Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games

tumblr_inline_psy3dgY6Qu1r7g3cd_400.png

There is some speculation what this shot in the trailer is, some say it's a new mode, others say it's a result screen, regardless, getting sprites of characters that don't have them makes me giddy

Candy Heart said:
tumblr_inline_psy3dgY6Qu1r7g3cd_400.png

There is some speculation what this shot in the trailer is, some say it's a new mode, others say it's a result screen, regardless, getting sprites of characters that don't have them makes me giddy
D8zY0s-UwAIUwkf.jpg:large

In this image, you could see the pixel Mario and pixel Sonic on the right side of the selection screen. It could either be just one event, or they could go the extra mile and convert several events into pixel versions of the original, meaning that 100m shouldn't be the only even affected by this. I do hope that every playable character is affected by this, even the more recent characters like Waluigi, Blaze and Silver.

Thank you for reading.

ummm why are there restricted selections of characters in every event... its just like the 3DS versions...

TBH i may go ahead and call this complete hot garbage since Rosalina is absent somehow but i want to still believe that this may be only a demo due to the poor selection of characters and stuff overall

besides this is released in november, so 5 months is still time... if it was for july or august then we may as well be screwed but i'll just wait and see.

at least, i don't believe they are gonna lock the base roster like in that pic because not even the Rio Games did that, it only applied to the 3DS version and the guest characters.

i have a feeling that that's for demo purposes but i wont be surprised if they took yet another step backward regarding playable characters

A mediocre series makes bad decisions. I'm shocked.

I agree that it's likely for demo purposes. This series is pretty hit or miss with certain things, but the console games usually keep the roster in-tact at least.
I'm more worried that they'll continue dumbing down the Dream Events.
On the other hand, I'm looking forward to the remixes we get this time around since that's the one thing this series never screws up.

im so sad Rosalina is likely getting the short end of the stick again in this series.

Hell at least if they wanted to be lazy (there's no excuse for any of this bullshit because they skipped 1 game so they had plenty of time)

then at least upgrade Rosalina and Toad to regular and ditch the other Mario guests.

This is so stupid.

ThatGuy62 said:
I agree that it's likely for demo purposes. This series is pretty hit or miss with certain things, but the console games usually keep the roster in-tact at least.
On the other hand, I'm looking forward to the remixes we get this time around since that's the one thing this series never screws up.
oh hell, why are there only 3 dream events now? they keep focusing on the bland shit, but I swear, a game built around dream events would SELL.

Swiftie_Luma said:
im so sad Rosalina is likely getting the short end of the stick again in this series.

Hell at least if they wanted to be lazy (there's no excuse for any of this bullshit because they skipped 1 game so they had plenty of time)

then at least upgrade Rosalina and Toad to regular and ditch the other Mario guests.

This is so stupid.
don't keep your expectations high. i was disappointed in the roster as it hasn't changed since the second entry despite people wanting the roster to be larger for, like, a century. anyone beyond the roster from the winter games is screwed.

Yes, it's a demo since this game is playable at E3, so it's unlikely that this is the selection going forward. I mean, why do you think many characters gets stylish uniforms even though they can't be picked? I just hope that the character selection for the classic mode (the one with character sprites and Tokyo 1964) remains consistent with the regular selection. Speaking of that, I can see Bowser Jr's SMB1 Mario Maker sprite making his appearance here.

There's something that caught my eye in regards to the Mario & Sonic series. We all know that the first Mario & Sonic was not only a million seller, but that definition applies for both Wii and DS versions. The series didn't really reach those numbers for subsequent games, but what amazed me is that, among the Mario sports series, Mario & Sonic accounted for more than 1/2 of the sales total (According to Wikipedia, 22.78M Mario & Sonic against 38.528M Mario Sports). Although I love Mario Sports games as much as any Mario fan here, the series achieving what any one Mario sport game series could not achieve is eye-opening.

Thank you for reading.

The first one was okay. The second was too. Most of the others improved on them, yes, but they were also entirely unnecessary and regurgitated far too much, and there's little reason to get more than one version of each season. They should have just stopped after the second one, really--and maybe even after the first one--and tried a different genre like platforming or even kart racing. The idea of a Mario and Sonic crossover is great, but it's just not really the right genre and it's definitely far outstayed its welcome. I'll never know why they're making Tokyo, or why they did make Rio, or why they made Sochi, or even why they made London. It's not like those newer games printed any money; most of those high sales numbers were from the first two. I would go so far as to say that the newer Mario and Sonic games are the single lowest valley in a mountain range of peaks. And the fact that they didn't use any time during that two-year break to improve this game's quality is just mind-boggling.

Will I be picking this up? Probably not, unless my brother asks for it. But after that mindnumbingly mediocre Rio game, I can't imagine this one being any good.

