Puyo Puyo

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
No, not the sounds Kirby makes, the games! (Which ironically is the first place Kirby talked ... and then revealed his really rude side)
tumblr_nbxaszu2Ri1s3t1x1o1_400.png

Puyo Puyo is a match 3 puzzle game, inspired by the likes of Tetris and Dr. Mario, so what makes it stand out from other puzzle games? Personalty and characters! The Puyos themselves are cute little blobs with eyes, you almost feel bad for matching them, everything in this game is super cute!
And it's got witty humor to go with it, here's one of my favorite exchanges:
tumblr_o11gjmnJqk1r6o0zfo1_1280.png

Probably due to "Girls have cooties" syndrome, the games hardly make it over as they are in Japan, either transformed into Dr. Robotink's Mean Bean Machine, Kirby's Avalanche or for some reason, unrecognizable, unlikable, grouchy food, but that's starting to change, Puyo is showing up a lot more in the west, and it's can possibly get bigger with the release of Puyo Puyo Tetris!

I've only played Mean Bean Machine, but it was pretty fun. Definitely one of my favorite games in the "match the falling objects" subgenre of puzzle games (Dr. Mario is the other).

I've thought about creating this topic after seeing that WarioForums had one, but I see that you have made this topic, which is great! I love its core concept when I played the western versions (Robotnik and Kirby). When I found out the original that it was based on, I knew that it's one of those games where the characters are lifted from existing properties to make the game more palatable (which is the case of Panel de Pon).

I think that Sega has done a great job with the Puyo Puyo franchise ever since they have taken over. The Game Boy Advance Puyo Pop game was a modest effort, but it's when they branched out to their own style in the form of Fever that they have made their mark within the franchise's timeline. The lack of the older cast was a bummer, but it made the games felt fresh. Every subsequent game has refined the style into something that's cuter and vibrant than the last, cumulating to the style in Puyo Puyo Tetris. It's also great to see some older favourites return, but I hope that Sega isn't obliged to limit the characters to 24 (the series' arc number) in the main games, because this series has a lot of characters in which to choose from, and it would be a shame to have them not return.

Of the game types that I love, it's the Fever mode. Puyo Pop Fever is downright amazing, because it opened my mind to building large chains through the Fever mode, and many of the chains are structured well that makes it efficient. It also features a great way for every character to play differently, making them feel unique apart from just having different attacks. SUN may have attached different personalities to each character, but Fever successfully made each character different in both personality AND playstyle. While they are rare, it's refreshing to see professional Fever matches, instead of the more common Easy matches against CPUs. Puyo Puyo Tetris sadly doesn't have a dedicated Fever mode, which would have made it an essential to me. Still, I would still be getting it on the Switch though, due to Tetris.

Thanks for reading.

Puyo Puyo Tetris' English version is close to release, and so we get to hear the English voice work too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hJqiLXuYlc

I am looking forward to this, because there is something charming about the English voice work in Fever (which I liked). Certainly it's going to be different from that game, but I think this is a very good effort.

I hope that down the road, the game will add more characters as DLC, specifically the ones that got an appearance in Story but never did any battling: Ocean Prince, Onion Pixy, Rider, Ms. Accord, Dongurigaeru and Yu & Rei, especially the first one.

Thanks for reading.

Of the Puyo Puyo games that haven't been released in English between Puyo Pop Fever and Puyo Puyo Tetris, I feel that the most intriguing and mysterious one is Puyo Puyo Fever 2.

The name of the game suggests that it's the sequel to Puyo Pop Fever, and it certainly is. The game takes place in the same place, but the biggest thing about this game is that it expands the setting of the place (Primp Town) that made it feel like it's more realised and alive than before. Puyo Pop Fever for the DS expanded it somewhat by giving the locations names, but that's really it. Here, there are a few locations that can be visited, such as the shop to buy things, or even the playground for any Free Battles.

Not only are there more characters in this game, but each of them have more developed characters. As an example, Onion Pixie was just an Onion monster in the first game, but in this game he has a girlfriend and that girlfriend somehow likes Sig, making him jealous. Another example is Klug, who was just one of Amitie's classmate characterised by his intelligence. In this game, he plays a more central figure in summoning the demon in his book, who went on to possess him. Not only that, another character is introduced, which Klug idolises. Another character was also introduced and would eventually become his archnemesis!

