How Mario Kart 8 fails, and why Mario Kart Wii was good

Ray Trace said:
i never got how making exclusive content not exclusive anymore would be an "insult" to people, honestly. more people enjoying the video game is a great thing. you've got the advantage of playing the game earlier....mario kart 8 is a pretty old game and definitive editions like that should include all past dlcs regardless.

It is worth nothing though, that in Mario Kart 8, you can use all the DLC vehicle parts right off the bat. That's not the case in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and it also altered the starting vehicle parts.

it's more the fault of the random vehicle unlock bs really. they should let us use the coins to unlock parts we want to use first. at least mario kart wii does have a better vehicle unlock system but i still would prefer just getting the stuff i want first.

8 deluxe had atrocious rebalancing i agree with that

Speaking of vehicle parts, it's good knowing that Mario Kart 8 allows all characters to use any vehicle body; the size of the vehicle body gets adjusted to be compatible with the chosen character. After Mario Kart DS, Mario Kart Wii was one heck of a downgrade with its kart and bike restrictions.

Ray Trace said:
4. the graphics look awful even for a wii title.

I actually like the graphics. I know they aren't as good as, say, Galaxy's, but I like the visual style. Probably better than MK8's, as it just looks like any other HD game to me.

The blue shell was definitely way too common in Wii, that's for sure. I just had more fun playing Battle matches online with Wii than I did with 8. And I do think they could have done a little more with the racing on the Deluxe port, but at the same time there may or may not be a future Mario Kart game on Switch so I think they should probably focus on that instead.

It is weird that that graphics in Wii looked a bit worse in places than Double Dash, even though the GameCube and Wii have a similar graphical output. Wii even reused some stuff from Double Dash.

Alex95 said:
Ray Trace said:
4. the graphics look awful even for a wii title.

I actually like the graphics. I know they aren't as good as, say, Galaxy's, but I like the visual style. Probably better than MK8's, as it just looks like any other HD game to me.

i don't understand how 200 faced polygons with 256x256 textures lends it a "visual style" that is "better" than an hd game. mkw looks like a low-budget kart racer.

you know what was stupid about mkwii
the ranking system online

"win like 200 races to get 900 vr points lose 10 and you'll be back at 5000 vr :yoshi: :yoshi: :yoshi:"

(granted i'm exaggerating but still)

BlueFire said:
Personally at the very least, I think Mario Kart Wii is better than the Wii U version of Mario Kart 8. The Battle mode in that game was disappointing. (Mario Kart Wii's battle mode was sort of disappointing with the forced teams, but it wasn't too bad when playing online.) Mario Kart Wii should have had an option for elimination Balloon Battles. Funny enough, the Wii U version of 8 actually had it, but it was removed in the deluxe port for some strange reason. Also, I was never really a fan of the coins returning in 7 and 8. I wish there was an option to turn off the coins in the multiplayer options. Speaking of that, I wish there was an option to decide which items could appear in a race. I still liked Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, but the Switch version of Mario Kart 8 is so much better.
It was probably removed because the Wii U's Battle Mode just exemplified the flaws of elimination style, or at least that's probably how they saw it, and they returned it to points-style because people wanted it, and it's probably more fun and less punishing and doesn't promote camping either. Options should've been there, nevertheless, but you know, it's Nintendo, they always seem to keep stepping backward a little after going forward. I think the coins in Mario Kart 7 were tolerable and even better for things like Time Trials as it creates trade-offs between more coins or faster routes (as well as faster routes or items), as we've seen in DK Jungle from Mario Kart 7. It's the coin item that's a pain in the ass. It's even more insufferable when the fucking golden disc was even "X items only" AND those damn golden sewer caps weren't in the modes that would've made them useful: COIN RUNNERS. Oh, and I agree there should be some sort of item switch. Mario Kart 8 Battle Mode HAD some sort of X items only, but Switch seemed to restrict it to frantic/skilled/normal rather than have x items only + those three types. BUT AGAIN, it is Nintendo....

Ray Trace said:
mario kart wii's battle mode was dreadful because they put in spiny shells
That is definitely the worst thing about that Battle Mode. You can even be spiny shelled if you're on the losing team, which makes no sense. It's a good thing that flying abomination never really resurfaced in a Battle Mode again, as if Nintendo realized their mistake. Good for them.

