Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
They
MarioWiki
Roserade
Hey friends, so for those of you who are over here in the US, there is a woman's march today that you should definitely come to if possible! While the biggest one is in Washington DC, there are marches all over the United States. I'm heading to one over here on the West Coast. It's just a great way to go out and say "We will stand against hatred of any kind". I highly recommend you attend one today. And, while this was probably obvious, you don't have to be female to attend! Anybody who is against hatred against people of any kind (gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.) should attend. Thank you all!

My twin is going to a woman's march as we speak.

Am I the only one who doesn't like protesting of any kind

idk i always only seem to see the negative side of things

Dr. John H. Watson said:

eh, the nonviolent ones don't bother me per se, but they aren't going to change anything or anyone's mind

Alright, so as this was my first march ever, I'd figure I'd share my thoughts and experiences here.

We arrived at about 10:30, and the march was scheduled to start at twelve. Thankfully, we found an umbrella in the back, and with the hats we had received from a very nice stranger, we were set. So my two sisters, mother, and I all stood in the rain under our umbrellas. At about eleven, a person came up the mic, talked about what this meant to the community, introduced some people, played music, and the such. Then they announced that the march at twelve was a smaller march, and the big one would be at 1:15. While we had read online that it would start at twelve, we didn't know about the 1:15 continuation.

I suppose that before I continue, I should mention that where I live is generally cold as well as rainy. So by the time twelve rolled around, while we weren't as drenched as others due to the umbrella, we were still wet and cold. While we were bobbing up and down to keep up our body heat, a new person came up to the mic at twelve, and we were excited to start.

Then they talked.

And talked.

And talked.

12:15 passed. Then 12:30. Then 12:45.

Apparently the people in charge simply decided it would be okay to push it back to 1:15. People were starting to get pissed, especially the ones who had been out there as long as we had and were drenched. They started chanting, "Let us march! Let us march!" I found the whole idea of chanting against the people who were organizing this ridiculous, but I still getting annoyed as well.

Then the person says there'll be three more speakers.

People start marching on their own out into the streets, and the mic goes quiet. Finally, at 1:15, a final person tells us we could march.

I had fun after, marching arm-in-arm with my family in the street, chanting and holding signs, but in general the entire experience left a bitter taste in my mouth. If I go to another, I pray that people will be calmer and that the organizers will actually inform us on what's going on. I still recommend going out to one if there's one going on in your area, as your experience will probably be a lot better than mine. But yeah. Thanks for reading if you suffered through all of that.

Dr. John H. Watson said:

i mean protesting is what got the us civil rights, and, well, the united states in general

Magikrazy said:
eh, the nonviolent ones don't bother me per se, but they aren't going to change anything or anyone's mind

I don't think that's the point of protests. They're done to unite people socially and express an opinion by exercising their constitutional rights.

To sum up, this was good. The news described it as more "festive" rather than anger and bitterness, though there are indeed elements of these.

Anyhow, my brother and I had trouble with public transportation (it being L.A.), but we eventually made it. The metro was fine at first, but we got off and we waited thirty minutes or so for a bus. Two buses we wanted to get on passed by, but they were packed with people... and it was 10:30 a.m.. So we took an alternate route with the metro and we arrived at a destination, but had to walk the rest of the way because the next ride was so full, there were even notifications that those attending the march had to take a detour. So we just walked. We were confused a bit and walked for over twenty minutes, but we eventually were at the area and boy it was crowded. My brother said that we're walking in history, and I said that it pleased me that so many people are very, very dissatisfied with Trump being president. Anti-Trump protest signs were pretty much everywhere. It ranged from "Love Trumps Hate" to "Pussy Grabs Back" to caricatures of Trump to Cheetos references to "Not my president" to defamatory things spelled as Trump's name to pro-LBGT material to "Nasty Women" to "All Women are perfect" to pictures of uteruses and cats. Of course, we saw a lot of pink hats resembling cat ears. My brother saw "Free Melissa" or something like that and he thought it was stupid, but eh, didn't understand that one.

