Minor characters with wasted potential?

Dorayaki

King Bowser
Okay, I see there have been many similiar topics that begin with "underrated characters" in the thread titles. For this one I want the topic to focus those characters who are officially "minor" (since some might say Daisy or Waluigi based on different definitions).

They need to meet the following standard:
*Only appear in only one or at most three video games
*Only active in a certain period of time
*Not considered significant in either Mario game history or Nintendo history
*Make no appearance in any of recent new video game (no remakes) in five years.

(These might not be precise standards, any idea is wlecomed if you find more proper standards to filter the candidates.)

The following are some examples how minor characters are discussed. Of course, mostly based on my biased personal preference, so any different opinion or more ideas of other minor characters is welcomed.

Captain Syrup
Unlike those evil ladies from Mario RPG games that only make one-time appearance (if my memory works), Syrup is so far the only lady with boss status and also multiple appearances in the video games. However she is absent in recent decade and stays minor to the general franchise.
I think it'd be interesting to make her a "Wa-Peach" equal in Mario games (Mona from Warioware is still a good girl in general, anyway) so that Wario or even Peach can have a longtem rival in future games.

Parakarry
I know there are some popular exclusive partner character in Mario RPGs like Ge.... okay, but I think Parakarry has the closest role as a main character for that he works as a mailman, easily fits in any storywise opening, a neutral being in Mushroom Kingdom and also a good referee in sport games.
Secondly, it might not be popular opinion, but considering the popularity of koopas and paratroopas in Mario franchises, I think a representive character based on the species would not be a bad idea, espcially Parakarry with his eyecatching pilot helmet (sorry Kooper if that sounds biased).
Well I would personally favor Goombella over all RPG partners (obviously), recommending Parakarry is my intention for a more objective theory.

Plum/Gene
This one is of course from my old biased post about how sport game characters are underrated. Nowadays, Camelot is still even working with Nintendo, and their decision to kill all of the athletes from the Mario games is, honestly logical, but sad. Espcially the misfame of "exclusive athlete" is given to Waluigi rather than any of these professions, that is a dismay to both these athletes and Waluigi. IMO it'd be nice to have a feature professional athlete that stas as Camelot's icon in the game they make.
Again, the athelete nomintation is based on my taste. Plum is for being featured in the Golf 64 opening and Smash trophy, but undoubtfully Gene also play a major role in his story part. Gene might be the better option if Mario needs a serious professional rival other than Wario bros.

Toadbert
Based on the confusing introduction of Blue Toad in later Super Mario games. It worthes questioning why not recycling Toadbert who had enough cameos to return to Super Mario games, and confirm his recurring status as a Mushroom Kingdom member.
Well, I know there's a "Hint Toad" in the Toad Brigade, but it looks like Nintendo doesn't try to put all the blue heads together and integrate into a recurring toad across all games. It would be nicer if Toadbert can redeem to have better treatment.

Perry immediately springs to mind. Although there hasn't been a game similar to Super Princess Peach since, which explains why he hasn't returned in a major way, he's the sort of character you'd expect to make cameos or something. He could be used by Princess Peach as part of some of her special shots or something, or he could join Princess Peach in Smash and add some variety to her moveset-while he performs all of your basic parasol functions, so could replace the generic pink one, he can also do things such as breaking blocks and charged attacks, one or more of which could potentially be integrated as a special move. He'd be unlikely to become a major part of the moveset like Luma with Rosalina, but he wouldn't be all that different to Toad. He also seems like he could appear in the main series too in a minor role- for example, if Peach was kidnapped by Bowser he could be dropped as she's kidnapped and is found at various points in the game to give hints or collectables, a bit like Captain Toad. I doubt any of those things are even slightly likely to happen, I just think it'd be nice to see. I think it might also be nice if they added a more conclusive end to his story, maybe where they find the old man who looked after him and/or potentially find a way to change him back to his original form (Though personally I'd prefer him to stay an umbrella- he seems like he has more abilities and potential that way).

Well I guess remakes mean I can't say Fawful or any other Superstar Saga/BIS character, though I personally don't have much confidence they will change anything in the long run. I'll say... wait does 5 years include 2013 or can I say Antasma? Because I think he was the most wasted villain even by M&L standards. They could've done so much more with him but decided to use him as a hyped-up pushover instead. And he has such an underwhelming death sequence, I don't even think with how little he did he was even ready to outright die, but if they had used him to his full potential a Fawful-esque death sequence would've been better than randomly exploding with no final lines or anything. But whatever, my main desire for these characters involves games that don't have a timeline so lol.

