Should There be a Super Mario Maker Sequel?

Russian Baby Luigi said:
You know, I forgot, I'd really love a Super Mario Bros. 2 theme. Needs more love and I had always been fond of picking up bad guys and tossing them around. There's also a bunch of creative stuff you could do by standing on a Shy Guy's head.

I really don't see how this could work, except in its own game. I never really liked this game, so I'm probably kinda prejudiced. :p

Reploidyoshi64 said:
I would want something like a Mario Kart Maker.

That would be good too, Mario Kart is one of the best spinoffs.

I bring up Super Mario Bros. X again, in which you could put SMB2 enemies and themes and stuff in the same environment as say Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World. Besides, I think it would be cool to see a Koopa or Goomba used in that style.

You can even throw items above you and spin jump in that game, which is like Super Mario World.

Really, SMM2 should just be all mechanics thrown into a mix... I just think it's better like that. Still, have NSMB be the version where you can wall jump, as it's weird for me to see wall jumps in the retro Marios.

I don't think it's a matter of "should" or "shouldn't", per se. I think a sequel is an inevitable eventuality. It might take a while, but I guarantee it will be made someday, should or shouldn't be damned.

I'd rather see Super Mario Maker ported to the Switch with a bunch of new added bells and whistles included like the aforementioned slopes, extra characters, costume mushroom working outside of the SMB theme and maybe some extra themes like SMB2, SML, and SML2 for example.

I WANT A BURGER said:
I'd rather see Super Mario Maker ported to the Switch with a bunch of new added bells and whistles included like the aforementioned slopes, extra characters, costume mushroom working outside of the SMB theme and maybe some extra themes like SMB2, SML, and SML2 for example.
As far as I know, that's physically impossible. The Switch lacks a key feature for Mario Maker: touch precision.

Maybe they could rework it to where you can use the left joy-con's directional buttons/left stick to move a cursor and the A button to confirm/place objects? Obviously it would probably be less than ideal, but I'm sure they could probably come up with a work around.

Touch feature could be used in handheld mode still.

And yes, for the TV mode, you'd have a cursor to move around he screen like Pokemon Quest does it. Not hard to use at all in my book.

Everyone said:

And yes, for the TV mode, you'd have a cursor to move around he screen like Pokemon Quest does it. Not hard to use at all in my book.
No, touch controls couldn't be used in handheld mode. The average finger is too big to play Mario Maker without a stylus, and due to the lack of touch precision, a stylus wouldn't work.

The cursor idea was okay in Captain Toad, but Mario Maker? That would require a pretty steady hand.

Speaking of touch controls, this makes me wonder: maybe Mario maker 2 will be on phones and iPads?

Sunshine Yoshi said:
Everyone said:

No, touch controls couldn't be used in handheld mode. The average finger is too big to play Mario Maker without a stylus, and due to the lack of touch precision, a stylus wouldn't work.

The cursor idea was okay in Captain Toad, but Mario Maker? That would require a pretty steady hand.

I meant moving the cursor like in Pokemon Quest as in, your right joystick moves the cursor. There are no camera controls in this game so it could work.

Assuming that the Switch's touchscreen isn't as precise/responsive as that of the WiiU (as peoplehere are saying) then I'd say no, as using it would be frustrating because it'd be really easy to misplace a block and you'd need to undo everytime and it would simply not feel good to make stages.
I'd indeed like a few more themes, like maybe a Soda Jungle theme, Desert theme or an Ice theme and related props and enemies (Pokeys, Spikes etc.), allowing you to put any sort of thing (enemy, decoration, etc.) anywhere regardless of the theme and the addition of slopes aswell, but other than that I can't really imagine what else they could add. I'm also assuming that, just like the original Super Mario Maker which was slightly "budgety" for a Mario game, the sequel would be an improvement but still nothing they'd put TOO much effort into...

So I'd be pretty indifferent, if we have it it'd probably just be just an improved port of the original that'd feel more of a "big update" than a true sequel, not that there's anything wrong with that but considering it'll be on Swith and not a WiiU then I would be too excited about it...

Everyone said:

It isn't so much that I worry that it might be difficult to use, rather that some players might find it a little rigid or slightly imprecise in comparison to the touch screen style of the Super Mario Maker Wii U/3DS. But I suppose the option to change the speed/sensitively of the cursor could help remedy that a bit.

Shovel Knight said:
Speaking of touch controls, this makes me wonder: maybe Mario maker 2 will be on phones and iPads?
I honestly doubt it. I remember I once tried to play Picross on my phone. Yeah, it didn't turn out so well. I was randomly filling and erasing squares that I wasn't supposed to. Mario Maker really wouldn't work then.

The Switch doesn't have the typical Nintendo touchscreen; it has the same kind you might find on an iPad. It's just not as precise as the touchscreens on the DS, 3DS, and Wii U.

Maybe they could make a Mario Maker port or sequel to Switch. But right now, I can't think of a single possible and convenient way to do it.

Back