The fact that this game didn't have a complete fan translation, unlike with Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary and Puyo Puyo 7 makes it all the more intriguing since I am most curious on that game's (and subsequently Primp Town's) lore, such as the story behind the book that houses the demon in Klug's book.

Thanks for reading.

I first discovered the puyo puyo series through some tetris attack videos, it was about someone getting a 19 chain (which is max) and I was interested in it, and I played it online and stuff and I loved it!!! (I also played Kirby's Avalanche and mean bean machine) I remember in march 2013, getting puyo puyo fever for the DS and it was one of my most-played games (I lost it unfortunately) When I get a switch, I want to get Puyo Puyo Tetris! What would also be cool is if they make a puyo puyo mario edition (which can technically be done if you use mods in puyo puyo fever on pc)

Also, Sig is my fav in these games, it's puyo's Luigi

Yo, those some good ass games, remember playing them when I was just a young lad

Not as good as Mario, but still part of that good shit, real good games

I have decided to play Puyo Puyo Tetris online a few days ago, and I have to say it can be surprisingly ruthless even when I am starting from the lower ranks! While I am decent at Puyo Puyo, playing Tetris proves to be my weaker point because I am just not so quick at setting up combos.

I hope that Puyo Puyo Tetris isn't a one-off event at bringing Puyo Puyo to the west, because it could easily be assumed that Tetris is the biggest selling point with the crossover. Here's hoping that the next Puyo Puyo game is feasible enough to be brought to the west.

Thank you for reading.

more people in this community need to get puyopuyo tetris

it's a solid package with a lot to do and for a good value

and it has schezo

never really played puyo puyo (apart from a little bit of mean bean machine) until i got puyo puyo tetris on switch
its a fun game, good base gameplay and the story mode has a charming sillyness to it. but i suck at it a lot lol. my brain cant think fast enough to figure out how to use what i get to make proper good chains so rip
i would assume if i practiced a whole bunch i would eventually get better but thats not really something i have a whole lot of time to do unfortunately

Aqua said:
never really played puyo puyo (apart from a little bit of mean bean machine) until i got puyo puyo tetris on switch
its a fun game, good base gameplay and the story mode has a charming sillyness to it. but i suck at it a lot lol. my brain cant think fast enough to figure out how to use what i get to make proper good chains so rip
i would assume if i practiced a whole bunch i would eventually get better but thats not really something i have a whole lot of time to do unfortunately

I would say it's not just practice, but also understanding some setups. For beginners, in Puyo Puyo, one of the simple setups is the Stairs formation, where a 5-chain is easily made and it's easy to play with. The Sandwich formation is also a simple setup that allows one to make a 6-chain easily. Beyond this, the Puyo pieces given to the player have to be used to the fullest, due to the random element. That part definitely is where practice is required.

Thank you for reading.

This is a scan of the timeline for Puyo Puyo in the west:
D4mIM8EW4AAEXHt.jpg

Can you guess which game is not acknowledged at all, outside of non-video game licensed properties like Timon & Pumbaa's Bug Drop?
Kirby's Avalanche (1995)

Thank you for reading.

Sonic Team now makes the new Puyo Puyo games, so there's no copyright issues if Mean Bean Machine is referenced in Puyo Puyo or Sonic.

Shy Guy on Wheels said:
Sonic Team now makes the new Puyo Puyo games, so there's no copyright issues if Mean Bean Machine is referenced in Puyo Puyo or Sonic.
Okay, that makes sense. Didn't know that Sonic Team was in charge of the franchise. Still unfortunate for Avalanche though.

Sega Ages version of Puyo Puyo one is on the eshop, I believe this the first time an unaltered version made it out of Japan, it also has online mode
I wonder if the Ages of Tsu will make it over, though it's possible it will be seen as redundant due to Champions

It's a good thing that the first Puyo Puyo game got to be released without any changes in the entire theme (like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Kirby's Avalanche), but I can't help but feel that Westerners will only be interested if Dr. Robotnik is in the game. After all, to them when they first played a Puyo game, Puyos were beans and the opponent's are Robotnik's minions. Although I guess Carbuncle (or Has Bean to them) muddied things a bit.

Thank you for reading.

Super Puyo Puyo Tsu is coming to Switch online, even outside of Japan, guess that limits the chance of getting the Ages version, oh well, could of sworn Nintendo is still allowed to publish Avalanche, kinda weird

Back