Of course all the Paper Mario partners fit the bill to a tee. Personally I'd like to see Bobbery and Vivian come back in particular. And also, villains like Kammy Koopa, Doopliss, Beldam, Marilyn, Lord Crump, maybe Grodus, and the remaining former minions of Count Bleck (I'd be down to see the count himself again too, and Timpani in her true form, since they are still alive). In non-story games that don't need to fit into a timeline, even the dead characters should be able to be used without much question of context beyond 'fanservice.' Super Paper Mario characters would probably need design overhauls to fit into a more traditional art style though.

No one. This isn't a character driven series.

Wanda just to make more Fairly Oddparents jokes.

Well that would still be funnier than anything the show has done in the last decade.

Is it too early to consider Tiara from Super Mario Odyssey a (minor) character with wasted potential? Not much was done with her in that game. If Nintendo makes another game with her in it, I hope she has more of a purpose because you could write her out of the story and not much would change.

Johnny Five said:
wait does 5 years include 2013 or can I say
Cheeze said:
Is it too early to consider
The standard of time is to assume that newer faces have better chance to return soon than the retro ones. We can still be optimistic about them. Also add that Mario&Luigi series has a more continuous story for past characters to return... hope so?

BBQ Turtle said:
Perry immediately springs to mind.
Characters such as Perry, Starlow, Cappy are such mascot-type that they would only live in very specific occasions as assistants rather than having different roles in other games, such as being an athlete in sport games (amausing to see a sticker driving a kart, tho). So far most mascots cannot survive more than one game, their general chance is to get into a similiar game or a direct sequel of the original title.

Just talking about Super Princes Peach the game, it's kinda awkward since it's neither a very mainstream platformer title not a commonly seen spinoff. For now Peach is considered a hero in Super Mario titles, the need of Super Princes Peach is pretty much denied, which means Perry would not return in any sequel to get more development, unless there's a remake version.

I also felt abrupt about Perry's incomplete story when the game ends. Maybe it could just be very easy if Peach asks Kamek to change him back and let him go home. On the other hand, I think Perry could have been a move for Peach in Smash bros like how Mario keeps F.L.U.D.D. and Cappy.

Stanley the Bugman: Last seen in Donkey Kong 3 and if you want to count it, Greenhouse (G&W), Stanley is the only human character that is yet to properly appear in a Mario game, unlike Pauline. Certainly he is more generic compared to even Mario and Luigi, and his ability is not that significant compared to Mario (he's just known for spraying insects and Donkey Kong), but he could have made a nice cameo in a Mario game with an updated look.

Tumble: Mario Party's original characters tend to appear very infrequently, and they never veered off from the series they originated from. The one that appears in the most games is Woody, who appears in 3 games. I feel that Tumble has the most potential as the recurring Party character because he looks like he belongs in a Party game, and I won't mind if he appears in every subsequent party game.

Brighton & Twila: Appearing only in Mario Party 6 to facilitate the concept of day and night, both characters have potential for a different Mario game, like a Mario RPG or even a Mario Sports game. Even Super Mario could have both characters as a driving force in the story, like maybe a game where day and night affects a level drastically.

Dorayaki said:
Captain Syrup
I think it'd be interesting to make her a "Wa-Peach" equal in Mario games (Mona from Warioware is still a good girl in general, anyway) so that Wario or even Peach can have a longtem rival in future games.
I kind of view Syrup as the "Wa-Pauline" only because they are similar in appearance but they are very different: Pauline is a damsel-in-distress while Syrup is a villainess in charge.

Dorayaki said:
Plum/Gene
This one is of course from my old biased post about how sport game characters are underrated. Nowadays, Camelot is still even working with Nintendo, and their decision to kill all of the athletes from the Mario games is, honestly logical, but sad. Espcially the misfame of "exclusive athlete" is given to Waluigi rather than any of these professions, that is a dismay to both these athletes and Waluigi. IMO it'd be nice to have a feature professional athlete that stas as Camelot's icon in the game they make.
Again, the athelete nomintation is based on my taste. Plum is for being featured in the Golf 64 opening and Smash trophy, but undoubtfully Gene also play a major role in his story part. Gene might be the better option if Mario needs a serious professional rival other than Wario bros.

