Let's further cut down on our Super Smash Bros. content.

Doomhiker

Bullet Bill
Wiki Patroller
'Shroom Consultant
If you remember https://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=39608.0 this subject then you will remember how we decided to cut down on our Super Smash Bros. content. But honestly: the extent to our coverage of the Super Smash Bros series is still too large. We still have pages on characters such as Joker who do not have any appearances that pertain to the Mario franchise, but still have a page due to appearing in Smash. Sure, the Mario franchise is quite major in the Smash franchise, but in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate the Mario franchise only has 11 fighters compared to eighty total after DLC. Very close to being only one eighth of the roster. While fighters are not the only representation of franchises in Smash, it is an example of how Smash does not focus on one or two series like other crossovers do: the Smash series focuses on video games as a whole. So, I will ask a question: will a regular Mariowiki reader go to the site for info about the Joker? No. How about info about his appearance in Smash? Still no. If the hypothetical reader would want to learn about the Joker, or his Smash appearance specifically, then they would go to either a Persona wiki, or the Smash wiki. Not the Super Mario Wiki. Of course, we do have similar to Smash coverage with other crossovers such as with Itadaki Street DS. However those crossovers are nearly one half Mario, so giving characters and stages pages makes sense as they pertain to a largely Mario game. No Smash game is largely Mario. Only partially Mario. Not even close to the likes to Mario & Sonic. And Wario Blast uses Wario as a major selling point, unlike with Smash where so many different franchises crossing over is the selling point. While the "bros." part of Super Smash Bros. is similar to Super Mario Bros. bros. is also a shortening of brothers. Finally, we even recently deleted G&W pages that don't pertain to the Mario franchise. (https://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Proposals/Archive_53#Delete_certain_Game_.26_Watch_game_articles)

Of course, character articles of characters that only are covered due to Smash appearances (and sometimes other unrelated appearances that do not pertain to Mario) are not the only Smash info that I fell should be deleted or trimmed.
*I also want any non-Mario item pages to be removed. So Freezie's Smash info will stay, but Banana Gun (which I did admittedly create) will be deleted.
*Pokémon will be deleted, and Assist Trophy will be trimmed to remove info of all non-Mario assist Trophies so it will only include info of Mario assist trophies. I mean, why would someone go to the Mario Wiki to learn about the fan-favorite Mario character Arcade Bunny? No one.
*Other lists with mixed pertaining info will also be trimmed to only contain Mario related info. So for example Spirit (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate) will only cover Mario spirits, not stuff like the Absolutely Safe Capsule's spirit. These pages will be adjusted to reflect the changes, although they will still contain opening paragraphs to explain how they work.
*Character pages and other non-Mario thing pages that have appearances in games that pertain to the Mario franchise will be kept, although their Smash info will be removed. So for example Banjo's page due to his appearances in Diddy Kong Racing N-Gang, etc., although the information about his SSBU appearance will be removed, as it does not pertain to the Mario franchise.
*Non-Mario stage pages will also be deleted, unless they fall into the rule above.
*The game pages will still stay, although they will be trimmed to only include info regarding the appearances of the Mario franchise, so it will only include the Mario fighters, cameos, stages, items, and any other pertaining info.
*The Smash series page will be trimmed in a similar fashion.
*Alph's page will be deleted. He is literally just a costume in Smash games.
*Any non-Mario bosses such as Tabuu will be deleted. Also, Off Waves will be deleted, because it should have been merged with Tabuu in the first place. Porky Statue, who is technically not a boss will also be deleted due to not pertaining to Mario.
*Any subspace emissary levels will be deleted, too. Even the ones where Mario character can play in, as they still are Smash levels, not Mario ones.
*Note that there may be other things that may be missing, but basically this will remove any Smash info that does not have anything to do with Mario, while keeping Mario info that does actually pertain to Mario.

