Luigi Mansion for 3DS

It has been many years since I've last touched Luigi's Mansion, but I still remember how tricky it was to defeat Boolossus. What made Boolossus so tough was the fact that once there were less than 5 Boos left to catch, they'll start to become fully aware of the Poltergust 3000's ice blasts, which can make it very difficult to freeze them.

Add the fact that Luigi needs to have 90+ HP for a gold frame, and you'll definitely have problems if the Boos keep on running into you.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Revenant Archagent said:
Not from what I've seen
Well, it's the correct opinion, and those who disagree are probably biased. (Key word: probably)

I don't know, some people might just prefer the more Metroidvania-y style the first Luigi's Mansion had, as opposed to LMDM's more methodical, level-based system.

Revenant Archagent said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Revenant Archagent said:
Not from what I've seen
Well, it's the correct opinion, and those who disagree are probably biased. (Key word: probably)

I don't know, some people might just prefer the more Metroidvania-y style the first Luigi's Mansion had, as opposed to LMDM's more methodical, level-based system.
Someone preferring LM1 to LM2 is like someone preferring Kirby's Dream Land 1 to Dream Land 2. The latter is longer and infinitely better in practically every way, but many prefer the former for the sole reason that it came first. In other words, bias.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Revenant Archagent said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Revenant Archagent said:
Not from what I've seen

Someone preferring LM1 to LM2 is like someone preferring Kirby's Dream Land 1 to Dream Land 2. The latter is longer and infinitely better in practically every way, but many prefer the former for the sole reason that it came first. In other words, bias.

???

KDL2 and KDL, fundamentally, have very similar level structures and stuff. KDL2 is literally the same mechanics and game but better.

Luigi's Mansion has a lot of differences from LMDM that might make it better to one person, with a big open mansion and the advent of the Portrait Ghosts that some might like more than fighting generic green baddies.

Revenant Archagent said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Revenant Archagent said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
Revenant Archagent said:
Not from what I've seen

???

KDL2 and KDL, fundamentally, have very similar level structures and stuff. KDL2 is literally the same mechanics and game but better.

Luigi's Mansion has a lot of differences from LMDM that might make it better to one person, with a big open mansion and the advent of the Portrait Ghosts that some might like more than fighting generic green baddies.
"Better level design" is the typical argument as to why Dream Land 1 is better than Dream Land 2. They don't even elaborate. That's all they say.

Meanwhile, the typical argument as to why Luigi's Mansion 1 is better than the sequel is "better atmosphere". Really, these guys are just fishing for excuses to call the original better.

But both cases are comparing the original, which is technically more of a prototype, to the sequel, which is a whole lot more fleshed-out. The sequel's clearly superior by far, even if it lacks a few minor things that the original had.

Yes, there are people who have a legit opinion that the original is better. But they are very much a minority; 90% of those who prefer the original are just biased because it came first.

Honestly, if executed better, I probably would've preferred the first Luigi's Mansion to LMDM due to the metroidvania aspect of it, but it just wasn't done in a way that I felt right about.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
but many prefer the former for the sole reason that it came first. In other words, bias.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
90% of those who prefer the original are just biased because it came first.

uh, that's what opinions are. subjectivity is inherently gonna be biased.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Meanwhile, the typical argument as to why Luigi's Mansion 1 is better than the sequel is "better atmosphere". Really, these guys are just fishing for excuses to call the original better.
No, the first does have arguably more of an atmosphere than the sequel. The mood is gloomier, the outdoors is creepy piano but melanchonic. There is a part where Luigi is trying to reach really hard toward Mario. Oh, and I much prefer the plot to the first one feeling much more urgent and you also hear Mario calling for help from a well. The second one is much more goofy overall despite having some moments, and the story is just collecting MacGuffins and Mario is shoehorned at the end.

LeftyGreenMario said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
No, the first does have arguably more of an atmosphere than the sequel. The mood is gloomier, the outdoors is creepy piano but melanchonic. There is a part where Luigi is trying to reach really hard toward Mario. Oh, and I much prefer the plot to the first one feeling much more urgent and you also hear Mario calling for help from a well. The second one is much more goofy overall despite having some moments, and the story is just collecting MacGuffins and Mario is shoehorned at the end.
I wasn't saying that it wasn't true. It's just a rather weak argument as to why the first one is better.

Ray Trace said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
but many prefer the former for the sole reason that it came first. In other words, bias.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
90% of those who prefer the original are just biased because it came first.

uh, that's what opinions are. subjectivity is inherently gonna be biased.
I get that all opinions are gonna have some bias. But when you've got a newer game that's better than an older one in every way, and people still prefer the older one just because it's older, I just can't stand that kind of bias.

I'm not sure if it's really weak but it's a constant component of the game. Better atmosphere does seem to be a pretty decent argument as it does impact gameplay and especially level design. People often cite atmosphere for why they prefer Left 4 Dead over Left 4 Dead 2 levels despite the sequel being literally the first game but more and better, and I don't blame them.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
I get that all opinions are gonna have some bias. But when you've got a newer game that's better than an older one in every way, and people still prefer the older one just because it's older, I just can't stand that kind of bias.

i mean when that person has that opinion, i don't get how or why it should affect you. and no, opinions are arguably all bias, not just only some. there's a bunch of factors that go into shaping an opinion, prior experience, a person's tastes, what a person values in a game, etc. it's just a piece of entertainment after all.

There can be opinions backed by weak support, however, which YoshiFlutterJump is arguing, but I try contesting that the component of atmosphere really is a weak argument or not.

Am I the only person in this thread who thinks that on a core gameplay level that Luigi's Mansion and LMDM are completely different? Maybe I just remember how they play wrong, it's been quite some time since I played either...

Revenant Archagent said:
Am I the only person in this thread who thinks that on a core gameplay level that Luigi's Mansion and LMDM are completely different? Maybe I just remember how they play wrong, it's been quite some time since I played either...
Indeed you are.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Revenant Archagent said:
It's just that Luigi's Mansion was one huge sprawling map, and LMDM was level based....
That makes next-to-no difference in practice. Both games have a linear progression scheme.

No I disagree. The level structure changed objectives and stuff around while the structure in the first game was a bit more open ended in that some bosses we're optional and some bosses you can attack in any order. There was more of fixed objectives in dark moon and although both are still linear games, both still played significantly differently.

Back