What'll happen when the NSMB series becomes old?

NSMB and Smash Bros. also have different game budgets and priorities. I have no clue why he brought up two completely different games in the first place, it's like saying "well Metroid Prime can render all of these stunning environments, why can't NSMB?"

Рождественский Малыш Луиджи said:
NSMB and Smash Bros. also have different game budgets and priorities. I have no clue why he brought up two completely different games in the first place, it's like saying "well Metroid Prime can render all of these stunning environments, why can't NSMB?"
Yeah but I was trying to point out that Peach was already playable in Super Smash Bros. Melee long before NSMBWii was in development. I mean Masahiro Sakurai and his dev team were able to implement her without no bullshit excuses. It's a GameCube game, while the other is a Wii game and since the Wii is a beefed up GameCube, it has no problems running Melee. Melee and Brawl are also 2.5D games too and they have Peach floating and whatnot in a platformer like environment that's also a fighter. The point I am trying to make is that Nintendo was fully capable of making Peach playable when they were developing NSMBWii. They just decided to back off of it for a lame complete total utter bullshit excuse. Even people on the PSP board on GameFaqs said that it was an excuse. I was trying to investigate if the PlayStation Portable (PSP, ya' know Sony's first handheld portable gaming console in the PlayStation line of products) was strong enough to handle flowing skirts like with Peach and I had to bring up Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for the PSP which is the 2.5D remake of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood/Akumajo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (Rinne) for the NEC TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine or more specifically the TurboGrafx-CD/PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 System add on for that 8/16-bit hybrid console, because of Maria Renard, a girl who in the original Rondo of Blood was wearing a dress similar to Peach and also happens to have blonde hair like her too. Koji Igarashi and the development team at Konami had difficulties implementing Maria Renard and decided to make sacrifices to her design. But I never got any real answer, which made me realize that even Konami themselves are capable of implementing Maria Renard with her original dress from Rondo of Blood rather than making sacrifices, same with Nintendo with NSMBWii with Peach even though they decided to scrap her entirely even though Peach was already playable in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl which are games the Wii was clearly able to run because it was a beefed up GCN and could play GCN games. Here is the original thread: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/918340-playstation-portable/75796129

They're literally two different games in two different genres with different priorities of gameplay, mate. Stop comparing apples to kiwis.

The wall of text is also rather unnecessary because you went off in a tangent about some other unrelated game (again).

They're literally two different games in two different genres with different priorities of gameplay, mate. Stop comparing apples to kiwis.

The wall of text is also rather unnecessary because you went off in a tangent about some other unrelated game (again).
Yeah, they're both different games, Smash Bros is a competitive, party fighter game while NSMB Wii/U are 2.5D platformers. But the point stands as Peach was implemented in Melee as a playable fighter and it is in 2.5D with her floating and whatnot. Smash Bros. is 3D on a 2D plane. NSMB is 3D on a 2D plane.

The reason I had to go on a tangent of another unrelated game (Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles) is because of Maria Renard, ya know, that Castlevania girl that some people on this forum mistook for being a Peach clone/wannabe even though she has several other designs like her adult SOTN design and the 15 year old design from Castlevania Judgement where she is completely different from that, and is also one of my themes along with Roll from Mega Man. She was playable in several Castlevania games such as Castlevania: Rondo of Blood/Akumajo Dracula X: Chi no Rondo (the game that Dracula X Chronicles is a remake of), Symphony of the Night (Sega Saturn, PSP DXC version, and PS4 Castlevania Requiem versions only), Portrait of Ruin, Judgement, Harmony of Despair, and Grimoire of Souls. I only used that game and Maria Renard because she has a dress like Peach and Konami had troubles implementing Maria as a playable character in her dress in Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles which is what Koji Igarashi said in an interview IIRC. It is also a game that is 3D but on a 2D plane like with the NSMB series.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Yeah, they're both different games, Smash Bros is a competitive, party fighter game while NSMB Wii/U are 2.5D platformers.

