Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story vs. Superstar Saga + Minion Quest

Which is the best game?

• Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA or 3DS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

• Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

• Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

• Minion Quest: The Search for Bowser

• Mario Party: The Top 100

• Total voters

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
Okay, so my first :mario: & :luigi: game was Dream Team. I got it when I was 11 on Christmas 2015. It was an amazing game (contrary to what some other people think). The next year we got Paper Jam, although honestly, it wasn't as good. For quite a few months now I've wanted Bowser's Inside Story. I researched a lot about this game (while avoiding most spoilers), and I watched the intro and saw Bowser's first quote (okay, second quote). It made me really feel bad for :bowser:. I also love its music and think it has the best Mario music ever. It looks as if Nintendo could not do any better.

But here's the point. At Nintendo's E3 conference this year, they announced a 3DS remake of Superstar Saga, plus a new game bundled with it called Minion Quest. Suddenly Bowser's Inside Story has some competition. I see that it has a lot of funny scenes (particularly "Mario Jumps Out of the Shower"). I also am excited about Minion Quest.

So I looked up ranks of Mario & Luigi games. I found that the most popular order was 1. Superstar Saga/Bowser's Inside Story; 3. Dream Team; 4. Paper Jam; 5. Partners in Time. Thing is, that doesn't help me decide. So here's the million-dollar question: can someone with similar opinions to me (DT is better than PJ and DT is awesome) tell me which is better? And let me know if you prefer Partners in Time; I just find that to be the least popular game.

The thing is, I want to limit the games on my wishlist (for both my birthday AND Christmas because they're so close) to 2, and currently Mario Party: The Top 100 has taken one of those spots. If you think that this game is not worthy of my wishlist, please let me know. I just want to know which of these three games is superior.

Personally I prefer PIT over PJ as well, but SSS and BIS make up my top 2, I'd say Superstar Saga has the edge and it also establishes a certain character who goes on to have a big role in Bowser's Inside Story. I think you should start with Superstar Saga, probably the original unless the DT engine appeals to you enough (the remake has a few changes that make details less interesting than they were in the GBA game but as far as the main game is concerned it's still good enough IMO). Minion Quest might be a bit confusing if you've not played future games though. It's inconsistent in the plot department and sometimes seems to really grasp hard to tie itself into the original plot.

My personal favorite is Partners in Time so whatever.

DT is last on this list for me. Why? What makes it last is what makes it E10+. I do realize that two of the greatest games of all time are rated E10+, but what makes them E10+ doesn't affect them. PiT didn't appeal to me as the others. PJ is a good game, but compare to the top two, has no competition. BT slightly edges out SS, but I wondering if the remake will beat it or not. I have to play it. And unless you are a Mario Party fan, I seeing others on your userpage that seem better to get.

Yoshi the SSM said:
Why? What makes it last is what makes it E10+. I do realize that two of the greatest games of all time are rated E10+, but what makes them E10+ doesn't affect them.

idk I think having content that isn't appropriate for 8 year olds is a strong contender for making them great.

I'm being facetious in case you couldn't tell.

Yoshi the SSM said:
DT is last on this list for me. Why? What makes it last is what makes it E10+.
Do you agree with ESRB, an independent and subjective age rating board, E10+ rating and would it bother you if I told you the game is rated 3+ in PEGI (E equivalent) A in Japan (E equivalent) and L in Brazil (E equivalent)?

I prefer Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story over Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, though Superstar Saga is still a good game, the remake will probably be slightly better but I don't think it'll top BIS imo. What do you like in the Mario & Luigi game? I think Paper Jam is better than Dream Team so we might like different things.

Yoshi the SSM said:
DT is last on this list for me. Why? What makes it last is what makes it E10+.
Eh, why? I don't see what that's got to do with anything.

Really depends what is suited for you. I consider each game a bit of a different breed much like the Battle Network series, and Dream Team will somewhat throw you off from trying others. Obviously you might not like Partner's in Time for its wacky plot for time travel, or the linear path that it takes compared to that Of the first game. Bowser's Inside Story is also a game where Bowser is the main land traveler, and the brothers take on a more classic appeal that is much like Super Paper Mario.

But if you want something that is pretty polished, go with Bowser's Inside Story, since it won't normally disappoint you quickly. Or wear you out. Especially if you like Bowser, and a proper giant boss battle that feels a bit easier to work with that doesn't take too long to get the hang of.

If you want something that is a bit more trying around ideas, then Partner's in Time. I feel like that game is very experimenting in terms of play style, and also the bosses can be very hard and elongated from time to time. Some things might annoy you too, just a far warning and some uses of recycling of puzzles.

Paper Jam I can't give since I never played it, so sorry about that.

If I would recommend, there are some Let's plays that explain some elements that might intrigue you, so it might give you an idea what you exactly want.

IMO the remake doesn't add too much to the series so if you ever have an opportunity to take Superstar Saga, the original, for less, play the original instead.

I don't think my opinion 's particularly fair, but I would go with Bowser's Inside Story, what with it being the greatest game of all time and all.

I love Superstar Saga, but if you're going to get it, I highly recommend finding some way to pick up the original. If you can't, then I'd choose Bowser's Inside Story (which is my favorite one anyway)

Hang on... so the original Superstar Saga is better than the 3DS version? I thought the only downside to the 3DS version was that it only has two save files instead of three. I'm so confused! I can get the original using Wii U VC, but I thought the 3DS version was an upgrade, not a downgrade. So the GBA version is better than Bowser's Inside Story, and that game is better than the 3DS version? Maybe better conclusions can be made about the 3DS version next week when it's released.

