Miyamoto mentions possbility of Yoshi anime

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
When asked about the possibility of Kirby Right Back At Ya on Bluray(Finally, a investor who knows what gamers actually want) Miyamoto provided a interesting answer
https://twitter.com/cvxfreak/status/880249885315833858

We want to make anime for Pikmin, Star Fox, Yoshi, etc. and distribute it freely, or integrate into games.

A thing to note that all three of the mentioned properties already had animes in terms of shorts and generally match up to his later statement, so don't take this as a outright confirmation that any of them are happening

But it could be cool if it happens, Yoshi tone isn't really what most people think when they think of anime, so it could be a refreshing spin on things.
The later statement might imply it will not be on TV but rather distributed by Nintendo themselves in some other form

It would be great if they made a new Mario cartoon. I'd love to see a 3D animated one.

Listening to Yoshi in the games is already bad enough. I can't imagine listening to that horrible creature for an entire episode.

A Mario anime would be nice, though. The most material we have is some children's phone-thing based on Super Mario World and the Super Mario Amada, the one where Mario is raised by Hammer Bros. and the Hammer Bro. gives Mario a gun and Mario (and his other friends) later threatens Bowser at gunpoint.

I'd like to see more of something like this

UkIUY3z.gif

The other anime sound good, too. I don't think any of them are bad, not even Yoshi (it's just my personal bias).

I know you're joking, but as much as I'd want one, a Smash anime would be as convoluted as hell. I don't know if there is any anime where 50+ characters demand screentime. Or, is there going to be a focus on any select characters? I think if there was a focus, it'd be Mario, Link, Kirby, and Pikachu. It's always those four people who are first. The beginning cutscene of Smash 64, near the end where you see all characters jumping and hitting each other, those four are the first two pairs. In Melee, you also see those four engage right at the beginning of the opening, before it cuts to Peach. In Brawl's reveal, it's very prominently those four you first see. In Smash 4, when Mario's all in a fiery ball, who immediately follows are Link, Pikachu, and Kirby in that order (though in the Wii U part, Kirby is after some characters).

Eh, I'm going off in a tangent, but I can dream, no?

I think what miyamoto calls an "anime" differs slightly from what we call an anime, but whatever sounds good.

At best I'd expect another short film or OVA.

It should be noted that Yoshi, Pikmin and StarFox have shorts, which is probably what's being referred here. Yoshi had the Woolly World shorts, Pikmin had those shorts that are also rendered in 3D or HD (that you need to buy for the 3DS or Wii U eShop respectively), and then there's StarFox where the animated sequence was used to promote the game before its release. So, I imagine what is being referred here is not necessarily future efforts to continue these, but it could involve other properties, like hopefully a new Donkey Kong animated series.

In any case, I wonder how well an animated series would do if it were to be exclusive to video formats (DVD, BluRay, etc.) compared to airing them normally. There's also a higher chance of piracy when the show exists in some digital form.

Thank you for reading.

In all honesty, if they made a TV series with Yoshi, I would much rather have more Yoshi and Poochy Woolly World shorts. Those things were the best.

I wouldn't mind a Star Fox anime in the same style as that short though. A Pikmin anime doesn't seem that appealing tbh.

Why the hell would Yoshi receive one of those before Mario, or hell, even Wario?

well it's not like mario's never had an anime before

besides, Yoshi anime means the chance for Baby Mario bros. to appear, including your boy Luigi

That one was obscure and had limited distribution. Seems like this anime would be for a global audience instead of strictly Japan.

There are quite a few charming slice-of-life animes out there, such as Interviews with Monster Girls, that I think could work pretty well with Yoshi or even Mario, with a few one-off adventurous a episodes.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I'd like to see more of something like this

UkIUY3z.gif

W-WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS?! WHY WAS THIS [apparently] NEVER A THING IN AMERICA?! AND WHY IS IT NOT AN ONGOING SERIES?!

Errrr, anyways... A Yoshi anime would probably have the Yoshis translated to English so the audience wouldn't be reading subs all the time. Ideally, I'd want it to look like a 2017 version of that incredible GIF above, and be based on Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island; with later seasons eventually delving into the main Super Mario series! What I anticipate though, is simple stuff based on Yoshi's Wooly World, a.k.a. the general consensus in this thread.

Hopefully Yoshi would actually speak more proper English than in the old cartoons. In-game dialogue proves he can talk.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Hopefully Yoshi would actually speak more proper English than in the old cartoons. In-game dialogue proves he can talk.

Please no. They already humanised Yoshi enough.

If a Yoshi TV series ever did get planned, perhaps it would take a page from the Pink Panther; no actual dialog used.

If Yoshi were to talk, I'd rather Yoshi sound like a person rather than this... thing in the games and cartoons, both of them incomprehensible incredibly annoying gibberish. And also don't make the character a one-note annoying idiot whose only personality trait is being a glutton, which Yoshi usually is in both media.

memoryman3 said:
J-Yoshi64 said:

Please no. They already humanised Yoshi enough.

Making Yoshi talk would be a huge step up over whatever fart noise this thing is emitting from its oral cavity.

Unless his voice actor is like, annoying like in the cartoon or Jar Jar Binks or something. Still a step up, though.

Back