Stop that right there. That's enough you information you need to know that they're both developed within entirely different circumstances, different situations, different budgets, different genres, different priorities, different audiences, different pretty much everything. Same thing applies to your random Castlevania comparison.

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Yeah, they're both different games, Smash Bros is a competitive, party fighter game while NSMB Wii/U are 2.5D platformers.
Stop that right there. That's enough you information you need to know that they're both developed within entirely different circumstances, different situations, different budgets, different genres, different priorities, different audiences, different pretty much everything. Same thing applies to your random Castlevania comparison.
Yeah, but they're both games that are 3D but set on a 2D plane, ya know 2.5D. Peach appears playable in Smash but in NSMB, she was left out until Super Mario Run (a stripped down NSMB game for mobile devices) had the balls to implement her (and Daisy) when they were fully capable of doing it in NSMBWii (or even NSMBU to a certain extent) but they didn't because they said that they couldn't animate her dress which is complete total bullshit. Peach was perfectly playable in a 2.5D environment before NSMBWii was in development. And Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl have platformer-like elements like Adventure mode and the Subspace Emissary, among other things, making it still applicable.

That wasn't a comparison, that was using it as an example. It was all part of the investigation if the Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) was capable of handling dress physics for females when they're playable on GameFAQs in an effort to prove Nintendo (and even Konami) wrong about the dress parts, but then suddenly I realized that it was futile because I never got any real answer from it, and then I realized Nintendo was bullshiting because two people brought up Smash Bros. Maria Renard was brought up because she has a dress (as a twelve year old in Rondo of Blood) much like Peach (what a coincidence) and it also happens to be pink too (also coincidental) and Konami had trouble implementing her, similiar to Nintendo with Peach in NSMBWii (according to Miyamoto), but Konami had decided to redesign Maria so that they could implement her because it would save them some stress, while Nintendo was being lazy with Peach and they waited until Super Mario Run to do it. I am very mad and it really amplifies my ire when Nintendo made that not being able to animate her dress excuse for not implementing Peach in NSMBWii.

There's more differences to those games (NSMB vs Super Smash Bros. vs Castlevania) than just their presentation, mate, which I have already detailed in my previous post. Go read it again.

I'm talking to a wall.

In NSMB, characters aren't a priority (unlike Super Smash Bros.). Making an enjoyable level is, which NSMB features plenty of. If spending extra hurdles attempting to animate a character's dress who plays identically to other characters means that level design gets compromised, it's the thing that gets gutted out first if there's a lack of time and budget.

Yes it's good that Super Mario Run has implemented a playable Peach. That means they have time and budget to do that. However, Peach not being playable in NSMB is not "laziness" as you think it is. It's essentially an issue of priority. Peach's animations are not as important to NSMB as its level design and gameplay is hence why she's not playable in NSMB games. In addition, there's only so much you can do with level design when it comes to auto-runners, so I'd imagine they have the extra resources for extra playable characters.

You also bring up hardware again. I've already said this in the past that hardware has little bearing on whether it can handle dress physics. They most certainly can. The difficulty is not with hardware, it's artistic and animation. Animating a dress IS a pain in the ass, and it's clear you've never attempted to animate them before, especially in sprite-based games where characters don't have jiggle bones to work off from.

Maybe they could call the next iteration of 2D games something like "Hyper Mario Bros." or "Super Mario Bros. Ultra"?

I dunno, but a couple of ideas just for the heck of it: They could make this hypothetical line of games in a HD hand-drawn style (a la Wario Land: Shake It! but in higher quality), have some fully animated cutscenes between each World as an intermission and pre-battle cutscenes, and have the bonus, typically star/space themed Rainbow Road-esque World 9 actually be based on just that. Always been a nitpick of mine that the New Super Mario Bros. games' World 9 never really reflects those visuals; they could've looked incredible for their time and had really interesting hazards and enemies (plus some possibly catchy tunes)!

Back