Of course, Mariowiki:Coverage will be changed, to consider the Smash franchise as a "minor crossover", which is what it is, and thus, it should only receive partial coverage. While you may say that including so much Smash info is harmless, it is not, as it means that with every new game editors have to spend large amounts of time, and effort, making articles and update them to cover stuff that is not really Mario-reated, on the Super Mario Wiki? All of this Smash info wastes editors' time. In the enter Smash is not Mario. Is Spiral Mountain Mario? No, it is not, why should we cover it, if just it's Smash appearance. Of course, this is a large change, so please discuss and add feedback. Thanks.

I think that Banjo's SSBU info should stay but I agree with literally everything else. Delete, delete, and delete some more.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
I think that Banjo's SSBU info should stay but I agree with literally everything else. Delete, delete, and delete some more.
banjo isn't a part of our coverage so if you want to purge it you have to purge him too

Of course, Mariowiki:Coverage will be changed, to consider the Smash franchise as a "minor crossover", which is what it is, and thus, it should only receive partial coverage.

Smash is quite possibly the absolute biggest crossover, it's hardly minor in any sense. Major or minor, it is still a crossover. There's no guest appearances like you just decide to include Mario in the background of a Pokemon game. Every series is heavily represented in multiple ways.

Off of that, why would we remove other playable characters? Sure, other wikis do, but that doesn't mean we should. We cover Smash like we cover any other crossover. Every playable character gets a page, it's the same thing with Fortune Street. Why should we cover the Dragon Quest characters in Fortune Street, but not the other characters in Smash? That would lead to a weird place for Hero, tbh.

So for example Banjo's page due to his appearances in Diddy Kong Racing N-Gang, etc., although the information about his SSBU appearance will be removed, as it does not pertain to the Mario franchise.

This is just terribly confusing. In a game with both Mario and Banjo, why wouldn't we include Smash in Banjo's article?

There's also the popularity factor of the Super Mario Wiki itself. While it may not be the first wiki that comes to mind for people who actually use wikis consistently, they can still find the information with us and be led to where they need to, usually Smash Wiki. We work together, that's a point of NIWA.

tl;dr Smash is still Mario. It's also Zelda. And Pokemon. And Fire Emblem. And literally any other franchise represented. It's just a series where they all come together.

I agree with Alph's deletion, though.

Alex95 said:
Of course, Mariowiki:Coverage will be changed, to consider the Smash franchise as a "minor crossover", which is what it is, and thus, it should only receive partial coverage.

Smash is quite possibly the absolute biggest crossover, it's hardly minor in any sense. Major or minor, it is still a crossover. There's no guest appearances like you just decide to include Mario in the background of a Pokemon game. Every series is heavily represented in multiple ways.

Off of that, why would we remove other playable characters? Sure, other wikis do, but that doesn't mean we should. We cover Smash like we cover any other crossover. Every playable character gets a page, it's the same thing with Fortune Street. Why should we cover the Dragon Quest characters in Fortune Street, but not the other characters in Smash? That would lead to a weird place for Hero, tbh.

So for example Banjo's page due to his appearances in Diddy Kong Racing N-Gang, etc., although the information about his SSBU appearance will be removed, as it does not pertain to the Mario franchise.

This is just terribly confusing. In a game with both Mario and Banjo, why wouldn't we include Smash in Banjo's article?

There's also the popularity factor of the Super Mario Wiki itself. While it may not be the first wiki that comes to mind for people who actually use wikis consistently, they can still find the information with us and be led to where they need to, usually Smash Wiki. We work together, that's a point of NIWA.

tl;dr Smash is still Mario. It's also Zelda. And Pokemon. And Fire Emblem. And literally any other franchise represented. It's just a series where they all come together.

I agree with Alph's deletion, though.
While yes, Mario's appearance in Smash is major, it is small in comparison to everything else. In Mario & Sonic, for example, Mario is half of the game. In Smash, he is a merely small fraction. A better way to word the differences would be "crossovers which are largely Mario" and "crossovers that are not largely Mario". Just like how Smash is still not largely Zelda, even if it is heavily represented. The reason why we would not include Banjo's Smash appearance in his page is simple, as despite being in Smash, his Smash appearance is not part of anything Mario. It is part of Smash, like how his Banjo-Kazooie appearance is not part of anything Mario. However his DKR is part of something Mario so we cover it.

