Things that people love to hate

If fortnite counts.

This thread gives me a strong "I don't have a specific problem/opinion, ergo it doesn't exist and everyone else is dumb and wrong" vibe.

I happen to have disdain for that kind of mindset, and enjoyment unfortunately does not factor into it.

Now that I think about it, Peach is a character that I see people love to hate on. I think it has to do with her being a damsel in distress for like 90% of the time. I mean yeah she's useless for like 90% of the time but the rest she's useful like in Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Princess Peach, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Run. Yeah, I know there are characters that people genuinely hate more than her like Waluigi and whatnot.

I mean I know I am being a total hypocrite because I used to be one of those people who loved to hate her but then I started to slowly love her.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, Peach is a character that I see people love to hate on. I think it has to do with her being a damsel in distress for like 90% of the time. I mean yeah she's useless for like 90% of the time but the rest she's useful like in Super Mario Bros. 2 USA, Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Princess Peach, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Run. Yeah, I know there are characters that people genuinely hate more than her like Waluigi and whatnot.

I mean I know I am being a total hypocrite because I used to be one of those people who loved to hate her but then I started to slowly love her.
Perhaps because you love Peach a lot, you might have been more sensitive to others whose opinions doesn't mirror your own, but Peach is far from a character that's "love to hate". Come on, the writers gave her a lot of moments to shine including in the famous Super Mario Adventures and the Paper Mario games, and she appears regularly in important roles (including getting an original moveset in Smash Bros, the highest honour a video game character can get). Peach has been removed from the "Worst Character" awards poll which means that hardly anybody think Peach is the worst.

Meanwhile, Waluigi is regularly ragged on because of his unusual circumstances: he first appeared in a spin-off game that's neither Mario Kart nor Mario RPG, yet he appears in more games that many characters and is still making regular appearances. Given that he's yet to appear in a main game there would be people who are naturally more critical to him. Additionally, his reason for creation is viewed as pointless for the reason that he's made to fill a role in a Tennis game, and it doesn't help that similar to Wario, Waluigi's not a looker himself.

The way people used Waluigi GIFs/images in responses doesn't help matters, because there are those whose are inclined to be annoyed at him, giving him a poor first impression to many. Worse is the reaction of a few who wanted to do death threats after Waluigi was assigned as an Assist Trophy, and while a rational person would know not to associate a character with the people who are fans of the character, not everybody are rational, which fueled the hate.

Plus, he's usually voted very highly on the "Worst Character" poll, but not to the Top 3 since there are already quite a few characters already considered worse: Kersti for starring in the most vilified Mario game (Sticker Star) and being unhelpful, Baby Rosalina for being a contradictory presence to those who enjoyed Rosalina's backstory and being part of the roster that is assumed to push out fan favourites, and there's Pink Gold Peach who is basically being an unpleasant surprise for being viewed as a pointless addition.

So basically Peach is not what one would usually "love to hate", except for very few people not worth looking for.

Thank you for reading.

sonic 06

Back