Super Mario Bros. Encyclopedia and laziness: Dark Horse's dark heart

Looking at the thread in Nintendo Life... yeah, that Majora101 guy is just being a jerk. The fact that he was already insulting people with his first post shows that he was not going to have a reasoned discussion. Personally, I wouldn't bother continuing that discussion since he's clearly not listening. In fact, that sort of behavior is endemic of Nintendo Life comment sections.

All this tells me is that I think the wiki should get rid of conjecture all together and until something has an official name don't name it.

Mcmadness said:
All this tells me is that I think the wiki should get rid of conjecture all together and until something has an official name don't name it.

Then what would we do? Most of our conjectural names are just a brief description of what the thing in question is, such as "Pianta Village mayor."

you don't name it. it's not hard. I've lost track of how many wikis I've gone to that have had "unknown named thing" as their title.

Considering that the guide literally pulled any and every name from the wiki no matter what, I'm pretty sure that the most generic, undescriptive names could've been used and it wouldn't have made a difference. Besides, doing that's reader-hostile for anyone who wants to find information on those subjects and doesn't want to wade through piles of "unknowns".

Mcmadness said:
That apparently won't stop them from using names from wikia or older names we thought we'd pruned away.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
Borp said:
Mister Wu said:
What's wrong with NOA? Is it really possible that at NOE they are much more competent on the matter of non-in-game-text-material about the Mario universe? Are they missing internal proofreaders?

Sometimes the stereotypes about Europeans being smarter than Americans are true, unfortunately. :P

Oh please, Nintendo of Europe has had a pretty bad track record themselves in the past. They were the source of the claim that Moe-Eyes are "enemies," iirc.
Can you please source this claim? They surely ain't saying that in the last Twitter post

https://twitter.com/SuperMario_UK/status/961902515578163200

and Europe doesn't have its own official guide, relying on the PRIMA guide.

In general, I agree that we aren't having positive cases like the Italian translation of PMTTYD anymore, but the Spanish translation of the Encyclopedia looked to be competent enough - although I'd rather have liked to see what the glossary said when the names were contradictory. Can't say if the German translation has the same issues of the Englsih translation - it would be interesting to check, since there is a German equivalent of the Super Mario Wiki! -, considering how Kamek was handled, it seems like they were quite faithful with respect to the glossary.

Yo said:
Time Turner said:
Yo said:
I'm late and...I don't understand. Did Dark Horse use the wiki's name for the flying Stu from SMS in their book?
Yep. Alongside many, many other names.

Uh...wow. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Depends on how you look at it. You could say that we're inspiring official translators at Dark Horse and see it as a good thing...but ultimately, it's plagiarism, and that is not good at all.

Time Turner said:
Besides, doing that's reader-hostile for anyone who wants to find information on those subjects and doesn't want to wade through piles of "unknowns".

Are the type of people want to know more about Mario enemies nobody's ever heard really the same type of people who aren't willing to look past article titles that straight-up say the enemies have no names?

Borp said:
Time Turner said:
Besides, doing that's reader-hostile for anyone who wants to find information on those subjects and doesn't want to wade through piles of "unknowns".

Are the type of people want to know more about Mario enemies nobody's ever heard really the same type of people who aren't willing to look past article titles that straight-up say the enemies have no names?

look brah, nobody's renaming Kop while I'm breathing

Glowsquid said:
Borp said:
Time Turner said:

So are you the reason no one's done the painfully obvious thing of asking Greg Mayles on Twitter what these poorly PRIMA-named and unnamed DK64 enemies are actually called? I have a feeling some of the JP-named ones will have roughly the same actual names in English...and that "Purple Klaptrap" isn't intended as a distinct entity.

Glowsquid said:
Borp said:
Time Turner said:

So are you the reason no one's done the painfully obvious thing of asking Greg Mayles on Twitter what these poorly PRIMA-named and unnamed DK64 enemies are actually called? I have a feeling some of the JP-named ones will have roughly the same actual names in English...and that "Purple Klaptrap" isn't intended as a distinct entity.

iirc dk vine asked leigh loveday and his response was "they have no names, make some up you nerds"

Glowsquid said:
Glowsquid said:
Borp said:
Time Turner said:

iirc dk vine asked leigh loveday and his response was "they have no names, make some up you nerds"

Not good enough. G. Mayles or bust. The Japanese names "Krypt," "Kreeper," and "Krank" probably com from Rare somehow. And it's not like Rare to stop making ridiculous pun names anyway, I mean look at the B-K games being produced at the time!

Back