MnSG said:
While Mario Kart 8 Deluxe does have a better Battle Mode, it really isn't any better than the original Wii U Mario Kart 8 when you're talking about racing; there are absolutely no track differences between the two games. Sure, it's one person's opinion, but since I've spent a lot more time racing than doing battles in MK8, MK8D was not a tempting offer (it's also an insult to the people who bought the MK8 DLC).
I think it's expecting much to have track differences. You also say the DLC being part of the base game (which was already 3-4 years old at release) is a bad and unjust thing, but charging $60 for Mario Kart Deluxe WITHOUT the DLC would actually be an Activision move. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe might be overpriced for lack of track content, since that repackaged game is just a few new characters and battle tracks, but it's a good starter game and helped the Switch have somewhat of a boost; Nintendo didn't want another Wii U where struggling launch sales contributed to a poor install base and contributed to the console's demise.

Alex95 said:
Given that the Wii is practically an overclocked Gamecube, it's not surprising to say that Mario Kart Wii has the same character models from Mario Kart: Double Dash. What is surprising, however, is that you deem Mario Kart Wii's graphics better than Mario Kart 8 (which if we go by everything including poly count, texture resolution, texture technology-Mario Kart Wii has no bumpmaping OR specular maps), materials, lighting-Mario Kart Wii doesn't even use actual shadows and all "shadows" are either altered meshes in the kart's case or textures baked onto the track) track detail, system power, is false) and looks like "any other HD game".

This isn't a matter of opinion. You're just wrong.

MooMooMeadowsMK8Battle.jpeg
800px-MKWii-MooMooMeadows3.png

Differences are like grassland and rainforest.

BlueFire said:
The blue shell was definitely way too common in Wii, that's for sure. I just had more fun playing Battle matches online with Wii than I did with 8. And I do think they could have done a little more with the racing on the Deluxe port, but at the same time there may or may not be a future Mario Kart game on Switch so I think they should probably focus on that instead.

It is weird that that graphics in Wii looked a bit worse in places than Double Dash, even though the GameCube and Wii have a similar graphical output. Wii even reused some stuff from Double Dash.
I haven't noticed the differences of spawning rate between the Spiny Shells between Double Dash, Mario Kart 7, and Mario Kart, or the spawning differences are too negligible to notice. I believe that's just confirmation bias.

It probably boils down to presentation rather than technology. Just shows you presentation still matters more than pure graphical capability.

fantanoice said:
The Thundercloud alone made MKW the worst
It's a bad item, but it's meant to function with several other racers. Its real problem is that it spawns in races with far fewer players and ends up being a heavy liability. They probably should either increase the benefits or lessen the penalty.

Shygul said:
you know what was stupid about mkwii
the ranking system online

"win like 200 races to get 900 vr points lose 10 and you'll be back at 5000 vr :yoshi: :yoshi: :yoshi:"

(granted i'm exaggerating but still)
I've heard similar complaints in Mario Kart 8 iirc (or maybe that was Smash Bros. Ultimate), but honestly, you probably shouldn't care about VR the same way people shouldn't care about GSP. It makes the game far more enjoyable.

I know, it's really bad. Now,check out this low-quality screenie from Mario Kart 8.

Rosalina_Moo_Moo_B.jpg

Princess Mario said:
Given that the Wii is practically an overclocked Gamecube, it's not surprising to say that Mario Kart Wii has the same character models from Mario Kart: Double Dash. What is surprising, however, is that you deem Mario Kart Wii's graphics better than Mario Kart 8 (which if we go by everything including poly count, texture resolution, texture technology-Mario Kart Wii has no bumpmaping OR specular maps), materials, lighting-Mario Kart Wii doesn't even use actual shadows and all "shadows" are either altered meshes in the kart's case or textures baked onto the track) track detail, system power, is false) and looks like "any other HD game".

This isn't a matter of opinion. You're just wrong.

I'm not saying Mario Kart 8's graphics are bad, far from it. Mario Kart 8/Deluxe looks amazing, and I absolutely love how the retro tracks look (especially the N64 tracks). I can say I like both games pretty much equally, but there's something about the graphical style MKWii uses that appeals to me. Simplicity? Lighting? Nostalgia? idk

well i know how bad n64 graphics in general very are but because their graphics are so bad that's why i ironically like them

Mt64wario.png

J — Pony Disguise said:
I mean, people have relentless nostalgia boners for SM64 graphics, so why not MKW graphics?
Super Mario 64 models are all pretty ugly imo

Back