I’m gonna remain optimistic, yes it does seem like the guests are returning just as guests unfortunately but I still enjoyed Rio even with that one major nitpick

We already know Zavok is back so it’s safe to assume that Rouge and Rosalina are gonna be back without a doubt

Rosalina would just be in Gymnastics again sadly

Rouge, idk where they would put her

Let’s just be patient, we’ll know more maybe in July or August

Until then I’m still gonna pick this up and plus I’m just exited to see almost everyone in new attire for once!

Bandana Waddle Dee said:
The first one was okay. The second was too. Most of the others improved on them, yes, but they were also entirely unnecessary and regurgitated far too much, and there's little reason to get more than one version of each season. They should have just stopped after the second one, really--and maybe even after the first one--and tried a different genre like platforming or even kart racing. The idea of a Mario and Sonic crossover is great, but it's just not really the right genre and it's definitely far outstayed its welcome. I'll never know why they're making Tokyo, or why they did make Rio, or why they made Sochi, or even why they made London. It's not like those newer games printed any money; most of those high sales numbers were from the first two. I would go so far as to say that the newer Mario and Sonic games are the single lowest valley in a mountain range of peaks. And the fact that they didn't use any time during that two-year break to improve this game's quality is just mind-boggling.

On the gameplay front, I am not certain about many genres, only because I believe Mario already did a lot of them quite efficiently that Sonic won't add much. Like for example, Mario alone could already fulfill the content of a golf game, a football/soccer game and yes, even a racing game. Platforming would be an interesting experiment though, and probably the only best bet that both could crossover in a meaningful way, besides teaming up together in the Olympics.

I do think that the Mario & Sonic Olympic games should deeply focus on the Dream Events, which are a brilliant idea that put it way above any other Olympic games, because it provides what a crossover is set out to do: fan service for each component of a crossover. To wit, the Events use existing locations throughout the Mario series and Sonic series and reimagine them as Olympic sports. The Moo Moo Meadow + Equestrian hybrid is a very awesome example on what it could achieve, in addition to the Super Mario Galaxy + Sychronised Swimming hybrid. Although Dream Events are not as common as it once was (London is the highlight), at least the characters are still around and could interact with each other. I would say that the appeal of Mario and Sonic characters interacting is a huge draw and the reason these games are still being made. The awesome soundtracks are a bonus.

It's also interesting to think that SEGA has decided to not only make a new Mario & Sonic game, but to branch out to a regular Olympic game, so they are still pumping out more than one game per Olympic event.

Thank you for reading.

I'd murder someone if Sega got Sumo Digital to make a Mario & Sonic racing game. I'm confident it'll be better than Mario Kart in most aspects.

Princess Mario said:
I'd murder someone if Sega got Sumo Digital to make a Mario & Sonic racing game. I'm confident it'll be better than Mario Kart in most aspects.
That would be an interesting possibility, especially if they were to also get Nintendo's blessing since that would mean they could cram the game with a lot of elements from Mario and Sonic into one game. It would be even better if they could fit in as many characters as possible, although I suppose some favourites from the Mario series would have to be skipped, like I guess Baby Luigi. It would certainly be a huge win for both SEGA and Sumo Digital, but I am actually not sure if Nintendo would do this...

It's mainly because it would likely interfere with what Mario Kart set out to do: being an item-oriented racing game, and as we all know, Mario Kart is a system seller that if there were to be a different racing game I imagine that there is a perceived conflict in the product. The only way I can see this working is if the racing game could definitively be perceived as unique compared to Mario Kart. I do like the approach taken in Team Sonic Racing, where they executed team-based racing decently (plus the race is not restricted to two large teams).

Thank you for reading.

ThatGuy62 said:

I think the Dream Events will be retro versions of previous events (like what was shown briefly in the direct with everything turning pixelated).
I think there's evidence for that as well in a screenshot.

either this is gonna be reworked or its a bigass space for a guest button like the previous game.

9YLgCJr.jpg

either way it pisses me off.

Swiftie_Luma said:
either this is gonna be reworked or its a bigass space for a guest button like the previous game.

9YLgCJr.jpg

either way it pisses me off.

It think it’ll be a small section for the Mii’s and the Guests

winstein said:
It would be even better if they could fit in as many characters as possible, although I suppose some favourites from the Mario series would have to be skipped, like I guess Baby Luigi.

they should just cut mario instead for Baby Luigi

let her have her moment, she knows she lost

they're not going to include mario in a sonic & all-stars racing game, get over it

(even if they did, he'll be for the pussy console version than the superior pc version of the game)

also, i won by being able to play as a soviet general in that game

I got to play as Blowfish-spewing AGES and I'm still salty as hell about the dumb Sonic fuckers in the latest game

ages was unlocked, like by the end of the game while i got to play as my favorite early

Back