions and the graphics against her visor are incredible, and everything plays out so fluidly that I never once questioned what I was doing or what just happened. The new controls took some getting used to, but they really helps make it feel like you had complete and total control over Samus's actions and how to handle what was happening around you. I am terrible at first-person shooters, but Metroid Prime made them fun for me.
PROSCONS
Incredible visuals that brought worlds to lifePrecise jumps can be difficult
Fantastic soundtrack
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3D)
Top150-137.jpg

Many consider The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask to be a step up over the previous game, Ocarina of Time. Vastly improved time travel mechanics, a field that isn't so empty, and many things going off at once. All based around the 3-Day mechanic that is the central focus of the game. While I agree with the points above that others have made, the 3-Day time limit wasn't something I was particularly fond of. I enjoyed having several things to do and knowing when they were going to happen, but I felt like I was constantly rushing and I never really took the time to enjoy my surroundings. You can slow time down, but I still never felt like I had enough time to do everything I wanted, and turning back time causes you to lose some collectables that you have to regather. Even with the strict time limit, I still had a lot of fun, this is still a fantastic adventure through the land of Termina, especially when you consider the original game was put together in only eighteen months.
PROSCONS
Catchy music and improved graphics
Solid game play based around a creepy story
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES/SNES/GBA)
Top150-137.jpg

The original Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES was a fantastic game, it gave me and my dad or me and one of brothers hours of fun. Mario had all new abilities and the level design is spectacular. But the original game also had a number of issues, namely graphic loading times and lack of a save-state, so it's specifically the remastered versions of the game, Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario Advance 4, that I enjoyed the most. They kept everything the same, multiplayer was still intact, and the game play was smoothed out to be more solid and an overall better experience.

What sets this apart from Super Mario World is really just the game play itself. SMB3 is a much more skilled challenge, the Raccoon power-up can't be abused as much as the Cape power-up, and the lack of Yoshi means you really have to be better at your jumps. It may not be as large as Super Mario World, and there's no secret levels to find, but it was a more challenging experience that made it more fun for me.
PROSCONS
Impressive level design and catchy musicLack of saves is odd in the NES original, after coming off of Zelda I and II

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Top150-137.jpg
And now for my favorite title on the Super Nintendo, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is another grand adventure in the land of Hyrule, filled with new things to explore. After Zelda II: The Adventure of Link mixing things up and feeling very unlike the first title, A Link to the Past returned to the original format with the top-down explorable look. Aside from the obvious graphical overhaul, it uses the processing of the Super Nintendo to its advantage to show dungeons with multiple layers, a very diverse overworld, new mechanics in both the items and enemies, a larger story, introduction of a second world, and much more. While many Zelda games have outdone it since, A Link to the Past is still an amazing title to come back to, and many titles still draw from it.

A Link Between Worlds for the Nintendo 3DS improved on some things, fell flat on others. Between the two, I felt A Link to the Past was more of a solid game. It worked very well within the limits of the SNES, showing as if there were no limits to begin with.
PROS
CONS
Well-designed graphics and dungeonsMoldorm boss fight
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Top150-137.jpg

When it comes to the 2D Mario platformers, New Super Mario Bros. Wii takes the top spot. The worlds and levels are bright and vibrate, and very beautifully designed. I got this game for my birthday back in 2010, and was immediately able to play a 4-Player game with my brothers and cousins. The addition of 4-Player simultaneous play is absolutely chaotic, but in a good way. You can work together to solve puzzles, or just get in each others way. The new power-ups, the Propeller Mushroom and Penguin Suit, offer some fun times through levels.

New Super Mario Bros. U felt like more of the same, just with new power ups and a single overworld. The puzzles and challenges in Wii felt better, as it only had the Wii Remote to work with, but U had to also account for the GamePad, so some mechanics just didn't end up happening for the sake of account for the player having the GamePad. I didn't get the same feel from U as I did from Wii.
PROSCONS
4-Player chaos
Well designed levels with bright graphics
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Giant_Bowser_Battle.png

You'd think crawling around the innards of video gaming's most recognize villain would be gross, but it's actually a lot of fun. Mario & Luigi: Bower's Inside Story takes the "Inside Story" expression literally, as Bowser ends up inhaling half the Mushroom Kingdom due to getting tricked by returning villain Fawful. Mario and Luigi solve puzzles within Bowser, while Bowser, who becomes a controllable protagonist, explores the overworld. Much of what Bowser does effects the Bros., such as drinking a fountain of water to allow the Bros. to swim. Likewise, things the Bros. do effect Bowser, such as giving him a power boost to turn him into a giant to tackle giant bosses. I haven't played any Mario & Luigi game after this, but based on what I hear, Bowser's Inside Story appears to be the most liked game in the series.
PROSCONS
Bowser as a protagonistGiant Bowser battles sometimes don't accept my commands
Fantastic music, story, and game play3DS remake absolutely flopped for several reason
Super Mario Maker series
MarioMakerGraphicStyles.gif

Like most other children, I dreamed of making my own Mario game. I don't mean like fan games, I mean content for actual Nintendo systems (though I did draw concepts for a fan game that never happened). Super Mario Maker allowed gamers to get as close to that realization as possible without being officially hired. Nintendo gave us a lot of assets to work with, and then the community went nuts. Insanely nuts. Millions of levels were created and uploaded just within the first couple of months, ranging from barren wastelands to incredibly difficult challenges. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3D felt like a step back, but Super Mario Maker 2 added more content and is continuing to expand people's imaginations.
PROSCONS
Plenty of content to let your imagination fly
Fire Emblem Awakening
AYMHAAACAAADVHjCG1RNdg.jpg

By the time 2013 rolled around, I was in a... pretty bad spot. I had just fallen out of school due to health reasons, and I was struggling to keep up homeschooling, and 2012 was just overall a terrible year for me. I had not yet decided to get involved with internet communities, so I turned to video games to bide my time, of course. At the start of 2013, I came across Fire Emblem Awakening. After reading about it in the first issue of Nintendo Force, I knew it was something I had to get.

Fire Emblem Awakening really helped me get through the year. I really enjoyed the characters, even able to connect to 95% of them (the outliers being Aversa and Walhart), and the soundtrack is incredible. Returning characters from past Fire Emblem games even return through DLC or Einherjar cards, though I feel like they could be handled better. Was kind of disappointed to find out I couldn't marry Lyn :P The story may not be the most solid for Fire Emblem standards, but that didn't matter to me. It was coherent enough to be enjoyable, and I've always been a sucker for time travel shenanigans. 850+ hours later, I finally built up my units to their full potential and sat the game down for good earlier this year. Fire Emblem Awakening is one of those games that I really owe a lot to, and I enjoyed every second of it.
PROSCONS
Well written dialogue and humorous character interactionsApotheosis
Plenty of character development with many classes to choose fromReturning characters felt underwhelming

Back