LKD's 2nd art thread

What about a Bob-omb?

I'm sure your program, whatever it is (I suspect Blender) has an option to smooth the faces or otherwise fix the normals.

Well, there's always an option to use either. I do think the blocky look makes it resemble origami, but if it's not a desired result, I'm giving the option.

much better

any reason for the three light sources I'm seeing?

That's because of the harsh shadows from one light. In real life, light bounces from every surface. The harsh shadows are created because the light doesn't simulate the bouncing so areas in shadow are darker than they should be. You can mimic light effects a little better through 3-point lighting. Though you do have three lights in your initial picture, I can tell they're all in one spot. In three-point lighting, you place a main light, generally white, and you place two other dimmer lights. One of them is around on the opposite side of the lit object and on the floor, facing in the general direction of the main light. The other is a dim light you use to slightly light up any dark area of the object, generally the area of the object near the ground, to simulate light bouncing off the ground.

Even with the initial light, you can see the shadows are still too sharp, so if there is an option, you should probably soften them a bit.

If your program has it, I think you can also try blender cycles and mental ray, though I'm not that well-read up on blender cycles.

If you could, maybe add a tiny amount of reflection on the Bob-omb, since it's metallic.

There is probably a material specific for blender cycle, where you can place the diffuse texture on it

Hey, if you want to make a good looking metal, you absolutely need something for it to reflect on. I've learned this the hard way when I was making a render using metallic shaders, they always look really flat if you don't have an environment map or something that simulates it for the metal to reflect.

M5kzXwe.png

i figured out how to give it a metallicy look while retaining the colour.

Also does anybody have any other requests for things i should do?

Next time you render that Bob-omb, just make the reflection a little more subtle, reduce the amount of reflection on it.

EoCChWR.png

Updated bob-omb to be slightly less reflective

zUuowRd.png

Bowser

midrzBC.png

glass bowser

mIodM8t.png

gold bowser

szqdFOp.png

velvet bowser

qZNj5FJ.png

glass bowser with internal light source