Technically the 3DS version is an improvement. There are small things purposefully changed that make small details less interesting but most of it is faithfully updated. The biggest issue is that the SSS side of things is mostly exactly that--- the GBA game in the 3DS engine, not much new content. Minion Quest is where the new content is, but I think while on its own it's fun and has a good story, I don't think they should've put it on the same timeline as SSS since it just opens up more conflicts in a 13 year old story that resolved itself perfectly well.

It's up to you whether to play the original or remake, but I would recommend playing a version of Superstar Saga before moving on (and probably play PIT as well before BIS, though that's not the order I did, you can't go wrong playing em in chronological order)

Personally I'd skip Minion Quest until after BIS though, just so your perception of SSS's plot isn't more convoluted than what existed when PIT and BIS came out and referenced.

Wow, new discovery: Paper Jam disappointed me in terms of play time because Dream Team is the only long M&L game! (Don't get me wrong, I like Paper Jam a lot, but my review of the game doesn't really fit here.) If play time is the only factor, Dream Team might be the best one!
Average Play Times for M&L games:
Superstar Saga: 20 hours
Partners in Time: 19 hours
Bowser's Inside Story: 24 hours
Dream Team: 44 hours (took me 65 hours, 85 hours on Hard Mode!)
Paper Jam: 301/2 hours (took me about 35 hours)

So far, however, I've come to these conclusions:
Superstar Saga is the original and most centered on comedy.
Partners in Time is the shortest and involves time travel. Involves two independent and two dependent characters.
Bowser's Inside Story involves being inhaled by Bowser and first to include three independent characters.
Dream Team is the longest (by far) and involves going into Luigi's dreams. Involves three independent characters.
Paper Jam involves Paper Mario and the other paper characters, lacks Paper Luigi (except in jukebox), and involves three independent characters, controlled simultaneously.

These conclusions are not final, however, as we really need to wait for another week. FYI, the poll's guaranteed to stay open at least for two more weeks.

IDK how familiar you are with Paper Mario but Paper Jam also suffers from certain restrictions that limited the creativity of Sticker Star (in fact assets for Paper characters are almost exclusively taken from that game)

I just think that's worth pointing out, since I find it to be the biggest thing holding that game back. I also like Dream Team's length but some people consider it too long and boring at parts.

The Once-ler said:
IDK how familiar you are with Paper Mario but Paper Jam also suffers from certain restrictions that limited the creativity of Sticker Star (in fact assets for Paper characters are almost exclusively taken from that game)

I just think that's worth pointing out, since I find it to be the biggest thing holding that game back. I also like Dream Team's length but some people consider it too long and boring at parts.

Dream Team does have some eye candy moments, give it that with the giant battles but it is pretty rememberable with the music and aesthetics with the dream sequences. I say that is a good game to get as well since it does build some character around how much Luigi dearly cares for his brother, and some moments were really breathetaking. Also Antasma is a nice throwback to a Cackletta themed like villain, so there is there is that as well.

The Once-ler said:

I actually have only played Color Splash in the Paper Mario series, and it was a pretty good game. Honestly, though, it wasn't as good as Dream Team. Probably the best games I've played are Dream Team and Super Mario Galaxy 2. My biggest problem with Paper Jam is
the wreckage of the Doop Doop Dunes-Bowser's Castle bridge. The game gained twenty-five unnecessary hours from that incident, and the bridge is never repaired. The only way to reach a Toad Village was to go back through the long dungeon. Another problem is that the game's Mushroom Kingdom map and Doop Doop Dunes signpost never adjusts after the incident. Honestly, they needed to find another way to lengthen the game.
But like I said in an earlier post, my review of this game is for another place.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Wow, new discovery: Paper Jam disappointed me in terms of play time because Dream Team is the only long M&L game! (Don't get me wrong, I like Paper Jam a lot, but my review of the game doesn't really fit here.) If play time is the only factor, Dream Team might be the best one!
you shouldn't judge games solely on play time. As far as I know, Dream Team has a ton of padding in form of tutorials and fetch quests that lead to fetch quests that lead to a fetch quest, sso that 50 hour play time makes it seem like it has the content to back it up. In my opinion, it doesn't.

Trunks Mario said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
you shouldn't judge games solely on play time. As far as I know, Dream Team has a ton of padding in form of tutorials and fetch quests that lead to fetch quests that lead to a fetch quest, sso that 50 hour play time makes it seem like it has the content to back it up. In my opinion, it doesn't.
I'm not judging solely on play time; I just said if play time were the only factor. Play time is an important factor, though, in my opinion. Soon enough I will make a Dream Team vs Paper Jam review on my user page. But not now.

why is mario party being compared to Mario RPGs

also I fap to BIS

Did you see my first post?
Daryl Dixon said:
why is mario party being compared to Mario RPGs
Honestly, if you read my first post here, I just don't really want two games of the same sort at the same time. But I'll have to wait until November to really be sure about Mario Party 100.

Regarding the 3DS vs GBA version of SSS, I think the GBA SSS has a stronger personality, as seen in the facial expressions and in the greater variety of character designs; some boss battles seem improved in the remake, but I would probably start with GBA SSS, go with PiT and end in BIS so you see how the series developed, MQ you can play after playing those as I find it a bit "forced" - it's shown all the time to be a movie shown in the Yoshi Theater yet it is shown as being a prequel to the other games of the series with a focus on Fawful and references to BIS and even one to PiT just because - is the Mario & Luigi series a series of movies shown at the Yoshi Theater?

Back