As for the playable characters thing, they do not need to be covered when Smash is not a Mario game. Sure many Mario things are in it, but that does not transform it into a Mario game. A Smash game is a Smash game, not a Mario game, or a Zelda game. With Fortune Street, Mario is basically half the game. Due to that covering the Dragon Quest characters makes sense, as they are in a game that is largely Mario. Smash is not largely Mario. As for the wiki thing, the NIWA wiki template on game pages and the Main menu already help the Smash Wiki and direct people to it. Just because the wiki is popular does not mean we should cover certain things: with that mentality we would cover stuff from Splatoon.

Hibiki Tachibana said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
banjo isn't a part of our coverage so if you want to purge it you have to purge him too
It's just that
-we already have a Banjo article
-we already have an SSBU article
So I don't see any harm in keeping his SSBU info.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Hibiki Tachibana said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
It's just that
-we already have a Banjo article
-we already have an SSBU article
So I don't see any harm in keeping his SSBU info.
It would be inconsistent to cover a character's info from Smash that is not from the Mario franchise and not for others. A reader would only look for his appearances in the Mario franchise on his article on the Mario wiki not on his Smash appearance. Plus the harm would be editors spending time and effort on something that does not really pertain to the Mario Wiki.

Doomhiker said:
While yes, Mario's appearance in Smash is major, it is small in comparison to everything else. In Mario & Sonic, for example, Mario is half of the game. In Smash, he is a merely small fraction.

Mario's series has actually been stated as one of the biggest inspiration for Smash Bros. A majority of the content is actually from Mario, in regards to characters, items, stages, etc.

The reason why we would not include Banjo's Smash appearance in his page is simple, as despite being in Smash, his Smash appearance is not part of anything Mario. It is part of Smash, like how his Banjo-Kazooie appearance is not part of anything Mario. However his DKR is part of something Mario so we cover it.

Again, this makes no sense. If we limit the content about Smash because it isn't a Mario-focused game, despite Mario and Banjo appearing in the same game, we may as well just delete the page. Would we remove Link's Smash info? Samus's? Sonic's? Why? They are all playable characters next to the Mario ones, so they deserve as much Smash coverage as Mario does.

As for the playable characters thing, they do not need to be covered when Smash is not a Mario game. Sure many Mario things are in it, but that does not transform it into a Mario game. A Smash game is a Smash game, not a Mario game, or a Zelda game. With Fortune Street, Mario is basically half the game. Due to that covering the Dragon Quest characters makes sense, as they are in a game that is largely Mario. Smash is not largely Mario. As for the wiki thing, the NIWA wiki template on game pages and the Main menu already help the Smash Wiki and direct people to it. Just because the wiki is popular does not mean we should cover certain things: with that mentality we would cover stuff from Splatoon.

No. Smash is an everything game. Why would we cover Dragon Quest characters from Fortune Street, which is a crossover, and not the characters from Smash, which is also a crossover? Same type of scenario here, a crossover is a crossover no matter how you look at it.

We don't go into the major technical data like Smash Wiki does, and we have the NIWA templates down at the bottom that link to the articles that do. But removing Smash content in this way is just being picky, there's no real reason to do so. Mario characters cross over with characters from another series almost all the time. We would remove Smash content from Link's page, Inkling's page, and Banjo's page, yet still keep the article despite Mario being in Smash and we don't cover the Smash content? It makes no sense to me to limit our coverage just because Smash isn't "Mario-focused".

Alex95 said:
Doomhiker said:
While yes, Mario's appearance in Smash is major, it is small in comparison to everything else. In Mario & Sonic, for example, Mario is half of the game. In Smash, he is a merely small fraction.

Mario's series has actually been stated as one of the biggest inspiration for Smash Bros. A majority of the content is actually from Mario, in regards to characters, items, stages, etc.

The reason why we would not include Banjo's Smash appearance in his page is simple, as despite being in Smash, his Smash appearance is not part of anything Mario. It is part of Smash, like how his Banjo-Kazooie appearance is not part of anything Mario. However his DKR is part of something Mario so we cover it.

