Could Birdo work well in a Yoshi game?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
Yoshi games have always had Yoshi as a playable character, ever since his first starring role in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Sure, there was a brief stint where Mario is in charge despite the Yoshi moniker, but Yoshi is now completely responsible for his own sub-series where he's either delivering a few babies, or battling the threat of Baby Bowser, or both. In Mario Tennis, Birdo was brought back as a playable character as a companion to Yoshi, and in Double Dash, Birdo and Yoshi have the same special item which made since, since they have eggs.

That brings us to the topic of today: would Birdo be a good fit in a Yoshi game? The idea is that, although Birdo was first introduced as an enemy, Birdo is treated as a friendly character since her majority of appearances are on the docile side. Because Birdo is a friendly character, it would make sense that Birdo has some form of playable role. After all, Birdo's first appearance showcases her main ability: shooting eggs and/or fireballs.

If Birdo would appear in a Yoshi game, she will likely share a few abilities with Yoshi such as the flutter jump, egg-tossing and breathing out seeds/fire/ice based on what is eaten. Perhaps the mechanic in consuming enemies will be different, so Birdo would inhale instead of using a tongue, but at the same time, Birdo could produce ammunition automatically after a brief period of time.

At the same time, perhaps Birdo isn't as universally appealing as Yoshi, whose large nose and general cuteness is loved by many. Birdo had the stigma of an unusual design of a large mouth and possibly being a transgender, which is something that is not as universally appealing.

For me, I would like Birdo to show up in Yoshi game as an alternative character, similar to how Luigi is slightly different to Mario, or Toadette who controls like Captain Toad. Certainly these examples have higher similarities between their counterparts, making them easier to implement, but I imagine that having a slightly different playstyle gives Yoshi games another playthrough.

Thank you for reading.

As another character? No.

As an enemy? Perhaps.

(Note: for all concerned, I will refer to Birdo as a "she")
I think if she were to be in the next Yoshi game, then it would be better as a helpful NPC, akin to Dreamy Broque Madame in M&L:DT, or as an enemy, as in SMB2 (or SMUSA). I for one could picture normal Yoshi and Yarn Yoshi teaming up to stop an army of Shy Guys and Birdos from conquering Yoshi's Island.

Just in general talking about Birdo's current status in Mario series, she seems to go away from her origin as a villainess but now has not been in Super Mario titles for a long time. She would be a nice alternative of Yoshi in both his game or in Super Mario titles as an assistant IMO.

The fact that Birdo not in Yoshi games kinda reminds of Waluigi never in Warioware. But unfortunately the fact Birdo is not as popular as Yoshi would be the major obstacle for Nintendo to consider giving her some spotlight like how Toadette became as major as Toad.

Well aside from Birdo, Baby Daisy is also the one that should be referred in Yoshi games.

Birdo is often seen as an enemy outside the spin off world however it would look super weird that she or her species attack Yoshi, it has never ever been that way. Their beef is with Mario.

I think she could, though it'd probably have to be in a non-Yoshi's Island one because I don't think she'd work particularly well with the babies, as she has spikes on her back and lacks a shell. That said, I think she'd be fine in something like Yoshi's Woolly World. I think she'd probably have to inhale enemies instead of eating them like Yoshi does, but you can use that to give the pair different stats- for example, Yoshi may have a much longer reach, but Birdo could spit eggs without having to lay them first. Aside from the tongue, Birdo has almost all of Yoshi's capabilities covered- eating enemies, launching eggs, even flutter jumping. Birdos even come in different colours, so you can even use different colour schemes like Yoshis.

Moldomré said:

As an enemy? Perhaps.

I think if she were to be in the next Yoshi game, then it would be better as a helpful NPC, akin to Dreamy Broque Madame in M&L:DT, or as an enemy, as in SMB2 (or SMUSA). I for one could picture normal Yoshi and Yarn Yoshi teaming up to stop an army of Shy Guys and Birdos from conquering Yoshi's Island.

I would like to know why you feel that Birdo should be considered hostile in your eyes. I know you mentioned the possibility of an NPC, but it's interesting that you think Birdo should also be an enemy.

Dorayaki said:
The fact that Birdo not in Yoshi games kinda reminds of Waluigi never in Warioware. But unfortunately the fact Birdo is not as popular as Yoshi would be the major obstacle for Nintendo to consider giving her some spotlight like how Toadette became as major as Toad.

