Should the Broodals appear in spin off games?

Mister Wu said:
Imagine if they actually do that and the Koopalings disappear for yet another 6 years at least... how can then they come back? Not as children because Bowser Jr., not as underlings because Broodals, that would be quite the conudrum...
Koopalings should've remained Bowser's kids so they have this family dynamic thing going on unlike their furry variants.

Seriously, except for Madame Broodal, what exactly can these characters accomplish that Koopalings or Boom-Boom/Pom-Pom cannot? Both are a group of goons with extremely predictable and telegraphed patterns and both use mechs to fight and they barely change their patterns after getting hit.

SiFi said:
Madam Broodal might actually mark the end of Honey Queen/PGP-style roster choices. They were grasping at straws for heavy characters, but now that they've got her there's no need for that.
Madam Broodal is right around a "Honey Queen"-style roster choice...

Honey Queen was restricted to one world and had a rather long absence before her inclusion in MK7. Madame Broodal was directly involved in Oddyssey's story and if she's in a spinoff game I feel like it won't be as long for her as it had been for HQ.

Well, that begs the question, if you need to be directly involved in a previous game's story and you need to be in a relatively recent game to be "viable", why do we have things like R.O.B., Funky Kong, Toadette, and Baby Daisy?

But who knows, maybe Madame Broodal can be the next Petey Piranha that is playable for the next forty games and then mysteriously stop being playable after the 42nd game. And Cappy be the next Toadsworth and be a semi-Toad replacement until the next Mario & Luigi game where its fallout wipes his existence off the Mushroom Universe.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Well, that begs the question, if you need to be directly involved in a previous game's story and you need to be in a relatively recent game to be "viable", why do we have things like R.O.B., Funky Kong, Toadette, and Baby Daisy?

I think that's more just the general trend, and (Only focussing on Mario Kart here) Bowser Jr., Petey Piranha, King Boo, Rosalina and Cat Peach all seem to follow the "Recently included" thing. At least Toadette has a better reason than the other lot, as Toad needed a partner, so she filled in, while the other ones were really just slot wasters.

BBQ Turtle said:
LeftyGreenMario said:

I think that's more just the general trend, and (Only focussing on Mario Kart here) Bowser Jr., Petey Piranha, King Boo, Rosalina and Cat Peach all seem to follow the "Recently included" thing. At least Toadette has a better reason than the other lot, as Toad needed a partner, so she filled in, while the other ones were really just slot wasters.

Don't you dare insult R.O.B!

I'm fine with one of them on the select screen and the others in a drop-down (the way I also want the Koopalings handled, and they can retain their unique animations, voices and stats). I think Cappy is more likely for an Odyssey-specific character, and Pauline definitely.

I'd enjoy playing as Rango.

King Antasma said:
I'm fine with one of them on the select screen and the others in a drop-down (the way I also want the Koopalings handled, and they can retain their unique animations, voices and stats).
This is more an UI thing, and quite honestly, the UI is pretty much the least of the work. As you surely know, every character comes with a model, a set of sprites for HUD and UI, a full animation set and a bank of voice clips at least - very often personal stats as well and in some cases even specific textures for props such as vehicles, tennis rackets et al. or lines of dialogue.

If they could add the Broodals without interfering with the rest of the roster, I would not be displeased, as Rango being a tall, thin, old looking guy is pretty interesting for me, I find that Hariet has funny animations as well. I think Madame Broode might be more likely simply because she's one so you don't get the usual "why did you choose the Broodal X instead of Y? I'd rather have Y!" discussions.

Still, looking at what happened in MK8 and looking at the rosters of other HD era games as well, I'm not holding my breath for many SMO characters to be introduced, and at this point you should know what character from SMO beside Pauline (who is from Donkey Kong, lol) I'd rather have in the spin-offs...

I still think the Broodals as cameos in SMO-themed sections of games (or you know, in the moon) might be nice, especially if they develop their trait of being wedding planners.

Pretty much what Mister Wu said. Compressing the characters into a single dropdown menu does not compress development time whatsoever and in fact, only complicates the UI for players even further, needlessly saying. These characters are all uniquely designed individuals with different skeletons, and whenever someone suggests that idea, I think there's completely nothing to gain from this.

i like how many Mario Kart newcomers rotate and stop being playable in games and MK itself at some point ...

meanwhile Rosalina flawlessly keeps appearing in all games, even in the GPDX arcade game.

Graphic description of said statement:

DxGx9Pe.png

y6TQYaX.png

As for the main topic itself. I wouldn't like the Broodals in MK at all, i think that the Koopalings were enough on that when it comes to ''lets waste slots''.