Again, this makes no sense. If we limit the content about Smash because it isn't a Mario-focused game, despite Mario and Banjo appearing in the same game, we may as well just delete the page. Would we remove Link's Smash info? Samus's? Sonic's? Why? They are all playable characters next to the Mario ones, so they deserve as much Smash coverage as Mario does.

No. Smash is an everything game. Why would we cover Dragon Quest characters from Fortune Street, which is a crossover, and not the characters from Smash, which is also a crossover? Same type of scenario here, a crossover is a crossover no matter how you look at it.

We don't go into the major technical data like Smash Wiki does, and we have the NIWA templates down at the bottom that link to the articles that do. But removing Smash content in this way is just being picky, there's no real reason to do so. Mario characters cross over with characters from another series almost all the time. We would remove Smash content from Link's page, Inkling's page, and Banjo's page, yet still keep the article despite Mario being in Smash and we don't cover the Smash content? It makes no sense to me to limit our coverage just because Smash isn't "Mario-focused".
It is true that Mario is a large Smash influence, but that does not change how we should cover it. And even if most of Smash is Mario in SSBU there less than 30 Mario stages out of 103 total 11 out of 80 fighters, etc. So would should not cover the rest of the game just because some of it is Mario, when more is other franchises. It does make sense to limit Smash coverage, as Smash wastes are editors time on something that is not even Mario on the Super Mario Wiki, and it distracts the wiki from actually being a Mario-focused wiki. Anyways, as you said Smash is an everything game. Unlike Fortune Street, which is a Mario and Dragon Quest game. Fortune Street focuses on being a Mario and Dragon Quest Game, and it is enough Mario that we should cover everything from that game, as it still pertains to Mario. Smash has so many franchises that it is not one or two game franchises, and while it is a crossover, Mario is much more minor in comparison, being a fraction of the representation, that characters such as Joker stop pertaining to Mario and can become separate.

I wouldn't be sure about cutting absolutely everything you mentioned down, things like the Off Waves can obviously go and Alph can be merged, but I don't really think saying that these articles "waste editors' time" can be used as an argument, people have voluntarily chosen to write and work on these articles, and if they can't really help with anything else on the Wiki, it isn't really wasting time. I don't think we should remove the characters completely though, as similar logic could be applied to all of the Sonic characters in the Mario and Sonic series, and just about everyone else with a crossover appearance, and then we'd end up deleting a lot of content on account of the fact it isn't Mario.

The argument I'm seeing here that the only reason Smash is different from the likes of Mario & Sonic and Fortune Street is that more series get a piece of the pie. That's pretty much it. Of course, my twin proposed merging Alph a long time ago and I have no problems cutting down the size of the ridiculous Spirits page (that should cover only Mario characters in all honesty and it's a huge, slog on the load time mess on this wiki especially compared to how SmashWiki organizes this information better and efficiently), and maybe also perhaps trim down trophies as well. I don't agree with merging characters though, I think they do deserve articles because a lot of Mario players have played Smash Bros and would likely look up information on here, which leads to external sites anyway; Mario fans who play Smash will likely search up Joker on this wiki and use that as a connection to an exterior franchise.

Technically we could still delete the Sonic and Dragon Quest info as those do not pertain much to Mario either but that is a separate discussion. Regardless, I am fine with keeping the character articles/info as long as the rest of the non-Mario info goes.

But what does and doesn't pertain to Mario? Like, say, the Smart Bomb. Mario can grab it and throw it at Mario characters. Stages, you can put Mario characters fighting each other on the stage. How does these stages not pertain to Mario in some way?

I don't see the overall problem in having only some Smash information in a MarioWiki. It helps our wiki appear complete, but not overly comprehensive. So Mario fans who already are in the wiki can continue surfing in the wiki and following links. We already have short articles on Smash exclusive characters and have links to more in-depth articles to SmashWiki. Also, I don't think "wasting" editors time is a valid argument either, since as BBQ Turtle said, it's a volunteer job and people don't seem to mind uploading images and making big tables. I also don't think it "distracts" editors or readers either; isn't having people stick around to read our articles a good thing?