I have a feeling that Toadette is much easier to include in games because she is quite similar to Toads, so her inclusion is much logical due to her distinct design. Birdo on the other hand is probably a lot trickier due to her unusual design, and in fact in the recent Paper Mario games she is the only Birdo in those games.

If I know somebody who is in a position to interview developers, I would have love to relay some questions regarding Waluigi and WarioWare, along with Birdo in the Yoshi's Island games. The response might either be simple or sidestepped, but at least I know that there is interest in adding said characters in those games.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
Moldomré said:

As an enemy? Perhaps.

I would like to know why you feel that Birdo should be considered hostile in your eyes. I know you mentioned the possibility of an NPC, but it's interesting that you think Birdo should also be an enemy.

Dorayaki said:

I have a feeling that Toadette is much easier to include in games because she is quite similar to Toads, so her inclusion is much logical due to her distinct design. Birdo on the other hand is probably a lot trickier due to her unusual design, and in fact in the recent Paper Mario games she is the only Birdo in those games.

If I know somebody who is in a position to interview developers, I would have love to relay some questions regarding Waluigi and WarioWare, along with Birdo in the Yoshi's Island games. The response might either be simple or sidestepped, but at least I know that there is interest in adding said characters in those games.

Thank you for reading.

Eh, I don't know. Just seems like the main theme of the big Switch games is going back to a series' roots, and if Birdo appears in Yoshi, it could be interesting to see her as an enemy again.

Moldomré said:
Eh, I don't know. Just seems like the main theme of the big Switch games is going back to a series' roots, and if Birdo appears in Yoshi, it could be interesting to see her as an enemy again.

Although Birdo's original appearance is one of an enemy, I feel that because it's practically done only in that game (in a dream setting, even), it's probably not that strong a root to go back to. Contrast this with other series, where the series' roots are normally deeper than that to make their return more significant, such as Super Mario 64's sandbox platformer being in play for more than that game.

Thank you for reading.

I think Birdo could end up being an interesting playable character with different attributes than Yoshi. While they both have egg projectiles, Yoshi uses his tongue while Birdo has that suction/cannon move she can do. Plus, Yoshi has his Flutter Kick, but Birdos don't have that. I have noticed though, that in most spinoffs, Birdo is generally heavier (and her kart) and has more physical strength (she gets me so many home runs even without hitting the sweet spot in Mario Super Sluggers). This could make for different gameplay between the two.
I also hopelessly ship Yoshi and Birdo, so that's a big reason for me to want this, but I generally keep my shippyness as a civil and reasonable level.

J & Siph said:
Plus, Yoshi has his Flutter Kick, but Birdos don't have that.
Actually, Birdos can flutter jump: In Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, there's a Birdo by the Legends Showdown sand sculpture, and one of her idle animations is a flutter jump.

winstein said:
Moldomré said:

Although Birdo's original appearance is one of an enemy, I feel that because it's practically done only in that game (in a dream setting, even), it's probably not that strong a root to go back to. Contrast this with other series, where the series' roots are normally deeper than that to make their return more significant, such as Super Mario 64's sandbox platformer being in play for more than that game.

Thank you for reading.

Beat again!

Always forget that SMB2 was all a dream.

397px-Birdo_Artwork_-_Mario_Party_7.png

If that isn't fat to you, then...

Well to be fair, different species of the same size could still have different densities in their skeletal and muscular systems.
This just got way too science-y too quickly.

Birdo is often conisedered friendly because she mostly appears in spin-offs, where villians often act friendly. But in non-spinoff games, she is mostly shown to be an enemy. So maybe she could appear as a boss, but as a supporting character - i think that no.

YoshiEgg1990 said:
Birdo is often conisedered friendly because she mostly appears in spin-offs, where villians often act friendly. But in non-spinoff games, she is mostly shown to be an enemy. So maybe she could appear as a boss, but as a supporting character - i think that no.

I think what differentiates Birdo from the other characters who tend towards villainous tendencies is that, more often than not, Birdo has been put on a more friendly side despite not being in a main game. For example in Wario's Woods, between Birdo and Wario, Birdo is the helpful one. I have a feeling that, because Birdo's status as a transgender is more well-known, it would be in Nintendo's best interests to make sure Birdo retires from her villainous origins since it would probably send the wrong message (remember, that's just my feeling).

Thank you for reading.

Back