SMG and NSMB Wii getting official Nvidia Shield ports in China

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
It's been rumoured for a while but now it's official: New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy (among other games) will be ported to Nvidia's Shield portable game console in China, presumably whenever it releases there.

DQQOe8pV4AAlPme.jpg:large

This is noteworthy both for the fact there is now an official HD version of both games and the sheer weirdness of major Nintendo games showing up on other systems like that.

That's one way to introduce Nintendo games into the Chinese market.

Those two games are probably the best ones to start with. Now the question is, how will they control? That's mainly because all the games that are available have motion controls, while three of the four games require them (Punch Out is the only one with an optional digital control scheme). If all the games require just a button press to execute their most important action, I can see speedrunners flocking to this version of those games since they have a better input, similar to how the iQue is the definitive version for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time speedruns due to its faster loading times.

Does Super Mario Galaxy support wide screen?

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
I can see speedrunners flocking to this version of those games since they have a better input, similar to how the iQue is the definitive version for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time speedruns due to its faster loading times.

yyyeah, I'm curious if they'll prot DKC Returns to the thing.

Will this receive their separate articles on MarioWiki?

Baby Luigi said:
Will this receive their separate articles on MarioWiki?

As far as anyone can tell, these versions are just the Wii game upscaled to HD resolutions and minor control changes to account for the lack of motion sensing, so the Shield versions certainly wouldn't get their own pages. Unless you'd like to argue that, say, Donkey Kong should have separate articles for its Atari 2600, 7800, Colecovision, Adams, etc., versions...

I did ask if it was worth making a page for the Nvidia Shield but I looked around and there was a wiki proposal whos concensus was that systems only deserve articles if they host original Mario games. But imo, the Shield situation is so much more interesting and unique because it's a case of Nintendo porting their games to a third-party console way after they'd become a major player in the industry. I'd love to make an exception for the Shield.

Makes sense. Nintendo has been trying to penetrate that market for years.

Kos-Mos said:
Hmm, I guess the "Wii" part of NSMB doesn't really make any sense, than again, Nintendo did name a game 64 DS and it ended on the Wii U so... yeah.
There was no iQue version of the "Wii".

I hear it's streamed. I'm not sure how that would work, if the game itself (all its assets and code) is on a server and not your device, how on earth is input lag avoided?

Regardless, I hope it comes stateside at some point. Portable Wii games? Heck yeah. Hopefully Super Paper Mario comes along at some point too.

Slushy the Slushball said:
I hear it's streamed. I'm not sure how that would work, if the game itself (all its assets and code) is on a server and not your device, how on earth is input lag avoided?

Regardless, I hope it comes stateside at some point. Portable Wii games? Heck yeah. Hopefully Super Paper Mario comes along at some point too.

Streaming usually means that the game can only be played online, so my guess is that the game is downloaded into the console and you have to replace the game with another one if you want to play another game. Apparently each game has a cost, and it's pretty cheap compared to what the US need to pay (around the equivalent of $10).

Super Paper Mario is a rather wordy game, so I do not think there will be a Chinese version of it unless they think it's a good enough game to be worth the translation effort. Moreover, the circumstances around China require that the software be ported to the Shield, so I doubt the US would get it (and if they do, would it be conducive? It doesn't seem to be all that popular).

I am unsure where you get the idea that this device is portable. It's like a microconsole: a machine that requires you to plug into the TV and play, only thing is that it doesn't have a game slot to insert software into it.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
I am unsure where you get the idea that this device is portable. It's like a microconsole: a machine that requires you to plug into the TV and play, only thing is that it doesn't have a game slot to insert software into it.

at least in 'murica, the Shiel Portable is the most advertised and better known product from NVidia's range of Things that paly video games so the confusion is understandable

Glowsquid said:
at least in 'murica, the Shiel Portable is the most advertised and better known product from NVidia's range of Things that paly video games so the confusion is understandable

Interesting. I guess it's an effort to differentiate it from the other gaming devices, since it is portable and have great specs for something you can carry around? From what I learned, it doesn't seem successful enough, even though the tech would technically be its selling point.

Thank you for reading.

Super Mario Galaxy was released for the Shield yesterday.

Back