Specially not that fat rabbid that has the chain chomp. Ugh no.

Hey now, don't be fat shamin.

yur gonna hurt the poor hag's woman's feelins!

I dislike the term slot wasters. Like, there isn't a specific numbers of characters in a mk game they can had as much characters as they want or can. Also the Koopalings aren't slot wasters. I really dislike them but they're all unique and popular, it was logical to add them in the game. As for the broodals I think they could be cool in mk since some of them are quite original like Madame Broode and Rango. But if one broodal is added then the other are too and I'm ok with that.

My problem for the Koopalings was that they were there but other key characters weren't including Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong and while people like to point at Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach for wasting resources, it's really the Koopalings that ate most of the resources that could've been used for Bowser Jr. and Diddy. But then, we get Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario which are... odd additions.

I also don't like seeing Koopalings take up space in so many races. Geez.

LeftyGreenMario said:
My problem for the Koopalings was that they were there but other key characters weren't including Bowser Jr. and Diddy Kong and while people like to point at Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach for wasting resources, it's really the Koopalings that ate most of the resources that could've been used for Bowser Jr. and Diddy. But then, we get Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario which are... odd additions.

I also don't like seeing Koopalings take up space in so many races. Geez.
Can't agree with the second part, but I strongly suspect the first part is spot-on, as the interview with the director suggested that. Adding all seven proved to be too much work for the team, and they needed like three years to fix most (and not even all) of the holes created.
It must be said that this is more a problem of the modern Nintendo's approach to the Koopalings: while in the late '90s they didn't have any problem in releasing books with just one, two or three of them or featuring Ludwig more than the others, as they were indeed considered each individual characters and thus not all the same, the current Nintendo tends to focus more on the group and thus the idea of adding first the basics - such as Wendy and Ludwig/Larry, with Lemmy being the third candidate as he's the only lightest character who is not a baby - and then gradually adding the others in the following games or through DLC wasn't much considered.
While this in principle might be a good idea to avoid creating tensions among fans, it simply isn't feasible in the HD era, where seven characters each with their own skeleton, animation set, and so on are a huge toll on the development team. The SSB4 approach of the same body proportions and pretty much the same animations clearly ended up being pretty awful and pointless: they have their own appearance and in the past they clearly used to be individual characters, not just reskin of a character who actually came much later.

So, as a tl;dr, I think a gradual approach that didn't impact the core roster and also made them being considered individual characters would have been preferable.

As a side note, since the Koopalings were introduced well before Super Mario Kart and, while they might not even remotely have the relevance they had in the '90s, they still are considered main characters of the Super Mario series in the Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. I think the idea of their inclusion in the Mario Kart series was appropriate and I liked it a lot. Still, I think they were handled so badly in all these years that at the moment I don't find a better approach to properly add them. Starting acknowledging that they are individual characters would at least be a start.

Nintendo in Mario Kart 8 should let us choose our CPU opponents in VS mode in the first place. My god why is their VS mode devoid of options to toggle on and off?

Mister Wu said:
The SSB4 approach of the same body proportions and pretty much the same animations clearly ended up being pretty awful and pointless: they have their own appearance and in the past they clearly used to be individual characters, not just reskin of a character who actually came much later.

You know what the best part is?

The Koopalings had unique bone-structures in SSB4, rather than leaving some bones unused (like in Wario's case too, where overalls Wario had completely unique bones...personally, I don't see the point in creating two separate bone structures when you can just leave some bones unused but I digress). If you try modding a slot over Lemmy, if you want to copy the mod specifically from Lemmy's lot over Koopaling slots, you have to copy his bone data (model.vbn) to other slots because otherwise he would t-pose.

Oh and it looks like a horrible fan-made mod from the beginning. The difference is, the people who made the Koopalings are professionals who are paid for this shit, and that's what irks me the most.

Uncle Amiibo for Smash 5 tbh

He could attack based on amiibo you put down. For example, putting down Pikachu amiibo in battle would give him electric attacks.

Uncle Amiibo < Madame Meeber

If there is another Double Dash game, H. Queen and Madame Broode should totally be partners.

The thing with the koopalings is that there are seven of them, and they're usually pretty samey. They could make some of the koopalings more distinct, but that would be strange, with some recieving more limelight than others.

I mean, the friggin' show did a better job at making the Koopalings more distinct from each other. I'm sure the games can do a better job.

I'd also say furries but that'd include Broodals.

Back