I feel that one of the issues with Camelot's human characters is that they were designed to be exclusive to the sport they play, so for example Plum and Gene are known as golf players but not tennis players. Similarly, characters like Alex and Elroy are exclusively tennis players but are not known for their golfing skills. Contrast this to the main Mario cast (including Waluigi), who can adapt to any sport they want. I guess they could be adapted to have a wider expertise, which is probably what you are saying.

Why do you consider it a mis-fame that Waluigi is the "exclusive athlete"?

Thank you for reading.

Johnny Five said:
can I say Antasma? Because I think he was the most wasted villain even by M&L standards.
Depends if the sequels could revive any of the deceased bosses, or future creations would not insist on the exactly same canon. Well hopefully Antasma can revive and have his revenge in a new M&L title as well.

The story ot Paper Mario Wii always has one of my highest ratings, despite the game is kinda underrated. But I'm personally fine with the open ending of the story of Tippi and Count Bleck since it was meant to be like that. Maybe a SPM remake can give more details about Tippi's past?

I would expect Paper series try to give more cameos of past characters (old partners, subecharacters, Countl Bleck's crew) like they inserted Lady Bow in TTYD, but sadly recent titles are rather more enclosed in the end.

Cheeze said:
Tiara from Super Mario Odyssey a (minor)
I actually predict she would be tied with Peach as her look suggests. Maybe it'd be proven in the next 3D title?

winstein said:
Stanley the Bugman: Last seen in Donkey Kong 3 and if you want to count it, Greenhouse (G&W), Stanley is the only human character that is yet to properly appear in a Mario game, unlike Pauline.
Well yeah, Pauline is pretty much favored in comparison of Stanley. He could actually appear in Mario v.s. DK titles, but they only keep Pauline as the featured guest.
Like you say, he is a caring gardener but is too generic to remember nowadays. He needs a new story to give him a more detailed background like Pauline and Wario. Maybe he could have been given a cameo in Odyssey as a gardner in Wooded Kingdom as well.

I personally like MC Ballyhoo, tho. Maybe his hat is also a Bonneter. :posh:

winstein said:
Why do you consider it a mis-fame that Waluigi is the "exclusive athlete"?
I feel that one of the issues with Camelot's human characters is that they were designed to be exclusive to the sport they play, so for example Plum and Gene are known as golf players but not tennis players.
I only mean Waluigi deserves to go into mainstream titles as long as he is not really a professional athelete, while the atheles are the ones that are supposed to be like what Waluigi is now.

My intention was to bring in just one recurring professional athlete (since unlikely Nintendo would pay more attention to minor characters), but yeah, like you say in reality one athlete might be only good at one sport. Just Mario and his friends are mighty enough to excel all sports :P. I wouldn't mind if there are multiple recurring atheletes that are good at different subjects.

winstein said:
Dorayaki said:
Captain Syrup
I kind of view Syrup as the "Wa-Pyauline" only because they are similar in appearance but they are very different: Pauline is a damsel-in-distress while Syrup is a villainess in charge.

I dunno, Pauline is actually a leader/is in charge now as well. Of a WHOLE CITY at that.

Moldomré said:
winstein said:
Dorayaki said:
Captain Syrup
I kind of view Syrup as the "Wa-Pyauline" only because they are similar in appearance but they are very different: Pauline is a damsel-in-distress while Syrup is a villainess in charge.

I dunno, Pauline is actually a leader/is in charge now as well. Of a WHOLE CITY at that.

I suppose you can add that to how Pauline and Syrup are counterparts, similar to Mario and Wario.

Thank you for reading.

While they have appeared in more than 3 games, I absolutely love the Koopa Kids. But their last appearance was Mario Party 7, and Bowser Jr. seems to have replaced them. It's a great shame because I found them hilarious. I interpret them to be huge fanboys of "Mr. Bowser," who thought their enthusiasm was charming enough to hire them. And of course, Green K. Kid is the handsome one.

Retricted in the Party canon or not, the main problem of Koopa Kids was their obscure role, neither as actually minor as koopas or goombas or as specifically important as the Koopalings, Nintendo don't really need to insert another "middle class" in Boswer's troop. The saying of them being BowserJr's prototype (similiar with DKJr to Diddy) might make sense.

Only until future Super Mario games come up with a role whicht they can fill in properly could they possibly return I think.

I'm sure the Koopa Kids were a stand-in for the Koopalings back when Nintendo was avoiding using them.

Back