Should future Mario games have customizable outfits

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
I think since Super Mario Odyssey does have character customization in some form with its different outfits, I think it should happen in future Mario games. It can also appear in a future Super Mario Run update and the next main Mario game.

I really want it to work similar to Mega Man Powered Up on PSP where Roll had different costumes and whatnot to switch into when playing as her. It should also be for Peach where she can also have customizable hairstyles to choose from along with various outfits such as her current dress, old dress, tennis/golf outfit, sports outfit, kimono and others out there.

It seems like a good idea and I'm fine with that.

Of course. Imagine Mario and co. dressed up in their western gear from Mario Party 2 in a modern Mario Party, it would be awesome.

Yes and no. I'm experimenting with alternate costumes in my game and, while I'm certainly not as experienced as the people at Nintendo, it is difficult to make sure all the sprites work together and make things "flow" correctly (this is probably the reason why we have yet to see Luigi in the game). Definitely a neat thing to have, but aside from the various power-up pallets, costumes should probably stick to side games like the aforementioned Mario Party (seriously, bring that back!).

costumes are far from the hardest thing to make. I can probably make a costume for Mario myself if I wanted to and had the devotion and money, so there's that.

I'm not sure what mean you mean by "make sure all the sprites work together"

300px-MSSBabyLuigiRBI.png

Yes.

Trunks Mario said:
costumes are far from the hardest thing to make. I can probably make a costume for Mario myself if I wanted to and had the devotion and money, so there's that.

I'm not sure what mean you mean by "make sure all the sprites work together"

No, costumes aren't difficult to create at all. Most of the time it's a simple pallet swap.

By making them work together, that's probably just a complication I'm having with making my game work the way I want it to, idk :P

Yes absolutely. Costumes + multiple playable characters woyld be amazing, especially if there were unique costumes for each character.

Alex95 said:
No, costumes aren't difficult to create at all. Most of the time it's a simple pallet swap.

That depends on the game. On 3D games that use high poly models, you need to create new models for the character. It's still nowhere on the same level as creating a character, though, since modelers create dozens of props per day anyway.

Back