Super Mario Run nominated for Google Play game of the year

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
So, Super Mario Run ... that was sure a thing, wasn't it? Well it was good enough of a thing to get nominated for Japan's Google Play Game of the year, alongside Fire Emblem Heroes, Magjikarp Jump, Everyone's Golf, Disadia and that Madoka game where everyone dies in the end, if you want to vote for it, go herehttps://playawards.withgoogle.com/intl/ja_jp/nominee/#!/, you will have to deal with a captcha in Japanese so get your translator out.
Me, personally though? I voted for FEH.

Serval said:
So, Super Mario Run ... that was sure a thing, wasn't it? Well it was good enough of a thing to get nominated for Japan's Google Play Game of the year, alongside Fire Emblem Heroes, Magjikarp Jump, Everyone's Golf, Disadia and that Madoka game where everyone dies in the end, if you want to vote for it, go herehttps://playawards.withgoogle.com/intl/ja_jp/nominee/#!/, you will have to deal with a captcha in Japanese so get your translator out.

You voted for that gatcha money grabbing game?

Listen, I got Lute the exact moment she was able to be summoned, and Lute is superior after all.

But still, I would want to point out that this is a specific timeline, Super Mario Run actually came out last year ... on IOS, this is of course for Google Play games, so as for Android goes, it could be a game for this year, there also seems to be a cut off date as Pocket Camp and Hal's UFO game are nowhere near the list despite being well received

memoryman3 said:
Serval said:

Yeahahahaha *sees that FEH was free while SMR costs TEN DOLLARS* yeah FEH is toootally the money grabbing one and not just because it is because of bias riiight.

None of these games I can play on my old-ass Android ;~;

Google probably already tracks you with other means so...

Anna said:
memoryman3 said:
Serval said:

Yeahahahaha *sees that FEH was free while SMR costs TEN DOLLARS* yeah FEH is toootally the money grabbing one and not just because it is because of bias riiight.

Yeah, gacha games aren't know for their predatory practices

Anna said:
memoryman3 said:
Serval said:

microtransactions

d-did you not see the microtransactions

like the one that lets you pay 75 dollars for orbs

Since you mentioned this poll in the Mario boards, I was expecting you to vote for Mario, but that's not the case. For me? Since Super Mario Run is one of the few games in that list that is freely available in my country (Magikarp Jump is the other notable one), I voted for Mario. Yes, Fire Emblem Heroes and Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp cannot be locally downloaded, but Singapore is able to do that.

Thank you for reading.

Time Turner said:
Anna said:
memoryman3 said:
Serval said:

microtransactions

d-did you not see the microtransactions

like the one that lets you pay 75 dollars for orbs
That's all on the user if they choose to pay for that.

Yes, psychological manipulation to get people to spend 75 dollars on a bunch of fucking "premium" currency is really just user choice.

I don't know how bad it is in FEH, I don't think it applies there because it's free-to-play, but that's the same excuse they use to shovel in micro-transactions in fully priced 60 dollar games and I'm not having any of that.

It's also my user choice to rather pay some dollars upfront for a good mobile game with none of the frills that come with it than to deal with a game constantly badgering me to part cash at every opportunity, whether subdued or not.

I don't agree with Super Mario Run's price, but I think I'd prefer that over a freemium game. It's so easy to get warped into spending money on premium currency that I don't think it's worth it in the long run, nor do I believe that the game wanting to get you to spend more cash is something I'd even say it's close to your actual user choice.

Oh, and what doesn't help matters is that publishers shovel in microtransactions in their 60 dollar premium titles for exactly the same "user choice" reasons. You know what happens when this excuse gets too far? You'll get Star Wars: Battlefront.

I understand that free mobile games need to make money somehow, with some means, a lot of freemium games use this sort of system, but "user choice" is a utter bullshit reason to include them.

Kos-Mos said:
tumblr_p0h020rjQz1w6z3n8o1_1280.jpg

Welp, we have a winner crowned.
Don't feel so sad for Mario Run, it's technically not a game of 2017 anyways.

Interesting that Fire Emblem Heroes is the winner. It didn't star one of the traditional Fire Emblem characters, so I didn't know it's Fire Emblem until I have to look for it. It reinforces the trend that players tend to prefer games with free-to-play and a chance of getting better options through paying, along with Nintendo's reports that Fire Emblem has generated more income compared to Super Mario Run (a game that did get support, but it's ultimately pay-once-to-play).

It should be noted that Mario Run is indeed 2017, since it's released on Android this year (and this is a Google Play nominations, which by definition is Android), unlike the iOS which got this game back in December 2016.

Thank you for reading.

I still think that Super Mario Run was a tad too overpriced.

With half the price, you could drop cash on the Rayman Runners instead, what I think is a far superior auto-runner.

Kos-Mos said:

UGH!

Of course it has to be the waifu-bait. FE fans can be really rabid.

memoryman3 said:
UGH!

It should have been Super Mario Run, which is certainly not waifu bait, as none of the characters in that game are even remotely waifu material.

memoryman3 said:
UGH!

You're not the one to speak, person who jacks off to Daisy on a daily basis.

memoryman3 said:
UGH!

It has a lot of content, and more are added every month. It's a great quality free-to-play game, with no freaking ads.
After all, FEH beat other waifu-baited games.

memoryman3 said:
Kos-Mos said:

UGH!

UGH!

Of course it has to cause troll bait posts. These boards can be really... um... something?

Back