Which game do you feel is the ugliest?

SiFi said:
On a more serious note, Super Mario RPG. Most of the elements exclusive to that game just look so out of place

iconic mario character

Belome_SMRPG.png

Glowsquid said:
calling the GBA "SNES-level" is ridiculously wrong

Don't know why nintendo would choose to make a SNES-level console (even if it was a handheld and had more technical limitations as opposed to home consoles) when they already had the Gamecube which was much more powerful, and essentially went back 10 years in terms of technical evolution.

one device sold 81 millions and the other sold 22 millions. Hint: it's not the Gamecube.
My bad, The GBA may have been more advanced than the SNES (32 bit vs 16 bit), but the games were nowhere close to the 64 which is why I called it "SNES level". Even though maybe the more proper term would be in between SNES and N64 but that wasn't my point. Also comparing handheld sales to console sales is again, like comparing apples to oranges as more people (in the gamer market as a whole) will buy handhelds because they are cheaper and more convienent than home consoles. The DS for example, sold over 50 million more units than the Wii (even though it came out two years before the Wii it is safe to say it would still overtake sales of the Wii even if it came out at the same time), even though the Wii was considered revolutionary when it came out and was in high demand. :boshi:

Boshi said:
more people (in the gamer market as a whole) will buy handhelds because they are cheaper and more convienent than home consoles

something should've lighted up after writing that sentence

I don't know what you're talking about. Sorry :boshi:

Boshi said:
Additionally, i hate the graphics on most Game Boy Advance titles. Don't know why nintendo would choose to make a SNES-level console (even if it was a handheld and had more technical limitations as opposed to home consoles) when they already had the Gamecube which was much more powerful, and essentially went back 10 years in terms of technical evolution.

Boshi said:
Also comparing handheld sales to console sales is again, like comparing apples to oranges as more people (in the gamer market as a whole) will buy handhelds because they are cheaper and more convienent than home consoles.

Do you see it now?

I realized that. Based off that fact I just said that you shouldn't compare consoles to handheld systems' sales to measure their popularity because handhelds are always going to sell more. :boshi:

Superstar Saga, for all it's charm, has some awful sprites. But then again, they do seem to add to the aesthetic, so it could go either way.

I also don't like Superstar Saga's aesthetics all that much but there is a "so ugly it's cute" kind of charm to them.

Fifteen million years late but just remember that SM64'S Bowser's eyes were originally gonna be blue.
SM64_Bowser%27s_Beta_Eye.png

They changed his eyes to green red and now Bowser's ruined forever. :mad:

I know Yoshi's Island DS has been mentioned for its bad sprite work, but I remember trying to manually recolor the Yoshi sprite in paint years ago. Shading inconsistencies and color banding HAS been pointed out, but I like to bring more examples.

RedYoshi_YIDS.png

https://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/5/4875.gif

It turns out that the contrast in the shadows is really bad. The Yoshi sprite in general has very little shadow contrast, at least in the skin. The white part of the Yoshi has more of a contrast going on, but it's jarring that the skin's shadows are so faint, it looks like one color. It doesn't help that other sprites in Yoshi's Island DS have more shading contrast so the shading in general is very inconsistent. Take Nep-Enut, and also, its shading is extremely lazy. There is no illusion that the form is 3D. Kind of defeats the point of shading, doesn't it?

Nep-Enut_DS.png

But then, a similar enemy, but smaller, gets a different ruleset for shading. Here, the shadow actually seems to wrap the form and even the mouth has shading going on. Also, the red contrasts more sharply here and clashes with the Red Yoshi sprite.

CoBlargg.png

I also don't understand why some enemies have banded shading like the Nep-Enut, but then, you also get things like Gobblin, where the shading style is... more elaborate. The shading is better here, but there is a weird illusion of smoother shading going on here, and that completely conflicts with the harsh bands of the Nep-Enut and both still are inconsistent with Yoshi

Gobblin.PNG

The shading is so inconsistent, it looks like Yoshi's Island DS was made by several different artists who were unaware they were working on the same game.

Trunks Mario said:
I know Yoshi's Island DS has been mentioned for its bad sprite work, but I remember trying to manually recolor the Yoshi sprite in paint years ago. Shading inconsistencies and color banding HAS been pointed out, but I like to bring more examples.

RedYoshi_YIDS.png

https://www.spriters-resource.com/resources/sheets/5/4875.gif

It turns out that the contrast in the shadows is really bad. The Yoshi sprite in general has very little shadow contrast, at least in the skin. The white part of the Yoshi has more of a contrast going on, but it's jarring that the skin's shadows are so faint, it looks like one color. It doesn't help that other sprites in Yoshi's Island DS have more shading contrast so the shading in general is very inconsistent. Take Nep-Enut, and also, its shading is extremely lazy. There is no illusion that the form is 3D. Kind of defeats the point of shading, doesn't it?

Nep-Enut_DS.png

But then, a similar enemy, but smaller, gets a different ruleset for shading. Here, the shadow actually seems to wrap the form and even the mouth has shading going on. Also, the red contrasts more sharply here and clashes with the Red Yoshi sprite.

CoBlargg.png

I also don't understand why some enemies have banded shading like the Nep-Enut, but then, you also get things like Gobblin, where the shading style is... more elaborate. The shading is better here, but there is a weird illusion of smoother shading going on here, and that completely conflicts with the harsh bands of the Nep-Enut and both still are inconsistent with Yoshi

Gobblin.PNG

The shading is so inconsistent, it looks like Yoshi's Island DS was made by several different artists who were unaware they were working on the same game.

This game I have my hateful resent towards. And it is even odder that the creator of designing Sonic had worked on this game, yet allowed such artwork to be pass off as okay. Few occasions I felt some sprites would blend, or plainly look jagged in my honest opinion.

It felt like they rebrand by looking off the style, then when they did something entirely new, it felt like they just went with the most laziest shading they could possibly achieve.

Of course I hated it when some games during that era did these really potato quality 3D models that looked so gritty, it made me wonder why they haven't learned anything proper from seeing Rare doing it back in the day, or any other game using that technology at the time.

Yet, here I am, complaining about the early 00s DS games that left some awful taste in my mouth.

I still like the Baby Mario and Baby Luigi sprites in that game.

Trunks Mario said:
I think the environments in Super Mario 64 are fine. It's just that Bowser looks horrible.

20110511214520%21BowserintheDarkWorldFight.png

I always thought that model looked awkwardly cute.

YES I KNOW IM WEIRD loool

but i just dont know , his head is so big , he looks like something fluffy pretending to be tough and angry ... idk lol

I think what amuses me most is how flat the area above his nose is and that his eyes and eyebrows just sort of, curl around the flatness.

i mean yeah ... but im also the same person that thinks Baby Bowser barking in Yoshi story was cute lol

i need a doctor.

dont worry, there are people here who need one more than you

*glares at literally everyone who posts in Marioverse*

Swiftie_Luma said:
i mean yeah ... but im also the same person that thinks Baby Bowser barking in Yoshi story was cute lol

i need a doctor.

Eh, lots of people find Bowser cute no matter what he looks like or what he's doing so it's nothing to be diagnosed over.

Magikrazy said:
dont worry, there are people here who need one more than you

*glares at literally everyone who posts in Marioverse*

I'll prescribe you a medication of death.

Back