We attended a rally right outside a detention center in L.A. downtown and they sung a few songs, even criticized the Democratic Party a bit for letting Trump happen, thanks to their corporatist circle-jerking. But I think at that time, my legs were stiff from all that walking, so we went to a Pho restaurant. That was a huge relief. And that was around 4:00 maybe? So my brother decided to go home. It was crowded on the way back as well, but the crowd on the streets thinned a bit.

Such a beautiful day in L.A. to protest! The past few days was raining badly and tomorrow and so will be raining a lot. It was such a wonderful coincidence that this particular day had to be sunny and clear (until later that day) so we could at least not get wet. But even if it rained, I'd still be walking and listening and witnessing.

P.S. BLOF, I saw a lot of pigeons there. At least three pigeons I saw were black and white.

I think "Melissa" might be referring to Melissa Calusinski, a woman convicted of murdering a toddler at the day care she worked at.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't think that's the point of protests. They're done to unite people socially and express an opinion by exercising their constitutional rights.
Fair enough, I've just grown pretty bitter over all of this. While I might not necessarily agree with every protestor, I definitely respect the right to assemble.

I myself am not convinced that Trump will just go "oh whoops sorry ladies you are wonderful" and then do a 180 on pro-women legislation. I, however, am part of the effort to convince Trump that his douchebaggery isn't gonna go without resistance.

Nabber said:
Dr. John H. Watson said:

i mean protesting is what got the us civil rights, and, well, the united states in general

And do you see now where that path led us to?

Baby Luigi said:
Magikrazy said:

yeah honestly seeing this enormous number of people not just in the US but a global united effort echoing the same cry is like...sure, the next 4 years aren't going to be too fantastic any bit, but just knowing that there's this much support, this many people who care, who are active, it helps me get centered when things start looking sketchy

5000 marched here in Melbourne - the other side of the world. I'd be there had this not been game jam weekend. Stay strong, women of America and around the world during these scary times.

I've also been enjoying the signs:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/best-womens-march-signs?bffbmain&ref=bffbmain&utm_term=.rvnQjDvJ5#.ns7Dj2Rrz

Roserade said:
Hey friends, so for those of you who are over here in the US, there is a woman's march today that you should definitely come to if possible! While the biggest one is in Washington DC, there are marches all over the United States. I'm heading to one over here on the West Coast. It's just a great way to go out and say "We will stand against hatred of any kind". I highly recommend you attend one today. And, while this was probably obvious, you don't have to be female to attend! Anybody who is against hatred against people of any kind (gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.) should attend. Thank you all!

I know this was yesterday, but I have 2 questions. 1, if it stands up for all kind of gender, race, and sexual orientation, why is it called the Woman's March? And second of all, is it also for people who think both genders are equal? (I am one of those people)

Salazzle said:
2257 said:
1. "women's march on washington" sounds snappy. "women-and-people-of-color-and-the-lgbt-community's march on washington" sounds stupid
They could call it "Non White Male Cis March on Washington"
That sounds pretty rad, but it's still kinda long and would probably be meaningless to some people.

2257 said:
if you believe that it's a problem for the name of the march to not exhaustively detail everyone who might have a reason to oppose trump, that name doesn't even solve the problem

Now, isn't that a little confusing. Well, gonna go now.

I agree with the power of opinions and to let everybody do their thing.

However i dont get 2 things:

1) What was the point of the event?

AFAIK Women still have their rights untouched.

2) Why are there people so obssesed and ´´proud´´ of their vaginas.

C2vTDXQUcAETXyS.jpg:small

Just imagine how the world would go nuts if men were saying they are proud of their penises.

Im sorry , but this is like a joke. All i saw on my feed were celebrities trying to make speeches and pretend the USA is like the middle east when it comes to women.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Just imagine how the world would go nuts if men were saying they are proud of their penises.
hate to break it to you but they already do

Nabber said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
hate to break it to you but they already do

Hate to break it for you too , but

That does not mean its ok or relevant , in any case. Being ´´proud´´ of your genitals sounds as stupid as it looks , whatever the case is.

I would love to see all this nonsense on the middle east , you know, the third world that actually needs people to stand up for women.

Back