But there is a point to be made there, that other NIWA wikis don't cover Smash Bros. as comprehensively as we do. Nookipedia, for instance, just uses in-line links to the appropriate wikis. I'm not sure if it's just that NIWA wikis are generally smaller than MarioWiki, but even Bulbapedia, one of the bigger wikis, does this. But on the other hand, how MarioWiki handles at-a-glance information for an individual article Smash Bros. is better than even SmashWiki (a lot of information in SmashWiki is just linked to other articles), I think actually unmatched in other wikis. I don't know how you want to handle the main articles for each Smash Bros. game as other NIWA wikis don't seem to be a really good example to follow. I think how we do general information for Smash Bros. articles might be partially the reason we cover Smash Bros. information so more thoroughly than the average NIWA wiki.

I'm pretty agnostic on the Smash Bros. coverage, but I'm like middle guard who's accustomed to the coverage and it didn't seem to be much of a problem until we kinda creeped, but we already scaled back on it.

Dr. Baby Luigi said:
But what does and doesn't pertain to Mario? Like, say, the Smart Bomb. Mario can grab it and throw it at Mario characters. Stages, you can put Mario characters fighting each other on the stage. How does these stages not pertain to Mario in some way?
What pertains to Mario is if it is from the Mario franchise or if it appeared inside the Mario franchise. Banjo pertains due to appearing in DKR. Smart Bomb does not, it is from Star Fox and the only time the franchise interacted with it was in a non-Mario game, Smash.

Dr. Mario said:
I don't see the overall problem in having only some Smash information in a MarioWiki. It helps our wiki appear complete, but not overly comprehensive. So Mario fans who already are in the wiki can continue surfing in the wiki and following links. We already have short articles on Smash exclusive characters and have links to more in-depth articles to SmashWiki. Also, I don't think "wasting" editors time is a valid argument either, since as BBQ Turtle said, it's a volunteer job and people don't seem to mind uploading images and making big tables. I also don't think it "distracts" editors or readers either; isn't having people stick around to read our articles a good thing?

But there is a point to be made there, that other NIWA wikis don't cover Smash Bros. as comprehensively as we do. Nookipedia, for instance, just uses in-line links to the appropriate wikis. I'm not sure if it's just that NIWA wikis are generally smaller than MarioWiki, but even Bulbapedia, one of the bigger wikis, does this. But on the other hand, how MarioWiki handles at-a-glance information for an individual article Smash Bros. is better than even SmashWiki (a lot of information in SmashWiki is just linked to other articles), I think actually unmatched in other wikis. I don't know how you want to handle the main articles for each Smash Bros. game as other NIWA wikis don't seem to be a really good example to follow. I think how we do general information for Smash Bros. articles might be partially the reason we cover Smash Bros. information so more thoroughly than the average NIWA wiki.

I'm pretty agnostic on the Smash Bros. coverage, but I'm like middle guard who's accustomed to the coverage and it didn't seem to be much of a problem until we kinda creeped, but we already scaled back on it.
We should not keep the information just because we do it better than the real Smash Wiki. While this sounds selfish we should try to focus on ourMario content, and they should focus on their Smash content. If people only want to edit Smash articles, wouldn't it be better to have all of the NIWA Smash content on the Smash wiki, to bring editors that want to edit Smash there to make it overall higher quality? Hosting a mini smash wiki is like having one Mario Wiki and one that half-covers the franchise. Honestly, having so many articles on stuff that is unrelated to Mario is a bit too comprehensive still. As for the main game page articles I want them to remain roughly the same, listing the gameplay modes, and stuff, with the only difference being that on the pages' lists of characters, items and stages we will only include the Mario ones.

Doomhiker said:
Dr. Baby Luigi said:
What pertains to Mario is if it is from the Mario franchise or if it appeared inside the Mario franchise. Banjo pertains due to appearing in DKR. Smart Bomb does not, it is from Star Fox and the only time the franchise interacted with it was in a non-Mario game, Smash.

That still pertains to Mario in some shape or manner, purely because it appeared alongside Mario as a tangible game mechanic. That's what counts.

