Solar Eclipse 2017 - here it comes boys

Man I had an amazing view. I learned later that I had a 99% eclipse, so not total, but pretty damn close. I have pics, but they are terrible quality but I will still upload them here later.

The corona is magical.

it was covered in fucking clouds

i just said fuck it and went back to sleep

Me and my family drove about two hours to get into the 100% zone. We watched as the sun got more and more covered by the moon. When the eclipse was close to being total, the light began to get dimmer while there were still shadows. This continued until it suddenly got as dark as dusk when it reached totality. The shadows started shimmering, probably because of how heat shimmers. It was dark as dusk and there was an orange ring around the moon, which is called the corona. I could even see a few stars, and remember that this was at 1:30 PM. Just as suddenly as it had started, everything began to get brighter and the totality was over. It was a very cool experience, because I've never seen anything like that before.

Luigi 64DD said:
Me and my family drove about two hours to get into the 100% zone. We watched as the sun got more and more covered by the moon. When the eclipse was close to being total, the light began to get dimmer while there were still shadows. This continued until it suddenly got as dark as dusk when it reached totality. The shadows started shimmering, probably because of how heat shimmers. It was dark as dusk and there was an orange ring around the moon, which is called the corona. I could even see a few stars, and remember that this was at 1:30 PM. Just as suddenly as it had started, everything began to get brighter and the totality was over. It was a very cool experience, because I've never seen anything like that before.
I'm glad you got to see it. I feel sorry for anyone who did all of what you did only to see some clouds.
All that really happened where I live was it just got barely dark enough to fool the wildlife into thinking that it was late afternoon right before dusk and there were a few times where the clouds were clear enough for me to put on my eclipse glasses and see the sun partially covered. It was still cool nonetheless.
I hope that the 2024 one will not be covered in clouds.

T-15 minutes, and clouds were threatening the eclipse. So I made a rational decision and hit the highway and drove in the direction of no clouds for ten minutes. Made it to a random exit off the highway where we could see perfectly.

There aren't really words to describe it. I mean, yeah, it looks like the pictures you've probably seen of an eclipse. But there's other things: like how in the minutes before and after the eclipse, the entire world looks like you're viewing it through sunglasses. If you're watching through the solar glasses, you can see the sun become a slimmer and slimmer crescent, until it finally winks out.

The corona is breathtaking. In a span of around thirty seconds the entire sky turns to twilight. You can see planets appear (Jupiter and Venus were incredibly bright). Around you the horizon turns a dull red, as if the sun is setting on all sides. Then, almost as suddenly as it started, there's a flash on the edge of the corona, and the sun returns.

Absolutely stunning. Everyone needs to experience this once in their life.

Muntic0re said:
i don't understand why everyone so excited about some eclipse
It's a cool celestial event that only happens rarely. You kinda had to be in the path of totality to really experience it, but it was still cool. Nature is awesome dude.

Muntic0re said:

I mean, all it really is is the moon casting a shadow on the Earth. However, you know that it's a very stark lucky coincidence that the moon's shape and distance from the Earth is exactly the size and distance for a perfect image of the moon having a brilliant corona during the time? Also, solar eclipses don't happen every month, like how lunar eclipses don't happen every month, mostly because of the angular orbit of the moon, rather than it being a perfect plane around the Earth, and this being a total one covering the sun is indeed a rare sight. Also unlike total lunar eclipses, where anyone on the Earth can see them provided they're at night at the right time and weather conditions provide, only a small narrow slit of the Earth can see total solar eclipses, and the next total solar eclipse in the continental US will happen in April 8, 2024.

Muntic0re said:
it's cool witnessing dusk for a brief moment at an otherwise bright and sunny afternoon

they don't happen very often and happen only in very specific locations; in most cases you have to travel through airplane

if you don't understand the appeal, try going outside for the next lunar eclipse just for once

Back