2016 in review.

+ came back here and made a lot of new friends
+ finally started expanding my video game backlog
+ completed 10th grade with pretty decent grades
+ rejoined the 'shroom
+ became more confident in myself
+ became somewhat less sensitive

- way too much to mention

overall this year has been neutral at best, but probably an overall not so great year

I'd also like to add yet again two more things.

I started to make sprites and improved from my first two sprites back in early 2014.

I now have a Mario shirt and a Mario hat.

The L.A. Times put Nintendo on the naughty list for "unleashing the Pokemon Go craze that led people to trespass, fall off cliffs and generally annoy everyone else by blundering around with their phone looking for imaginary creatures".

Seriously? You guys call yourself reporters? What about the whole AM2R / No Mario's Sky / Pokemon Prism / Pokemon fangames / fangames and Metroid Anniversary debacle?

Given its abundance, it appears that stupidity is a desired trait.

For the good stuff, I really improved my drawing and 3D art skills and became much more active here. I also visited Italy.

For the bad stuff, I wrecked my sleep schedule and dropped off the wiki, plus Walkazo and political stuff.

With events such as moving away from my original house and getting my first job, it has been a long year for me. I wouldn't say it was a slow year, it just felt like a long one. I haven't been very happy for quite a while so I will seek to improve myself and my general mood in the near future.

LeftyGreenMario said:
The L.A. Times put Nintendo on the naughty list for "unleashing the Pokemon Go craze that led people to trespass, fall off cliffs and generally annoy everyone else by blundering around with their phone looking for imaginary creatures".

Seriously? You guys call yourself reporters? What about the whole AM2R / No Mario's Sky / Pokemon Prism / Pokemon fangames / fangames and Metroid Anniversary debacle?
Plus Nintendo wasn't involved with Pokemon Go at all anyway

I'm still tore up about losing Walkazo. I wasn't exactly close but we did talk and I miss her being around. I hope it's not in poor taste to bring up a celebrity next but the loss of David Bowie is really a big thing to me, and his music really brings out some powerful feelings, even moreso now than before. I survived my first semester of college, but only just barely. It was pretty rough but I'm actually optimistic about the spring semester. I had two surgeries this year, both of them very very painful. I turned 18. I formed some pretty tight friendships with people on this board that have only really gotten stronger over this year. I've gotten a better friendship with my sister, at first only really being able to bond over music or tv that we both liked. I had my first romantic relationship, which was a mediocre experience but one I'm glad I had. My state flooded, cut my federal scholarship funds (that I earned through academic performance in high school), and had to deal with both police brutality, and brutality towards police. I sat through a year of a shitty campaign season, only for the first election I was old enough to participate in to be absolutely bum. I knew going into it that whoever I elected would be disappointing and disheartening, and my observation was right. There's other stuff I could bring up but those are most of the ones off the top of my head that kind of defined this year for me. All in all a mixed bag, but just like I'm optimistic about next semester of school, I'm optimistic about 2017. I'm not going to jynx it and say things can only go uphill, but I'm looking forward to see how it goes.

Luckily, we have 4 more days until this atrocious year ends.

I wonder if 2017 gets even worse and it becomes a thing to say, "When can we have 2016 back?".

The whole "this is 2016's fault" thing really bothers me because it's just deferring the issues to something that doesn't actually exist, when in reality it's that the baby boomer generation is getting old and started to pass away and that's a lot of people. 2017 will not be any different. 2018 will not be any different. 2019, 2020, 2021, etc. until the largest generation passes. Even without that, death happens. I'm not saying it's not sad or anything, but it happens, and this being a "bad year" means nothing to it. Yeah, I know some of these deaths were accidents or 'before their time' but these along with politics and everything else are things that happen, and I feel that joking around with "haha it's just 2016 being 2016 again can't w8 for 2017 where we'll enter a utopia!!" is just retreating into a bubble where you just repeat to yourself that everything will be ok instead of addressing issues and facing reality.

As I was typing this up, I found an article about it that has a lot of what I was thinking, along with its comment section that has some well-worded rebuttals.

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/12/134034/blaming-2016-curse-celebrity-deaths

I'm not saying to not be optimistic about a better 2017, but, blaming literally 2016 as an anthropomorphized entity just feels extremely odd to me.

I've been wanting to moan about this and kinda did in chat earlier but I felt I should say something here just to get it out of my system and also words are hard.

Good: Moving schools next year, getting a new laptop, successfully installing Linux on a Chromebook

Bad: Bad Luck, Carrie Fisher's death, Assassin's Creed movie, gaining more weight.

Well, my year was actually pretty terrible, but hey, I don't have to deal with the terrible school I go to.

Today is New Years Eve. Goodbye 2016, Hello 2017.

Soo.. What time is it in the Usa? I live in lebanon so year 2017 is already here for me.

IDK it varies within 4 hours. Here in Los Angeles, it's 2:38 PM.

LeftyGreenMario said:
IDK it varies within 4 hours.
i thought in america it was 3 and in canada it's 4.5 5.5 (because one of the provinces decided to add half an hour to their time)

Back