Dr. Baby Luigi said:
Doomhiker said:
Dr. Baby Luigi said:

That still pertains to Mario in some shape or manner, purely because it appeared alongside Mario as a tangible game mechanic. That's what counts.
Just because something can interact with Mario does not mean it is something that is Mario enough that it should be covered and vice versa: in several Legend of Zelda games Chain Chomps can defeat enemies, yet we still do not cover those enemies despite those enemies appearing alongside a Chain Chomp as a tangible game mechanic that the Chain Chomp can interact with.

The difference is, Mario is a playable character ie a major role in a game clearly designed around the crossover aspect. Chain Chomps in the Zelda games aren't. They're guest characters at best. And besides, the Chain Chomp's appearance in the Zelda games are technically covered in its article anyway.

Doomhiker said:
We should not keep the information just because we do it better than the real Smash Wiki. While this sounds selfish we should try to focus on ourMario content, and they should focus on their Smash content. If people only want to edit Smash articles, wouldn't it be better to have all of the NIWA Smash content on the Smash wiki, to bring editors that want to edit Smash there to make it overall higher quality? Hosting a mini smash wiki is like having one Mario Wiki and one that half-covers the franchise. Honestly, having so many articles on stuff that is unrelated to Mario is a bit too comprehensive still. As for the main game page articles I want them to remain roughly the same, listing the gameplay modes, and stuff, with the only difference being that on the pages' lists of characters, items and stages we will only include the Mario ones.
I can't agree with you here. Aside from simply appearing we're more focused on our mission, I'm not really comfortable on gutting a lot of (mostly small) articles on the wiki only because they're somewhat tangential from the Mario series, but still arguably relevant to the Mario franchise. As for people wanting to edit only Smash articles, having interests in Mario and Smash can overlap; people have accounts both here and on SmashWiki, probably editing similar information. I don't see the problem with that either? I don't think MarioWiki has a "mini Smash Wiki" as much as Mario has a "mini DK wiki". Tou have to answer, why do we cover DK games if they're only tangentially related to Mario, maybe less tangential than Smash but it's still not Mario; question is easy to answer regarding DK's relationship to Mario series. We already don't cover Smash as we comprehensively do DK per that DK has a stronger relationship with Mario and stronger relationships get more coverage and vice versa.

Dr. Baby Luigi said:
The difference is, Mario is a playable character ie a major role in a game clearly designed around the crossover aspect. Chain Chomps in the Zelda games aren't. They're guest characters at best. And besides, the Chain Chomp's appearance in the Zelda games are technically covered in its article anyway.
What I meant was that if we followed the mentality of creating articles of anything that something from the Mario franchise can interact with, we would be making pages on Zelda enemies, so Chain Chomp Zelda appearances being covered on his page is not my point. I get what you mean, though. Although following said mentality we should at least put all non-Mario items on one page similar to Assist Trophies as they can be interacted with Mario characters, but are not individually worth their own pages. Perhaps we could do the same with non-Mario stages, and even bosses that Mario characters fight against, while deleting the bosses that are not interacted with.

True. I think you have a point ultimately. I just learned that MarioWiki had an odd amount of Smash Bros. Coverage long before we drew the line (when MarioWiki covered Banjo and Conker) and created policy page. This was also before SmashWiki used to be wikia (if I recall correctly) and didn't join NIWA, that Smash Bros. gap in NIWA that MarioWiki used to cover is kinda moot.

I noticed that Smash Bros. entries can rank really high on search results, probably just right after SmashWiki. What do we take from this?

Having additional search traffic is not really a bad thing, and it is relevant at the end of the day. And I do think the arguments in favour of keeping them are stronger than the ones against; and I do firmly believe it is a crossover in our coverage, not a guest appearance.

But one thing I am fundamentally opposed to is removing all reference to non-Mario parts of the Smash series on the wiki. To take the point of the Smart Bomb, someone may not come to the website specifically for that item, but if I came here looking for the Super Smash Bros. Brawl page, and didn't see it listed in any way, I would assume the page incomplete, look for a better website and it would be unlikely that I would return.

Back