Captain Toad (Switch) / Mario Tennis Aces: Free for a week if you have NSO (Japan: CT; NA/EU/AU: MTA)

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
v122j8ll

Japan times availability (do the math based on where you reside): August 5 (12:00) ~ August 11 (18:00)

Seems like Captain Toad for Switch is free for a week (5 Aug to 12 Aug), provided that you have access to a Japanese account to download the game, plus have an active Nintendo Switch Online subscription. I do not know the specifics like if you need to sign in with a Japanese account even though the NSO subscription is non-Japan, but since the Switch is region-free, it should not be an issue.

I would likely take advantage of this privilege by basically rushing through the game, since I am yet to play the new Odyssey-based levels. Unfortunately I don't have a Wedding Mario/Peach/Bowser amiibo so I can't unlock those levels immediately.

I don't think the DLC levels are available, which is a shame.

---

EA3iB5SXoAAYA8G

Also, Mario Tennis Aces is free for a week for a similar time frame for Europe, Australia and from what I heard, North America also. It also requires Nintendo Switch Online so it's not completely free.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
so this is the equivalent of steam's free weekend events

huh they should do stuff like this more often

i'd just end up buying this game anyway since my wii u no longer runs wii u games

Would this mean that we would have to get the Japan version, and if so, is there an English language option so I can actually read the text?

I already own the original, so I'd really only be getting this for the new Odyssey levels and a potential DLC purchase. Thankfully, I have the wedding amiibo, so I won't have to speedrun the game to reach them.

Would this mean that we would have to get the Japan version, and if so, is there an English language option so I can actually read the text?

I already own the original, so I'd really only be getting this for the new Odyssey levels and a potential DLC purchase. Thankfully, I have the wedding amiibo, so I won't have to speedrun the game to reach them.
I am unsure about this, but I imagine that the game has multi-language support similar to most Nintendo games, so I am guessing that it's based on your language setting of the console.

If it's like the original Captain Toad, I think the other Odyssey levels will be locked behind diamonds except the first level so you might need to collect the bits first.

Thank you for reading.

I am unsure about this, but I imagine that the game has multi-language support similar to most Nintendo games, so I am guessing that it's based on your language setting of the console.

If it's like the original Captain Toad, I think the other Odyssey levels will be locked behind diamonds except the first level so you might need to collect the bits first.

Thank you for reading.
I just watched a video on YouTube, and there are no Super Gem roadblocks on the Odyssey levels. :)

Europe and Australia are now doing the same thing, but instead of Captain Toad, Mario Tennis Aces is playable for free for a week.

I already have Mario Tennis Aces, unfortunately, and double unfortunately, I live in America, which doesn't seem to be getting this free game offer at all.

My luck is the worst.
North America is also getting Mario Tennis Aces as the trial game, so it's not just Europe/Australia that benefit from it. I believe that the Adventure Mode can be cleared in a week, but the thing here is that it hopefully increases the activity in that matches can be found quickly during this period.

I am guessing that Captain Toad will be available later though.

Thank you for reading.

So, now that this offer is a thing, does anyone know if it is possible to get Captain Toad with an American subscription?
I know that as the person who made this topic, and that how I am in a position to be able to test it (I have a Japanese account since I needed it to get Puyo Puyo eSports, aka Puyo Puyo Champions), I am supposed to be responsible to post a response since nobody else would be interested. However, I wasn't feeling well so I have no energy to test this, so we probably don't know. I do believe it is possible if I follow the same setup as the Puyo Puyo game though, which is to download through the Japanese eShop page and load the Captain Toad game from the US account within the timeframe.

In any case, I felt that perhaps the US will get their chance since the "free game week" seem to be an ongoing program.

Thank you for reading.

Back